carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 03-02-2023, 09:49 PM   #1581
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
The one caution I would note is making sure that you’re eligible for the tax credits which Tesla may be building into that price. I think the most recent credits have an income based sunset.
Yep. The 7500 federal tax credit now has a income cap for elgibility. There's also an MSRP price cap for sedans (55k) and SUVs (80k). Starting in April, there will be additional guidance around where the battery is assembled and the minerals are sourced. Unclear if any EV or PHEV will qualify for some or all of the credit at that point. (For example, the LFP batteries in the RWD model 3 are sourced from China).

However, there's also currently a loophole that exists for leasing companies to take advantage of a similar credit that doesn't have all those restrictions. They can of course use that to lower the cost of the lease. Some VW brands were running a promotion about a month ago that featured this credit. Hard to tell if Tesla makes use of this credit as part of their current leases since they dont provide much detail.

The state and local tax EV credits vary in their elgibiltiy as well but are generally less restrictive. It's nice when you can combine both.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 09:53 PM   #1582
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
I am seeing that price when I build it for my zip too. Did he lower the price? I thought it was a lot more expensive nowadays or is that jus the SUV version?
Yes they lowered their prices again about a month ago since they once again qualified for the federal tax credit (which now sets price caps for sedans and SUVs). They also seem to have temporarily cut certain models (for example, you can't currenlty order a regular AWD 3; only a performance version).
robg is offline   Reply With Quote