carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 12-31-2014, 08:46 AM   #1021
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Tesla posted a blog that goes through the range differences between models and speed. Lots of good info...

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/driv...model-s-family
Old 12-31-2014, 10:14 AM   #1022
JST

Tesla Model S waffling

That is some good and interesting info.

I think there's a pretty real risk that Tesla is going to get in trouble with the EPA for selling cars that do not conform to the range disclosures (and presumably the efficiency ratings) on the stickers. This whole downloadable software issue is uncharted territory, though.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 12:49 PM   #1023
robg
Carmudgeon

Tesla Model S waffling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
That is some good and interesting info.

I think there's a pretty real risk that Tesla is going to get in trouble with the EPA for selling cars that do not conform to the range disclosures (and presumably the efficiency ratings) on the stickers. This whole downloadable software issue is uncharted territory, though.

Yeah - that is pretty risky to claim an EPA number that isn't yet available. Though they'll probably be fine because they'd likely only get in trouble if the EPA audited their numbers in the next few months prior to the software updates. Most cars aren't even tested by the EPA
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 12:51 PM   #1024
ZBB
Relic

I updated my Tesla log spreadsheet today, which happens to be exactly 19 months since delivery. Here's some tidbits:

Odometer: 29,653
Total energy used: 8,681.8 kWh
Efficiency: 292.9 Wh/mile -- that equates ~125 MPGe

I also track my Supercharges. After yesterday's day trip, I've now Supercharged 42 times at 24 unique Supercharger sites. 3 sites close to me (Wickenburg, Cordes Junction and Flagstaff) now have 3 visits each. Here are some stats on Supercharging:
Total Rated Miles added by Supercharger: 4,815
Estimated kWh added by Superharger: 1,444.5
Average Supercharging speed: 123 miles added per hour of charge
Average Supercharge duration: 56 minutes
Average cost per Supercharge: $48 ($2k option / 42 visits)
Average cost per kWh: $1.38 (so 23x the cost of charging at home…)
Average cost per rated mile added: $0.42
Since the cost was one-time, the average cost will continue to go down with more supercharges. If I keep the car for just over 4 years, the option would have cost $50/month -- so less than one tank of gas per month of ownership.
% of total miles added by Supercharging: 16.3%

Excluding Superchargers, the car has used ~7,238 kWh. Most of that was charged at home, some was via public chargers and a few charges at either my parents or in-laws. We pay about 6-7 cents per kWh at home, so the total cost of charging at home was under $500 -- for the ~25k miles I've charged at home. That's 2 cents per mile!
Old 01-04-2015, 12:52 PM   #1025
ZBB
Relic

I updated my Tesla log spreadsheet today, which happens to be exactly 19 months since delivery. Here's some tidbits:

I also track my Supercharges. After yesterday's day trip, I've now Supercharged 42 times at 24 unique Supercharger sites. 3 sites close to me (Wickenburg, Cordes Junction and Flagstaff) now have 3 visits each. Here are some stats on Supercharging:
Estimated kWh added by Supercharger: 1,444.5
Average cost per kWh: $1.38 (so ~21x the cost of charging at home…)
Since the cost was one-time, the average cost will continue to go down with more supercharges. If I keep the car for just over 4 years, the option would have cost $50/month -- so less than one tank of gas per month of ownership.

Excluding Superchargers, the car has used ~7,238 kWh. Most of that was charged at home, some was via public chargers and a few charges at either my parents or in-laws. We pay about 6-7 cents per kWh at home, so the total cost of charging at home was under $500 -- for the ~25k miles I've charged at home. That's 2 cents per mile for fuel cost!

If I combine the Supercharger option and the ~$500 for charging at home, my average cost per mile for energy is about 8.5 cents per mile. For comparison, a car that gets 22MPG (which is what my previous 2 cars averaged) would have fuel cost at $0.09 for $2/gallon gas.
Old 01-04-2015, 08:46 PM   #1026
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post

Estimated kWh added by Supercharger: 1,444.5
Average cost per kWh: $1.38 (so ~21x the cost of charging at home…)

Excluding Superchargers, the car has used ~7,238 kWh. Most of that was charged at home, some was via public chargers and a few charges at either my parents or in-laws. We pay about 6-7 cents per kWh at home, so the total cost of charging at home was under $500 -- for the ~25k miles I've charged at home. That's 2 cents per mile for fuel cost!

If I combine the Supercharger option and the ~$500 for charging at home, my average cost per mile for energy is about 8.5 cents per mile. For comparison, a car that gets 22MPG (which is what my previous 2 cars averaged) would have fuel cost at $0.09 for $2/gallon gas.
your numbers are impressive.

they match the numbers my colleagues around Kendall Square get in their Volts. they are equally fastidious about both recording these data as well as sharing with me.

there is a clear benefit in moving to electrical power.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 10:00 PM   #1027
ZBB
Relic

re: fastidiousness...

I was never that fastidious about keeping detailed logs with previous cars. For the CTS and Boxster, I started using an iPhone app to record mileage every time I filled up, and that data was helpful when I started doing the total cost to own analysis when perseverating the Tesla.

But that app wouldn't work for the Tesla, so I decided to keep a log. To make it easier, I just take periodic photos of the dash with the energy use stats displayed - at the end of each month, at the start and end of supercharging, and at the start and end of any trips. I also reset one of the trip meters each month, and the other each year. I then update a spreadsheet with the logs on it about once a month.

It's been helpful to me to learn about the car -- everything is new compared to what we grew up with...
Old 01-04-2015, 10:19 PM   #1028
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
re: fastidiousness...

I was never that fastidious about keeping detailed logs with previous cars. For the CTS and Boxster, I started using an iPhone app to record mileage every time I filled up, and that data was helpful when I started doing the total cost to own analysis when perseverating the Tesla.

But that app wouldn't work for the Tesla, so I decided to keep a log. To make it easier, I just take periodic photos of the dash with the energy use stats displayed - at the end of each month, at the start and end of supercharging, and at the start and end of any trips. I also reset one of the trip meters each month, and the other each year. I then update a spreadsheet with the logs on it about once a month.

It's been helpful to me to learn about the car -- everything is new compared to what we grew up with...
i'd be happy if GM relented, and saw the value in having a Cadillac equivalent that is more on par with the Tesla.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 11:09 AM   #1029
JST

At 12 degrees, your energy usage goes up a tad.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 11:26 AM   #1030
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
At 12 degrees, your energy usage goes up a tad.[IMG]]
what does that equate to in total range?
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote