carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 07-21-2008, 04:36 PM   #1
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Random car thoughts/observations from the last few weeks

-The CTS is a sharp car. It's a shame the CTS-V doesn't have the big grille. I liek it.

-The local P-car dealer ship has a GT2. Damn that thing has big brakes, and those new CF seats look spretty badass. I'll have to ask them to unlock it to try them out. I doubt there will ever be another car with those seats on the showroom floor. Those tires feel soft as playdough. Dude (FWIW) said they are rated for 5K miles and rears cost $800 a pop. Riiiight.

-Damn, I rally want a Jeep Ult. They look so cool. Did I mention this before?

-My BMW got hit again in the front bumper. Awesome! Lady waited for me to get back to my car (outside babys r us). Maybe it's time for an MCS.

-Wow, my mom's Volvo XC70 sucks compard to my V70R. Numb, slow, seats flat as a bark bench, handles like crap. Me no likey - still.

-I keep noticing people driving slower. Maybe it's just me.

-Row of Dodge pick-ups at local dealership has not moved in weeks. We're talking several dozen all lined up. There are always a half dozen salesmen roaming by the front door like vultures.

That's all I remember right now.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 04:40 PM   #2
TD
Founder emeritus

On a related not, have you noticed that if you come up on a car with license plates reading something like SEXYLDY or CUTIEPI (etc....) that the driver simply *ain't*.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 06:31 PM   #3
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
The local ford dealer has a bunch of tarted-up F150s and Mustangs (one of them says "427" in big font on the side) that have been sitting there for at least four months. The F150s have JC Whitney / Pep Boys style tack-on hood scoops, big ole' rims with knobby tires and running boards.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 07:22 PM   #4
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuka View Post
800 bucks a pop for rears sounds about right for dealers.

Let me guess, the GT2 was ordered in some boring ass color like white, silver, or black?

At least they didn't saddle it with a sunroof, unlike the regular GT3's.
Naturally... light grey.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 07:01 AM   #5
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuka View Post
V8 sedan prices are taking a huge beating, foreign and domestic.

Makes me really happy that we are in the market for one.
With gas prices heading south again, maybe you should snag one. But then again I don't think v8 prices will recover for a while... The Civic Si takes regular and we paid only 3.89 yesterday.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 07:09 AM   #6
equ
Alphanumeric

I have a few observations:

1. The e90 330i sport rocks. The sport suspension and 18" potenzas ride better than the awd suspension and 17" turanzas. If on very bad roads, just lower pressures 1-2 psi. The handling (while not twitchy exciting) is spot on for a sedan. You have to be a real idiot to unsettle this car, the 'xi' not so.

2. More and more, I drive like an old man. But I still don't see how I could use more power with either the 330i or the cayman. I get to floor the pedal for a few seconds at a time per day, those few seconds would be cut in half.

3. Getting into sat radio again now that I have it. Had xm on the audi, but somehow liking the sirius on this bmw better. Either content, or sound quality (logic7 >> bose) or maybe being between jobs as I am these days makes you appreciate things more.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:53 PM   #7
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
I noticed that the less expensive Shell station that we go to (it's between our house and the highway, so right on our route) has many, many fewer cars jockeying for position then it used to. It was sort of startling the last time I went filled up.

I counted cars vs. SUVs as I rode my bike past them waiting to get on the highway (I have to get on the highway for one exit to cross a lake). 12 SUVs, 2 cars. Its going to take a few years for the number of SUVs on the road to drop appreciably.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 03:39 PM   #8
equ
Alphanumeric

Actually, my gf keeps claiming that on the road there are far fewer SUV's. It is possible that people with multiple cars (or one car one suv) will choose the car more often. So the miles driven by suv's will drop quicker than the actual number of suv's out there.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:03 PM   #9
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
I think on the road, there are fewer cars, period. But I haven't noticed much of a change in the composition.

It could be completely geographically dependent though. Who knows?
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 08:06 PM   #10
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwg View Post
I think on the road, there are fewer cars, period. But I haven't noticed much of a change in the composition.

It could be completely geographically dependent though. Who knows?
i drive by a bunch of dealers on my way to work. it's noticeable the huge inventory of SUVs both new and pre-owned.

the honda dealer has more trucks than cars in the trade in lot --the new cars look like they move at a serious clip and word from my co-workers is that it's damn hard to get much money off of MSRP on new honda cars at the moment.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote