carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 07-01-2019, 12:12 PM   #41
ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
But I agree with "someone other than dad." You can say all the right things but sometimes someone says it differently and it sinks in better or is more memorable.
Basically, for the same reasons we parents should avoid directly instructing our own kids when we coach their sports teams. Even if we say the right things, and think we have the correct tone in our voices, the fact that it's coming from Dad just makes it different.

Of course I didn't take my own advice here, though. The behind-the-wheel training at their school sucks, as they're rushed through (so many kids to push through the system), and they don't actually leave the driver's ed parking. My kids all took (and my youngest will take this fall) what the school offers, but I also supplement this at home. I just take extra care to keep comments short, and to backfill with plenty of compliments/encouragement.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 01:24 PM   #42
Nick M3
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
I recall that in my time (mid/late 90's) the best benefit was that driver's ed allowed you to get your license at 16.5yo whereas no formal driver's ed meant waiting until 17yo. So everyone did it just because of that.

But I agree with "someone other than dad." You can say all the right things but sometimes someone says it differently and it sinks in better or is more memorable.
Not so much saying it better or differently, as without parent baggage.

Also, my observation with a lot of parent teachers is that it’s been too long since they learned or taught. Probably less of an issue for carmudgeons, but my Dad was absolutely an awful driving coach.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 01:55 PM   #43
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
I believe there is an insurance benefit to drivers Ed. Might want to check with your policy. Even if they don't get much the instructor, it may still be worth it
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 03:34 PM   #44
clyde
Chief title editor

In process with this with the older one. She is not very inclined towards driving, spatial awareness is not her strong suit, etc, etc, etc.

Here, kids need 30 hours credentialed classroom instruction, six hours on-road instruction with a credentialed instructor, 60 hours on-road "practice" driving with a driver 21 or over with at least three years experience (not including the six hours of instruction), 10 of which must be at night. They have to hold the learners for nine months before they can get a provisional license. First eligible for the learners at 15y 9mo

I taught her the basic mechanics of driving at her speed. A bunch of time in parking lots before eventually hitting the road. She also spent a little time in parking lots with my wife, but almost all of it was with me. We graduated from parking lots to her driving within the neighborhood (all residential side streets, most without markings). Eventually that eased into driving on real roads. She's more comfortable with me in the car than my wife and we try new things before she does them with my wife in the car. I think we're up to about 30 hours now and expect to knock out the rest pretty quickly.

In September (next time one is local), I'm going to have her do a Tire Rack Street Survival School

Originally, the plan was for also learn how to drive a stick and I was going to enlist a friend to do that part, but I think we're going to add learning that later and I think she can do that with me jsut fine.

When the 15yo gets her learner's permit this winter, we'll do the same with her, but much more quickly, I'm sure. And she'll learn to drive a stick almost immediately.

Even though kids generally aren't as into the idea of driving as we were, there are still kids that take to it more easily and some that have to work at it more than others. Some parents are better instructors than others, particularly with driving. Also, some parent/child relationships are well suited to driving instruction and some are not.

I think it works out with my kids and me pretty well. Not so much with my wife. I exude calmness and I don't freak out externally when you're about to drop two wheels into the dirt. Some parents, when trying to tell their child to turn right 1/4 mile ahead on a 35mph street, sound to the kid like the world is about to end and it doesn't get much better from there without some adjustments.

If the kid gets stressed by the parent being in the car, it may be best to find someone else to help. If the parent gets stressed...well, the parent is going to get stressed. If they can't hide it reasonably well, it may be best to find someone else.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 03:35 PM   #45
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
I believe there is an insurance benefit to drivers Ed. Might want to check with your policy. Even if they don't get much the instructor, it may still be worth it
Varies state to state and carrier to carrier

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 03:37 PM   #46
kognito
older fart than ZBB

I have nothing to add. At the time, my school had a very good drivers Ed program. I got about 12 hours behind the wheel during the summer before I I turned 17 (NJ was close to what FC described 16 1/2 permit WITH drivers ED 17 to get my full license)

Time was spent with one other student from my school (who I didn't know at the time) and a teacher. Funny thing, that other student and I have now been great friends for over 39 years!
Old 07-01-2019, 03:39 PM   #47
Alan
Carmudgeon

I always took my kids in their early years driving at office complex's where there is plenty of room and on the weekends they are pretty much empty.

Here in NY drivers Ed is required if you want a license at 17 otherwise you need to wait until your 18 and it is done with an independent drivers ed school that is given at the high school.

