carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-10-2020, 04:18 PM   #5
JST

I haven't driven an ND. In fact, it's been decades since I've driven a Miata of any kind. I remember them being extremely hilarious fun, though kind of slow.

And, yeah, it's hard to justify rationally paying 10x a cheap Miata for a 987, though I think it's a lot easier to justify 1.5 to 2X an ND for a 981.

That said...the Boxster is just such a good car. It's so much nicer to drive, in terms of fine detail, than any BMW I've driven--I used to prefer it to the E90 M3, and I still prefer it to the F80. The 987 and the 981 are pretty different, but my short drives in 981s leave me convinced that that inherent goodness remains in those cars.

It's the kind of car you can buy and keep for 10 years or more, and every now and then think "I don't drive that enough, I should sell it," and then decide "no, I just like it too much and I'll never find anything better for the price." Ask me how I know.

I still want a 911, but I think I mostly want a 911 because I haven't had one. I don't think the 911 is a better sports car even if it's faster.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote