carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 03-06-2021, 11:32 AM   #1501
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Actually yes only once in my life and I am embarrassed to say I was in my upper 40's when it happened ... you would think this would happen when you're a kid first starting to drive.

Both of these scenario's would give me major anxiety ... I remember being on a road trip where we were down to the last bar of gas and I was so stressed until we finally found a gas station plus what if the car/gauge is wrong.

Ha I’m the same way. I’m kind of ocd about filling up when the tank is half full whereas my wife lets it go down to almost zero.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 11:34 AM   #1502
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Actually yes only once in my life and I am embarrassed to say I was in my upper 40's when it happened ... you would think this would happen when you're a kid first starting to drive.

Both of these scenario's would give me major anxiety ... I remember being on a road trip where we were down to the last bar of gas and I was so stressed until we finally found a gas station plus what if the car/gauge is wrong.
Both of these were in the first year I owned the Model S -- the first was about 7 months in and the second was 9 months in. The first was really an attempt to fight my anxiety of driving after the yellow light comes on...

For the second, which was our first Tesla Road Trip, I did a lot of planning for that drive that is no longer necessary. We went from Scottsdale to the Grand Canyon for a long weekend (including a couple nights at the El Tovar hotel...). At the time, the Supercharger in Flagstaff was the closest one to us and the only one we'd use on the trip. From our house to the Supercharger was 129 miles, but it was uphill (going from ~2000 feet to ~7000 feet). We were also driving in Feb, so temps were cool (although not super cold that weekend). I had the small battery in the Model S, so it only had ~200 miles rated range -- and the combination of highway speeds and elevation climb meant that we were using close to the full range of the car. But we planned for it -- and this are things that you no longer need to worry about since there are just so many more Superchargers. My planning included identifying 3 locations along the drive to do mileage checks -- if I was below a rated miles threshold, we would need to divert and charge for a bit at either a public charger or RV park. But we didn't need to stop. As I mentioned, this was before the car did all the charge planning onboard -- now you can just put the destination in and it will route you through Superchargers to get where you need to go.

The other thing about driving an EV is that speed has a big impact on range (all cars have the similar impact from wind resistance, but its much more noticeable in and EV). Teslas will suggest slowing down below a certain speed in order to help reach a destination (if it calculates you do not have enough remaining range at the speed you are going). On that first trip, I actually drove the posted speed limit for about 75% of the trip. Only when we crested the last major climb did I speed up a little bit (at that point, I knew we would make it -- ~30ish miles remaining with over 40 miles of rated remaining...
Old 05-04-2021, 01:07 PM   #1503
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
January 2019 Fastrack:
#25733 Class Tesla Model 3 AWD Performance
Per the SAC, add the following listing to Appendix A:
BS Tesla
Model 3 (AWD Performance)(2018)

In BS, it will compete against the 6th gen SS 1LE Camaros, 2015+ Shelby Mustang GT350s, M2s, & F80/82 M3/4s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCCA

The SEB has released the ruleset for a new provisional class - Electric Vehicles Experimental(EVX). This ruleset draws from Street and Street Touring with the intention of choosing common-sense allowances to balance streetability and autocross preparation. Example:In many cases cars come from the factory with narrow wheels to improve real-world range. Wider wheels/tires will diminish range slightly but still work well for street use while improving autocross performance. This new provisional class will be eligible for regional and Tire Rack National events (excluding Solo Nationals) beginning with the 2021 Tire Rack SCCA Chicago Champ Tour event on May 21-23.

The ruleset can be downloaded here: https://www.scca.com/downloads/56244...rules/download
https://www.scca.com/announcements/2...visional-class

So, there's that, now, too.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 02:07 PM   #1504
JST

Quote:
Wait, I haven't been following; wasn't it classed in BS, won the class, then they moved it? Or do I have the timeline wrong?
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 04:14 PM   #1505
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Wait, I haven't been following; wasn't it classed in BS, won the class, then they moved it? Or do I have the timeline wrong?
The 3 Performance was in BS in 2019. Moved along with nearly all other electric cars to SS for 2020 (and now 2021).

The Model 3 (all 3s) is also eligible for ASP Limited Prep ("Limited Prep" provies a subset of *SP allowances in what I think is an attempt to increase participation and competition without upsetting the apple carts too much, but JV could explain it much better).

My post above is about a new class where the 3 and the other electrics will be able to play with some simple mods beginning later this month.

Before anyone complains about lumping all electrics in single provisional class because [reasons], this is the same path that spawned the Street Touring * classes from a single provisional class to four(?) full fledged classes in about five years to five different classes today with at least another three ST* classes that rose and failed in between.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 07-12-2021, 11:19 AM   #1506
JST

I don't get a chance to drive the Model 3 that much anymore, and the chances to drive it on twisty roads are even rarer.

But yesterday I took it to drop the kid off at camp in central VA and had a chance to enjoy some rural country roads in it, solo. These aren't exactly California-spec curvy roads; I didn't even get into the mountains by the Shenandoah Valley. But they were fairly entertaining.

I have to say, all the bullshit about Tesla aside, this is a fun and satisfying car to drive. It's not like the Boxster, but it has its rewards--being able to hear everything, from the birds to the sizzle of the tires in the curves, is really cool. The heavy regen gives you an uncanny feeling of control which is fantastic on an unfamiliar road, where you don't want to be braking super late anyway. And the power...well.

