carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 10-25-2020, 07:22 PM   #381
JST

lol. I like the color on that one (obvs) and actually kind of dig the wheels.

There’s an ass for every seat...

I’m much more inclined to get excited about what’s available then wait for what’s perfect. And I’ve absolutely gotten to the point where I’d rather get a deal done than wait and try and chisel a few bucks out of the deal. My time’s worth more than whatever i could slice off the deal.

But I appreciate Clyde’s dilemma. It kind of sucks. If I were him I’d buy the SS he drove and get it over with but then again I probably would have bought something 6 months ago.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 07:42 PM   #382
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
You mean M2C, right?

I saw what you posted and yeah, it’s a lot of money for a car I don’t really want in the most hideous color I’ve ever seen on a car (sorry, but true), with wheels that scream “don’t look at us! Check out how ugly the thing is we’re attached to!”
Ha!

Yes. Meant M2C. Didn’t know you had an issue with that color.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 08:34 PM   #383
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
lol. I like the color on that one (obvs) and actually kind of dig the wheels.

There’s an ass for every seat...

I’m much more inclined to get excited about what’s available then wait for what’s perfect. And I’ve absolutely gotten to the point where I’d rather get a deal done than wait and try and chisel a few bucks out of the deal. My time’s worth more than whatever i could slice off the deal.

But I appreciate Clyde’s dilemma. It kind of sucks. If I were him I’d buy the SS he drove and get it over with but then again I probably would have bought something 6 months ago.
Six months ago was an April unlike any other and at that point, I wasn’t bothered by the idea of having a cheap car sitting in my garage unused compared to buying a much more expensive new car that I’d be paying for and watching warranty slip away day by day as it sat unused.

Today is different. I am driving places more often, etc, so an imperative to act exists that did not exist six months ago.

And I started looking at Chevrolet SSes this evening. There could be some promise here.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 10:45 PM   #384
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Six months ago was an April unlike any other and at that point, I wasn’t bothered by the idea of having a cheap car sitting in my garage unused compared to buying a much more expensive new car that I’d be paying for and watching warranty slip away day by day as it sat unused.

Today is different. I am driving places more often, etc, so an imperative to act exists that did not exist six months ago.

And I started looking at Chevrolet SSes this evening. There could be some promise here.
What did you mean when you said the “power....is something”?

I couldn’t tell which way this is going.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 10:54 PM   #385
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
What did you mean when you said the “power....is something”?

I couldn’t tell which way this is going.
Yes.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 10-25-2020, 11:04 PM   #386
JST

I fully support the SS idea. I regret not buying the one I drove back in...2016?
Old 10-25-2020, 11:26 PM   #387
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
I fully support the SS idea. I regret not buying the one I drove back in...2016?
Reminds me of your “Read my lips” moment.

I really wanted a G8 GXP when I could have gotten one new, rationalized myself out of it and very much regretted it. I continuously had thoughts about the SS when they could be had new, but they didn’t quite fit the need at the time.

I kinda think it might now?

I also wonder if it might be temporary...a few months or year, maybe. Of anything I can think of that might possibly work at solving my dilemma, it also seems to pose the least potential $$$ downside if it doesn’t and I want to change out of it quickly.

I’ve spent the evening trying to shoot holes in the idea and the well runs pretty dry after “no CarPlay.” There seem to be a few known trouble spots, but nothing show stopping. I’d prefer a stick, but a slushie wouldn’t stop me.

I need to drive one.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 10-26-2020, 07:31 AM   #388
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
“no CarPlay.”
sounds like a feature, not a bug
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 07:42 AM   #389
JST

Sigh. I won’t relitigate how close I came to the CTS-V; it was very close until the numbers didn’t work.

A slushie sounds boring AF, you as well get any of the hundreds of other cars available with a slushie. Kia Stinger, for example. The only reason to get an SS is to get a stick.

On my drive, the only thing I noticed is that the low end wasn’t as punchy as I kind of expected it to be. Maybe that’s me being used to EVs and DFI turbos? Was still a ton of fun.

The other thing that gave me pause was the mileage, though I suspect it wouldn’t be any worse than the M3...a car which gets mileage that I have totally stopped bothering to track, since I fill it up about once a month these days.
Old 10-26-2020, 09:55 AM   #390
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
sounds like a feature, not a bug
I don't have many complaints about CarPlay and the ones I do have are mostly pretty minor.
Quote:
Sigh. I won’t relitigate how close I came to the CTS-V; it was very close until the numbers didn’t work.

A slushie sounds boring AF, you as well get any of the hundreds of other cars available with a slushie. Kia Stinger, for example. The only reason to get an SS is to get a stick.

On my drive, the only thing I noticed is that the low end wasn’t as punchy as I kind of expected it to be. Maybe that’s me being used to EVs and DFI turbos? Was still a ton of fun.

The other thing that gave me pause was the mileage, though I suspect it wouldn’t be any worse than the M3...a car which gets mileage that I have totally stopped bothering to track, since I fill it up about once a month these days.
The line in that post has stuck with me in an unnatural manner...as you may have noticed how many times I have referenced it in the past 16 years.

On the stick/auto thing...for a general purpose car, it's a non-issue for me in modern cars. Automatics have gotten good enough while sticks have lost way too much "connection" (and introduced their own major annoyances) through 1s and 0s for it to matter any more. Especially in cars that have gotten too good, too quick, too fast, and too capable to be driven in a fun manner on public roads in all but very rare and isolated moments. Beyond that, I don't see the point in going through the debate again.

As it pertains to the SS, I don't know if the six speed automatic in the SS falls on the right or wrong side of the "automatics have gotten good enough" line.

As for the Stinger or anything else...what other four door sport sedan made since 2010 makes American V8 noises? Chevrolet SS, Cadillac CTS-V, and...

Also, one of the things I'm finding attractive about the SS is my expectation that it stands a better chance at holding value over the next 4-24 months than just about anything else that could be a possibility that isn't a Porsche (which I just can't see myself buying) or an older cheap beater type car. If I can trade one in at a near-future date for anything close to what I pay for it, I wouldn't even lose much by paying extra sales tax on the car that comes after it.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?