carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 04-26-2023, 09:06 PM   #31
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
My current build. https://configurator.porsche.com/en-...dFrom=PR3SQQ84

The crazy thing… for $5.5k less I could acquire a fairly well equipped ‘24 X5 M60i. Oh, and I had to trim off a lot of things that I would like to have on that Cayenne build. It was a struggle to get it at the price that it is currently at.
Yeah..that's always the frustrating part of any porsche configurator. You end up spending 20K+ on options and still dont have everything you'd want ideally.

FWIW, i'd probably go with the 20" cayenne sport wheels for $1k instead of $3k for the 21s...get more sidewall plus I dont think the 21s look that much better.

Also, i'd probably add the ventilated seats. They're so nice to have...and a relative bargain by porsche option standards..

I"m also conflicted about the chrome vs black window trim. Normally I'd go with black but I agree with JST that the chrome helps accentuate the windowline. Its something I go back and forth on with all porsches actually. Saw a Macan the other day with the chrome trim and liked it better.

I'd also want to hear the sport exhaust system to determine whether its really worth spending 3k on.

Last edited by robg; 04-26-2023 at 09:16 PM.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 09:13 PM   #32
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
Nice looking car and I get your preference for Porsche over BMW, but couldn’t bring myself to spend north of $100k for this with a 6cyl when compared to what you get for less in a X5 M60.
I totally agree.

I took a run at building a ‘24 Cayenne S and it was pushing $130k.

I do not know what I am going to do. I am not at all agreeable to the above for a base Cayenne and an S is definitely not happening. I am done with new BMW SAVs so no clue where to look now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Yeah..that's always the frustrating part of any porsche configurator. You end up spending 20K+ on options and still dont have everything you'd want ideally.

FWIW, i'd probably go with the 20" cayenne sport wheels for $1k instead of $3k for the 21s...get more sidewall plus I dont think the 21s look that much better.

Also, i'd probably add the ventilated seats. They're so nice to have...and a relative bargain by porsche option standards..

I'd also want to hear the sport exhaust system to determine whether its really worth spending 3k on.
I want the new 22s. My 0.02, the 20s are to small. Road conditions here are not really a major concern.

I do not like ventilated seats. All they do is blow interior air. They also make the seat cushioning slightly thinner. I did extensive research on this prior to ordering my current X5.

Agree re the exhaust.

The reality is I do not foresee me ordering a Cayenne given what you get in comparison to a BMW, but I am not ordering one of those either.

Edit: My X5 M60i build https://www.bmwusa.com/build-your-ow...ye5xxs/summary

Last edited by SCA; 04-26-2023 at 09:27 PM.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 09:17 PM   #33
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
I totally agree.

I took a run at building a ‘24 Cayenne S and it was pushing $130k.

I do not know what I am going to do. I am not at all agreeable to the above for a base Cayenne and an S is definitely not happening. I am done with new BMW SAVs so no clue where to look now.
Q8 or SQ8? Same engines and platform as the cayennes..
Old 04-26-2023, 09:38 PM   #34
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Q8 or SQ8? Same engines and platform as the cayennes..
Audi service here is in the toilet. The same family that owns Porsche owns Audi. Friends that work at Porsche have stated that there are internal issues at Audi, allegedly management.
Old 04-26-2023, 10:29 PM   #35
robg
Carmudgeon

2024 Porsche Cayenne Facelift Revealed

Quote:
Audi service here is in the toilet. The same family that owns Porsche owns Audi. Friends that work at Porsche have stated that there are internal issues at Audi, allegedly management.

Ah that sucks. Yeah I don’t have any other suggestions that I think you’ll find acceptable. Sounds like you want a midsize european luxury SUV with somewhat sporty handling that you’d be comfortable buying and keeping for 7+ years. If you take Porsche , bmw and Audi out of the picture it gets pretty tough.

Im kind of intrigued by Porsche CPO cars since they come with a 6 year warranty from original sale date. Sometimes it’s possible to find a CPO 22 Porsche with a longer warranty than a new one! But I’m pretty sure you said before that you only want to buy new and spec it exactly how you want it

Fwiw I do love our RRS and am contemplating buying an extended warranty so that I can keep it longer. Think dealers are still asking ADMs on new ones though. I know lemming has loved his Mercedes SUVs
Old 04-27-2023, 07:01 AM   #36
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:

Fwiw I do love our RRS and am contemplating buying an extended warranty so that I can keep it longer.
This would be my recommendation if you don't want another x5. The RR/LR lineup is really solid (if you get one not made near happy hour, all day Friday or all day Monday).

I've said it a bunch, but I've been totally underwhelmed by the Cayenne's I've driven. I've had a few for multiple day loaners and was happy to give them back without a second thought. The base engine was underpowered (much more so than the b58 in my x5) and they didn't handle *that* much better than everything else -they're still a big, heavy, high CoG SUV- to outweigh the drawbacks in usability, infotainment, ergonomics, etc. At the same pricepoint I would take the X5 or RR product over one. The fact Porsche expects me to pay $25k more makes the decision all the easier.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 08:33 AM   #37
SCA
Jaded

My issue with the new RR is the V8 model is equipped with a BMW N63.

Imhave tired my hardest to build a Cayenne S long roof and short roof, coupe and keep it around $105-107k. Impossible task for me. FYI, the GTS is gone for 2024 and the S now has a new V8.

It is looking like another X5 at this point and I wish you guys could hear me say that verbally. No enthusiasm… If I needed the space I would order an X7 because I greatly prefer the exterior design, pre-LCI and LCI.

Edit: I went and built a X7 40i. Not bad… https://www.bmwusa.com/build-your-ow...y5bzva/summary

Last edited by SCA; 04-27-2023 at 09:36 AM.
Old 04-27-2023, 09:15 AM   #38
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Either I've gotten used to the larger kidneys, or other BMW's have proportionately more massive ones, or they've made some kind of update, but the front kidneys don't look nearly as offensive as they once did.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 09:42 AM   #39
JST

I’m not going to reopen the SUV debate here, though I’ll note that I still don’t understand buying something like an X5 or a Cayenne for any use case in my life.

But yeah, I looked at the build link and didn’t realize it was a *base* Cayenne for 100k plus. Lol NFW that’s worth it.

I know wagons are harder and harder to find, but an absolutely loaded A6 Allroad is $25,000 cheaper, and would be my choice all day every day.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2023, 10:04 AM   #40
SCA
Jaded

Well… if one does not care for sedans nor wagons you buy an SUV. What Americans do. We are well aware of the stigma associated with wagons within the U.S. and Americans have abundantly voted via their wallets against them.

I, personally prefer sitting higher for the visibility as the majority of the vehicles on the road are SUVs/Trucks, especially in the Southeast. Furthermore, when traveling in rain the spray from tractor trailers is significantly reduced.

Edit, I built a RR 400 Sport. $103k. Pass…

The X5 is the clear value winner even when loaded up. The big unknown with the V8 X5 M60i is the all new S68 engine which is also shared with the LCI X5M Comp. Yes, the M60i has a true M engine, hence the S designation.

Last edited by SCA; 04-27-2023 at 10:22 AM.