I am always teaching my kids about driving even the 2 that have licenses for years. I really feel that I do a better job then a teacher and surprisingly the kids listen unlike when I tell them to keep the sliding door shut or keep their room clean.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 04:03 PM   #48
dan
redefined

Great thoughts clyde, thanks very much for that

Quote:
Here, kids need 30 hours credentialed classroom instruction, six hours on-road instruction with a credentialed instructor, 60 hours on-road "practice" driving with a driver 21 or over with at least three years experience (not including the six hours of instruction), 10 of which must be at night. They have to hold the learners for nine months before they can get a provisional license. First eligible for the learners at 15y 9mo
Man, that's a good bit more restrictive than Texas. Here you can get your learner's as soon as you're 15 and the provisional as soon as you're 16.

My daughter is absolutely excited to start driving. She would be pissed if she wasn't doing every step as soon as legally allowed.
Old 07-01-2019, 04:53 PM   #49
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
In process with this with the older one. She is not very inclined towards driving, spatial awareness is not her strong suit, etc, etc, etc.

I taught her the basic mechanics of driving at her speed. A bunch of time in parking lots before eventually hitting the road. She also spent a little time in parking lots with my wife, but almost all of it was with me. We graduated from parking lots to her driving within the neighborhood (all residential side streets, most without markings). Eventually that eased into driving on real roads. She's more comfortable with me in the car than my wife and we try new things before she does them with my wife in the car. I think we're up to about 30 hours now and expect to knock out the rest pretty quickly.

In September (next time one is local), I'm going to have her do a Tire Rack Street Survival School

Originally, the plan was for also learn how to drive a stick and I was going to enlist a friend to do that part, but I think we're going to add learning that later and I think she can do that with me jsut fine.

When the 15yo gets her learner's permit this winter, we'll do the same with her, but much more quickly, I'm sure. And she'll learn to drive a stick almost immediately.

Even though kids generally aren't as into the idea of driving as we were, there are still kids that take to it more easily and some that have to work at it more than others. Some parents are better instructors than others, particularly with driving. Also, some parent/child relationships are well suited to driving instruction and some are not.

I think it works out with my kids and me pretty well. Not so much with my wife. I exude calmness and I don't freak out externally when you're about to drop two wheels into the dirt. Some parents, when trying to tell their child to turn right 1/4 mile ahead on a 35mph street, sound to the kid like the world is about to end and it doesn't get much better from there without some adjustments.

If the kid gets stressed by the parent being in the car, it may be best to find someone else to help. If the parent gets stressed...well, the parent is going to get stressed. If they can't hide it reasonably well, it may be best to find someone else.
Wow. I don't remember all those requirements when I learned to drive in DC. You got a learner's permit a 15.9 mos, and you took the written and driving test at 16. We did get a discount on car insurance from USAA.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 05:05 PM   #50
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
I somehow missed this thread last year...

Our daughter is 12, so this is coming soon. I like the idea of taking her to a big parking lot and starting to teach the basics. When I was a kid, my family had a ranch where we spent summers — and I learned to drive when I was 6 on a ‘56 Chevy pickup (automatic), and I learned stick when I was 7 on a ‘69 Ford pickup. We were allowed to drive on the rand with another adult in the truck. While only on dirt roads and no parking lots, it did help when I got my permit at 15 1/2. With the permit, my grandparents had a “67 Beetle at their summer place and I spent a week with my grandmother learning from her how to do hill starts with a manual and a hand brake. By the end of that week, she let me drive her ‘83 Supra (also a stick)...

I also need to check the requirements for OH - both age and any drivers ed requirements. When I was growing up in AZ, the requirements were basically to pass the written test when getting the permit, then go back and get a full license at 16. If you took drivers ed, you could skip the driving test and written test when getting your license...

Just checked the Ohio requirements. Permit is at 15 1/2 (called a “TIPIC” below)
Quote:
Originally Posted by https://www.bmv.ohio.gov/dl-gdl.aspx
Driver must complete a driver education class at a licensed driver training school, which includes 24 hours of classroom or online instruction and 8 hours of driving time.
Driver must complete 50 hours of driving, with at least 10 hours of night driving, in addition to the driver education requirements.
Driver must hold the TIPIC for at least six months.

Last edited by ZBB; 07-04-2019 at 05:43 AM.
ZBB is offline   Reply With Quote