I ended up behind a Buick that was proceeding at Buickpace and when I came to a passing zone I gave the Tesla full whack from about 30 mph and...holy fuck I kind of forgot how fast it is. Like, I almost drove into the ditch because it surprised me so much kind of fast. There is just nothing like the overtaking you can do with this car.

It really is something else, especially because it's so quiet and unassuming otherwise.
Old 07-12-2021, 12:03 PM   #1507
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
being able to hear everything, from the birds to the sizzle of the tires in the curves, is really cool.
I would have thought you'd use the world "squeal" if that's what you meant. Since you did not, I must assume that hearing the "sizzle of the tires" is something different, but I do not understand what it means, "in the curves" or not.

Quote:
I don't get a chance to drive the Model 3 that much anymore,
[snip]
Quote:
There is just nothing like the overtaking you can do with this car.
Not driving as much means less opportunity to enjoy anything about any particular car, but this gets to one my biggest gripes about cars with a performance bent (straight line, turning, transitioning, or any mix and match combo that interests you).

With performance envelopes so far beyond what the fun-sucking Camry and Buick drivers allow us to enjoy when we're stuck behind them (which is pretty much all the fucking time), what does it matter how explosive acceleration is?

What does it matter how communicative the steering is at the limit when when you're going around a curve in a 35mph zone with a 30mph advisory speed that the Buick driver in front of you is taking literally when your tires won't sizzle under 70mph (I don't think I got "sizzle" right, but maybe?)?

I mean, nothing wrong with getting that moment to enjoy what you have, but when you can barely use it, meh.

This is something I've been grappling with a bit on the rare days I drive the Camaro. I can very rarely use it's full power to any real effect. I can't come anywhere close to enjoying it's behavior on the edge and everything below that, while feeling good, also feels boring. It's big saving grace are the V8 noises. If a bit childish, they are fantastic and quite usable at any speed in any conditions. Under load at full throttle, those noises are better, but even just a goose off idle while sitting still is a smile generator.

I look to the electric future and I just don't see myself enjoying the sound of sizzling tires quite the same way...assuming the electric traffic overlords will even allow me to make the tires sizzle.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 07-12-2021, 12:37 PM   #1508
JST

Sizzle in this sense means hearing them on the road, not at the limit of adhesion. That's something you don't hear in a car with an engine, but it's pretty pronounced in a car without one. Is it viscerally as much fun as a big V8 sound? No, but it's an interesting aspect that lets you get closer to the feeling of just being part of the environment. It's like the difference between biking and motorcycling, except faster.

The fast car slow v. slow car fast argument is a long and storied one. I suspect a Miata would have been more fun on these roads. I know the Boxster would have been. I'm not sure what a lower-limit, well-balanced EV would be like in these kinds of circumstances, but I don't think the M3 would have been any better than the Tesla. Louder, certainly, but not more fun.

And honestly the acceleration in the Tesla *is* accessible, and usable, in a way that the similar power in the BMW isn't. That's one thing our electric future will give, at the same time it takes away things like loud noises and shifting. Maybe it's not a good trade, but it's not nothing.
Old 07-12-2021, 02:13 PM   #1509
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Sizzle in this sense means hearing them on the road, not at the limit of adhesion. That's something you don't hear in a car with an engine, but it's pretty pronounced in a car without one.
So, it's something I should hear in the RAV4 Hybrid when the engine is off? I only hear the regular road noise thrum from tires on pavement plus windnoise.

I don't mean to belabor it, but I don't recall seeing anyone reference tire noise like this before and I haven't driven a full time EV, so I really don't get it.

Quote:
And honestly the acceleration in the Tesla *is* accessible, and usable, in a way that the similar power in the BMW isn't.
How usable is power that tries to put you in the ditch?

Quote:
That's one thing our electric future will give, at the same time it takes away things like loud noises and shifting. Maybe it's not a good trade, but it's not nothing.
This is not an Anti-Tesla or anti-EV thing. And I don't mean to suggest that one form is better than the other. I do believe that EVs will be capable of giving much more than they do today in terms of tradeoffs (whether consumer patterns and government regulations will allow them all is another matter) and I fully expect to be happy as a clam in the EV I eventually buy to replace the Camaro as my daily driver (or equivalent since I don't even daily that).

The lamenting and negativity is directed more at the facts that cars are so good today and we have to share the roads with so many people that don't share our driving enjoyment that there is such little opportunity to enjoy exercising the cars we have in really fun ways regardless of their means of propulsion.

I'm glad you got to enjoy yours this weekend.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 07-12-2021, 02:18 PM   #1510
JST

Quote:
So, it's something I should hear in the RAV4 Hybrid when the engine is off? I only hear the regular road noise thrum from tires on pavement plus windnoise.

I don't mean to belabor it, but I don't recall seeing anyone reference tire noise like this before and I haven't driven a full time EV, so I really don't get it.
Have you taken the Rav 4 hybrid for a drive on a winding road with the engine off and the windows down?

Idk, it's not the tires squealing, but it's the tires making noise on the road. Not sure how else to explain it.