carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 08-16-2018, 09:46 AM   #21
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
X5 with third row. Try to get the real sports suspension. Get a Thule rooftop box as well, because once you deploy the third row, there isn't much cargo room left.

Or, wait for the new 3 wagon.

Or, wait for the X7.

There really is an advantage to having something taller on the highway. And the X5 visibility from its greenhouse is great.

Mercedes E63. Although my spouse really didn't like the one she drove (lots of power lag.) Perhaps the new engines have fixed the problem in the current model.

Used Panamera, perhaps. Is there one with seating for three in the back? Our loaner had two bucket seats.

The advantage to the lower wagon solutions is easier access to the roofbox, which you will still need.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 09:56 AM   #22
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
X5 with third row. Try to get the real sports suspension. Get a Thule rooftop box as well, because once you deploy the third row, there isn't much cargo room left.

Or, wait for the new 3 wagon.

Or, wait for the X7.

There really is an advantage to having something taller on the highway. And the X5 visibility from its greenhouse is great.

Mercedes E63. Although my spouse really didn't like the one she drove (lots of power lag.) Perhaps the new engines have fixed the problem in the current model.
Did she drive the E63 wagon? I remember your comments on the standard e wagon being a dog, but didn't know you sampled the e63 as well. I was bummed when you commented how un-fun the e wagon was, I had high hopes that it would be our next car.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:04 AM   #23
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
Did she drive the E63 wagon? I remember your comments on the standard e wagon being a dog, but didn't know you sampled the e63 as well. I was bummed when you commented how un-fun the e wagon was, I had high hopes that it would be our next car.
Oops, sorry. No, she just drove the standard E350.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:21 AM   #24
Nick M3
Relic

If this is really an occasional trip thing, why not just rent a suburban or something?
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:45 AM   #25
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
If this is really an occasional trip thing, why not just rent a suburban or something?
Bah. Renting sucks ass.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:48 AM   #26
clyde
Chief title editor

If you really need to put 3 people in the back for long periods of time, I guess it depends on the kids. I wouldn't want to risk hours of non-stop "STOP TOUCHING ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DAAAAADDD!!!!!!!! MMMOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!"

OTOH, my sister-in-law's family does all their long distance traveling in a Nissan Frontier with the 16, 12, and 9 year old kids in the back seat and they don't seem to have problems.

Nick's rental idea is what I'd go with if I were you, especially given how close you are to the airport.

Something else to consider, which I offer only to see you scoff "no", is an old school SJ Jeep Wagoneer as a third (er, fourth) vehicle.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 10:49 AM   #27
wdc330i
dogged

What about an Acura MDX? Admittedly, I've never driven one...

At any rate, our F15 X5 V8 does everything we need it to. And, it hauls ass.
Old 08-16-2018, 11:18 AM   #28
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
So the play here is you'd unload the Golf R and get a "larger than a Model Hamburger" second car to take on trips to the beach?

Is the driving requirement here 1) more luggage space or B) more elbow room for rugrats? If B, there isn't much other than "three row SUV" that fits the bill. Any sedan type thing is going to be about the same amount of space as a Model Hamburger for three kids across, right? I may be totally wrong, an Accord may truly have more hip / shoulder room than a 3. It certainly looks larger. But at that point why not just get rid of both the Golf R and the 3 and drive an Accord? Financially and functionally that makes the most sense.

If the answer is 1), some kind of cool hatchback/wagon type thing might be the answer. Panamera (though I hesitate to call that dog-taking-a-dump "cool"), Mercedes/AMG wagon (how much ya got to spend on maintenance and repairs?) might be options.

Haven't you for years promoted the merits of various Ford EcoBoost SUV things (Edge, Flex, etc, I can't keep those things straight)? Sounds like it's time to put your money where your mouth is At least they'll (probably) be cheap to own and operate.
It's really a hip room thing in the back seat. The Model S is wide enough that three across is doable (that's one of the reasons I got one, because back when I needed car seats, it would take 3 across). The Model 3 is probably not, at least comfortably. In every other way the 3 and S are roughly equivalent, though because the S is a hatchback it can accept bulky cargo that the 3 can't--but the trunk opening in the 3 is surprisingly large.

I like Nick's plan. Renting is a pain but if we are really talking about 1 or 2 trips a year, it makes more sense than driving some giant tank around (and parking it--both my wife and I park in underground garages).

But ha ha on Ecoboost things. Yes, I am hoist on my petard there. The current gen Explorer blows, but I suspect the new one is going to be a lot more interesting to drive.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 11:51 AM   #29
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Maybe I'm the only one that feels this way, but rooftop carriers are a pain in the ass across the board.

Suburbans (Expeditions, etc) are the perfect rental vehicles. I can't see a reason to ever buy one. They are absurdly expensive new, and relatively cheap to rent (every time I've gone to rent one they are cheaper than a Chrysler minivan... odd).

Anyway, this is my way of saying I agree with Nick... keep the cars you have for now and when you make your first trip, go rent something.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 12:59 PM   #30
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post

Used Panamera, perhaps. Is there one with seating for three in the back? Our loaner had two bucket seats.
Unfortunately the rear buckets are the only option

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post

OTOH, my sister-in-law's family does all their long distance traveling in a Nissan Frontier with the 16, 12, and 9 year old kids in the back seat and they don't seem to have problems.

I was just in the backseat of a Frontier a couple of weeks ago, it was horrible, you sit so straight up I was super uncomfortable. I couldn't wait to get out of it and that was only a 5 minute ride.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote