carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 04-13-2021, 11:30 AM   #141
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
This kind of juvenile shit is another in the long list making me wait for someone other than Tesla to release an interesting EV.
Taycan, etron GT, Mach E, polestar...there are a few other interesting EVs (or, atleast as "interesting" as any current tesla). Unless you are talking about the type of stunt mentioned above...that is the type of thing that makes tesla "interesting" in the eyes of the public along with stuff like dog mode, fart mode, etc.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 11:41 AM   #142
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
The Taycan is interesting but way too expensive. The rest are SUVs / crossovers, yes? No thanks.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 12:22 PM   #143
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
The Taycan is interesting but way too expensive. The rest are SUVs / crossovers, yes? No thanks.
Meh- kinda splitting hairs I think. It's not like the Model 3 is some great looking sedan. And with all the weight in the floor the usual concern about driving a crossover with an unecessarily high CoG isn't really a concern.
Old 04-13-2021, 12:49 PM   #144
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Meh- kinda splitting hairs I think. It's not like the Model 3 is some great looking sedan. And with all the weight in the floor the usual concern about driving a crossover with an unecessarily high CoG isn't really a concern.
All else being equal, a vehicle that has been jacked up two inches is going to be less capable that a vehicle which hasn't.

And as ashamed as I am to admit it, the exterior of the Model 3 has kind of grown on me. It's even relatively engaging to drive. I'd like to try one of the RWD models.

Maybe the answer is to wait for the EV iteration of the Cayman/Boxster.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 12:55 PM   #145
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
All else being equal, a vehicle that has been jacked up two inches is going to be less capable that a vehicle which hasn't.

And as ashamed as I am to admit it, the exterior of the Model 3 has kind of grown on me. It's even relatively engaging to drive. I'd like to try one of the RWD models.

Maybe the answer is to wait for the EV iteration of the Cayman/Boxster.
Was curious so I did a quick google search of ground clearance. INterestingly, the Model 3 has a gc of 5.5 inches while the Mach E is 5.7. I think the EV crossover thing is more about preserving legroom/headroom given that the batteries occupy height in the floor. So, it's not all that different. Hopefully Audi will come out with an EV version of their A5 Sportback that's based on VW's upcoming BEV platform (that will also form the basis of the EV Macan, etc). An Audi styled EV sedan with a hatch priced like the current A5/S5 would be great. I'm probably dreaming though.

For some reason I'm kind of ambivalent about EV sports cars. Yeah, I think I'd prefer an EV to a 4 cyl turbo any day, but I hope they keep models like the Boxster GTS around
Old 04-13-2021, 05:50 PM   #146
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
I should measure the ground-to-sill distance in both the 3 and the Y. I don’t think they are all that different. The Y is a few inches taller overall.

But I now prefer driving the Y. I like the more upright seating position (same seats - just raised up in the Y)

Handing us similar...
Old 04-13-2021, 06:13 PM   #147
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
This kind of juvenile shit is another in the long list making me wait for someone other than Tesla to release an interesting EV.

I know it's not what we want, but perhaps a sign of more mainstream cars coming...

https://techcrunch.com/2021/04/11/th...ectric-future/
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 08:59 AM   #148
nate
Oh, are they?

Carmudgeonly Ride: S4
Idiots let autopilot kill them and cause thermal run away battery fire.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/18/b...ash-texas.html
Old 04-20-2021, 07:35 AM   #149
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate View Post
Idiots let autopilot kill them and cause thermal run away battery fire.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/18/b...ash-texas.html
Tesla has started that this car did not have “full self driving” - which means autopilot is limited to radar cruise control and lane keeping.

The real question I have is how was it enabled? Why were there 2 people in passenger seats - front and rear? Did the driver get out and run?
Old 04-20-2021, 08:21 AM   #150
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
Tesla has started that this car did not have “full self driving” - which means autopilot is limited to radar cruise control and lane keeping.

The real question I have is how was it enabled? Why were there 2 people in passenger seats - front and rear? Did the driver get out and run?
And yet the one thing no one disputes or questions is that car drove them into a tree without anyone in the driver seat. So, do I hear you saying that Autopilot and/or FSD do not work as intended and two people are dead as a result? Because it really sounds like you are saying that is a real possibility.

But I digress. Although I don't really want to play your game of whataboutism, let's ask some other questions, shall we?
  • Did the vehicles safety systems work as intended? I haven't seen anything saying whether the passengers were wearing seat belts, but did air bags deploy as they should have?
  • Did the passengers die directly from the crash or did they survive the crash and die in the fire (or from smoke/fumes caused by the fire)?
  • Could they have lived had witnesses or rescue personnel been able to reach them?
  • Why is that a car built seven model years post-introduction (and many years after the risk was clear) still catches fire upon impact in a manner that can only burn itself out and not be extinguished by responding fire personnel?

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1384254194975010826

Does anyone else think that public statements from the owner of the company in the immediate wake of its product killing two people is problematic?

Especially when A) your company is already under a multi-year investigation for previous similar incidents where its products have killed people and B) when the statement is based on data he claims his company has and no one else has access to? And data he can presumably alter before it's given to relevant authorities under a subpoena, court order, or a search warrant?

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote