carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 10-09-2020, 07:13 AM   #31
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
Man, I really miss having to worry about winter driving in New England.

Said me never.

LOL.

I think you are all crazy for driving an MX5 even with snows. The car is too light and won’t dig and bite into packed snow. You’d get stuck so easily it’s not funny on poorly plowed roads.
It’s light enough to get along fine without having to dig through the snow.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 07:25 AM   #32
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Eh. I commuted in a Miata with an LSD and snow tires back in Michigan. Yes, it was fun to slide around and play Ari Vatanen, but clambering inside that thing wearing a heavy coat and boots and trying to find space for my hat and briefcase was a PITA. In the winter I'd rather have something like a Golf, especially for commuting.
NC Miatas are quite a bit bigger than the NA / NB you had. If you can't find room for a briefcase in an NC you're not trying very hard. They also have 4x4 ride height from the factory.

But yes, by all means go and buy a brand new Golf that is low to the ground and drive it through winter where it will get chipped up from salt trucks and the front spoiler ripped off by clods of snow left behind by the plows

Seriously though, a Golf is a great choice but I can't imagine going and buying a new car just to subject to winter
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 07:31 AM   #33
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
The best solution would be for you and WDC to split the cost of a used CX-5. She could use it the two weeks a year she needs to haul her son, friends and dog somewhere, and you could use it the two weeks a year there is snow on the roads in NE.

Store it in Clyde's lawn when not in use, it should be about half way between ATL and BOS.

Problem solved for both of you.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 08:24 AM   #34
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
New job and impact of longer commute on cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
The best solution would be for you and WDC to split the cost of a used CX-5. She could use it the two weeks a year she needs to haul her son, friends and dog somewhere, and you could use it the two weeks a year there is snow on the roads in NE.

Store it in Clyde's lawn when not in use, it should be about half way between ATL and BOS.

Lol - perfect!

In all seriousness, I do think a relatively cheap AWD crossover could be the right poor weather complement to the M3. I agree with lem that I wouldn’t want to drive a Miata as a winter beater either.
Old 10-09-2020, 08:27 AM   #35
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 08:42 AM   #36
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
You guys are funny.

Just a quick reminder that I do have close to the best vehicle ever made when it comes to snow - the hakka-equipped LR4. Neither the Miata nor M3 are meant to be used on any kind of packed snow.

Basically, in winter:

1) Dry, clean roads: M3
2) Wet, slushy sandy, recently salted roads with perhaps light snowfall or early into moderate snowfall: Miata
3) Active medium to heavy snowfall, or morning after heavy snowfall where I still I need to go to work: LR4

Last edited by FC; 10-09-2020 at 08:53 AM.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 08:46 AM   #37
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
No doubt. I would happily give up the Miata short-term for a medium-term Boxster.

I still think I will try to get through one more winter in the Miata, if only to get a little more ROI on the winter wheels and tires, and Maybe make the call sometime next year.

It's not as if I can't drive the M3 in the winter, but I want to keep it to clean, dry roads.
Why is the LR not an alternative in these situations?
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 08:53 AM   #38
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Why is the LR not an alternative in these situations?
It is. See my post above.

It's just that that SUV is expensive to run, my wife loves it and it's her primary car, and I do want to baby it because there is nothing like it out there.

But if the weather is bad enough, heck yeah I will take it. I just don't expect it to happen very often at all given that the state has become super wimpy and they shut down if anything is remotely bad, and people just work from home and will be doing that more often post-COVID on bad weather days.

Last edited by FC; 10-09-2020 at 09:04 AM.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 09:22 AM   #39
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:

LOL. Just solved FC’s winter problem in Zach’s Tartufo thread!
Old 10-09-2020, 09:24 AM   #40
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
It is. See my post above.

It's just that that SUV is expensive to run, my wife loves it and it's her primary car, and I do want to baby it because there is nothing like it out there.

But if the weather is bad enough, heck yeah I will take it. I just don't expect it to happen very often at all given that the state has become super wimpy and they shut down if anything is remotely bad, and people just work from home and will be doing that more often post-COVID on bad weather days.
Interesting. You and I must have cross-posted at the same time. Your LR comment wasn’t there when I responded.