carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Off Topic Forums > Biker's Detour

Old 08-09-2005, 09:10 PM   #11
3LOU5
Slacker Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredmo
Holy shit bro... it is Trinidad. Impressive.
Yup, you pitched.....I saw a hanging curve ball.......I swing........AND IT'S UP AND OVER THE GREEN MONSTER !!!!!!

(or should I say, into McCovey Cove........)
3LOU5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 10:14 PM   #12
dredmo
Chillaxin'

Carmudgeonly Ride: '05 C50, '04 F-150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadstergal
I'm prohibited from posting pics with mountains these days, I think...

And hey, what is this - a Bike Pics thread or a Scenery Pics thread?

BOTH
dredmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 07:17 AM   #13
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Two words - Mesh gear.
My summer gear is Joe Rocket Phoenix (mesh with kevlar and foam elbows / shoulders / back). It doesn't help much when it's 95 degrees with 90% humidity. I just drive the car on those days.

It's only supposed to be 87 today (thunderstorms after 4 PM) so I rode.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 12:09 PM   #14
Roadstergal
Butting in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V
My summer gear is Joe Rocket Phoenix (mesh with kevlar and foam elbows / shoulders / back).
Ditto... you just need to ride faster.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:42 PM   #15
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
Quote:
I'm prohibited from posting pics with mountains these days, I think...

And hey, what is this - a Bike Pics thread or a Scenery Pics thread?
I was certainly not referring to you. The city is a fine picture and I know mountains are coming. I am fairly certain you aren't banned from posting pictures of mountains in the Bike thread. Just the pub.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 01:17 PM   #16
3LOU5
Slacker Extraordinaire

I thought about contributing to this thread, but all of my bike pics are recorded in non-digital 35 mm format. And because I'm currently on the road and have no access to my pics and a scanner, maybe I could somewhat contribute and get some correspondence among bike riders here by posting some pics/remarks of the bikes I've the pleasure of owning, if that's okay.

My first bike was a Honda XR200R, one that is very similar to this attached pic. I bought it from my commanding officer while stationed in Ft. Campbell, KY, and knew just the basics of how to shift. When I took it out for a test ride, I remember stalling it and my C.O. saying, "Are you SURE you know how to ride this??" But I was determined to take that bike around a few blocks, which I did with uneventful results.

It was on this bike that I learned to ride in about an hour, but only because I already knew how to drive a manual tranny-equipped car. Plus, it really helped that my other more experienced dirt-riding buddies were with me. I remember taking overnight camping trips with them in Land Between The Lakes in the rural mountains of Kentucky and just having a blast. With miles and miles of riding trails, one could easily get lost, but you know what they say, "safety in numbers". My buddies all rode Red: XL250, XR500, and XR600; but one had a Kawi KDX200.

I remember this bike fondly (sold it for a street bike) because it was my "first" and I truly learned how to ride by sliding the rear. (In fact, a lot of roadracers like Kenny Roberts keep their skills up by riding little XR100s around the dirt). The other thing I remember about this bike was its invulnerability; it was short of being bulletproof ! I just remember dumping it many, MANY times or even bogging in a deep stream and the thing would always run. The only time that it let me down (pun intended) was when I fell and broke the clutch lever. Of course, my buddies helped me out by jerry-rigging the cable and I limped home in first gear. Fun times, indeed.

In any case, if you guys/gals think this post is not appropriate in the spirit of this thread, let me know and I will delete it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	XR200_jump.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	37  
3LOU5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 01:23 PM   #17
dredmo
Chillaxin'

Carmudgeonly Ride: '05 C50, '04 F-150
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3LOU5
I thought about contributing to this thread, but all of my bike pics are recorded in non-digital 35 mm format. And because I'm currently on the road and have no access to my pics and a scanner, maybe I could somewhat contribute and get some correspondence among bike riders here by posting some pics/remarks of the bikes I've the pleasure of owning, if that's okay.

My first bike was a Honda XR200R, one that is very similar to this attached pic. I bought it from my commanding officer while stationed in Ft. Campbell, KY, and knew just the basics of how to shift. When I took it out for a test ride, I remember stalling it and my C.O. saying, "Are you SURE you know how to ride this??" But I was determined to take that bike around a few blocks, which I did with uneventful results.

It was on this bike that I learned to ride in about an hour, but only because I already knew how to drive a manual tranny-equipped car. Plus, it really helped that my other more experienced dirt-riding buddies were with me. I remember taking overnight camping trips with them in Land Between The Lakes in the rural mountains of Kentucky and just having a blast. With miles and miles of riding trails, one could easily get lost, but you know what they say, "safety in numbers". My buddies all rode Red: XL250, XR500, and XR600; but one had a Kawi KDX200.

I remember this bike fondly (sold it for a street bike) because it was my "first" and I truly learned how to ride by sliding the rear. (In fact, a lot of roadracers like Kenny Roberts keep their skills up by riding little XR100s around the dirt). The other thing I remember about this bike was its invulnerability; it was short of being bulletproof ! I just remember dumping it many, MANY times or even bogging in a deep stream and the thing would always run. The only time that it let me down (pun intended) was when I fell and broke the clutch lever. Of course, my buddies helped me out by jerry-rigging the cable and I limped home in first gear. Fun times, indeed.

In any case, if you guys/gals think this post is not appropriate in the spirit of this thread, let me know and I will delete it.
No man, great post, great story! Thanks for posting it.

We gotta get you a digital camera though.
dredmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 05:48 PM   #18
Roadstergal
Butting in.

Old 08-20-2005, 06:27 PM   #19
Roadstergal
Butting in.

Bubye to the GS. What a delightful little bike. If I had the bux, I'd keep it and just trade in the SV.

Old 12-08-2005, 03:55 PM   #20
LmtdSlip
Fresh-faced Optimist

Carmudgeonly Ride: 325ic
Here is mine...

LmtdSlip is offline   Reply With Quote