carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 11-23-2011, 09:06 AM   #11
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Toyobaru mileage is supposed to suck. I think they're predicting 19/27? Miserable for a light, four cylinder car.
That is terrible. What's the issue? I thought that the new Subaru engine was supposed to be better on gas than the old lump.
JST is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:07 AM   #12
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
We liked the TDI over many other cars. It won't give you bmw/audi NVH/isolation but it's grunty and well-handling for a FWD.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:09 AM   #13
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
We liked the TDI over many other cars. It won't give you bmw/audi NVH/isolation but it's grunty and well-handling for a FWD.
I haven't driven the VW version, but I liked the Audi A3 TDI that I drove quite a bit (lack of a stick aside).
JST is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 09:12 AM   #14
Optimus Prime
Carmudgeon

Carmudgeonly Ride: Golf TDi
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Veloster? Fiat? Scion tC? Wait for Toyobaru? Mustang V6? Genesis coupe?
I'm going to drive the Veloster, but wasn't really impressed when I looked at it on the showroom floor. It's just a Kia Forte with crazy styling. I'd need the Abarth version of the Fiat and I'm just not sure I could justify that, I'm thinking about the Scion, but the older design leaves them lagging in MPG, Mustang isn't the most practical winter car; I already have the Motorcycle I ride when the roads aren't frozen. Genesis coupe is a little pricey I thought, but I haven't really looked at it. I was trying to stick with things that had a practical rear seat. I might sacrifice that need for a MINI though.
Quote:
Toyobaru mileage is supposed to suck. I think they're predicting 19/27? Miserable for a light, four cylinder car.
This^
I really like Subaru's; but the MPG is crap. In fact there seems to be a bit of a technology gap that some manufacturers have made and other's haven't. The clear example is Mazda, the 3 is essentially the same car, but they spent a bunch of time on the engine and transmission and went from low 30's to 40 mpg highway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMR View Post
I second the Golf TDI. I looked at and drove one a few months back and loved it. For me it would be a perfect commuter up here in Chicago. The only issue for me was the cost. The sticker price gets up there quick when you add the good stuff on.

I would take a look at the Honda Fit Sport also. Drive one and you might be surprised at how go cart like it is. It's also got a great amount of utility in it.
I was really impressed with the Golf TDI base model I tested. The only options I would really want would be xenon and their comfort access equivalent. You can't get either independently, so I'd just live without those and get the base model.

The fit's MPG was a lot lower than I was expecting, and the local dealer is known to be crap. I went to test drive one and was in the showroom for 20 minutes without anyone checking on me. I then went to find a salesman and it was like pulling teeth. This was odd since I was the only customer in the showroom.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:52 AM   #15
RMR
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2020 Honda Civic Hatch Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
The fit's MPG was a lot lower than I was expecting, and the local dealer is known to be crap. I went to test drive one and was in the showroom for 20 minutes without anyone checking on me. I then went to find a salesman and it was like pulling teeth. This was odd since I was the only customer in the showroom.
I too was surprised by the mpg numbers on the Fit Sport. It's a bit disappointing versus what it's competition is getting or rated at. You're in Peoria right? There is a good Honda dealer in Bloomington, IL just off of I-55 on Veteran's Parkway. A friend of mine has bought multiple Hondas there and has had a good experience every time.

RMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:28 PM   #16
equ
Alphanumeric

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I haven't driven the VW version, but I liked the Audi A3 TDI that I drove quite a bit (lack of a stick aside).
Yeah, the dsg on the tdi was an epic fail for us, manual fixed all ills as usual.

The current golf tdi has a nice suspension set-up, perhaps more compliant than a gti for daily use and even pulled better a much better slalom than a gti on the edmunds test track.

My tdi posts start here:
http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showpo...7&postcount=51

insideline tdi>gti handling surprise here:
http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...wagen-gti.html
Old 11-23-2011, 12:32 PM   #17
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Yeah, the dsg on the tdi was an epic fail for us, manual fixed all ills as usual.

The current golf tdi has a nice suspension set-up, perhaps more compliant than a gti for daily use and even pulled better a much better slalom than a gti on the edmunds test track.

My tdi posts start here:
http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showpo...7&postcount=51

insideline tdi>gti handling surprise here:
http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...wagen-gti.html
interesting that the shifter is better in the TDI, I didnt like the one in the GTI. On paper i like the TDI but I dont drive enough to make use of it, couple mile work commute.
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 12:44 PM   #18
equ
Alphanumeric

Quote:
That's really bad. The 3600lb a4 is rated 22/31, is awd and gets out of its own way with 258lbs of torque. Every passing day I like the a4 more and more (steering fix helps).
Old 11-23-2011, 12:47 PM   #19
BahnBaum
Tilting Rocinante

Quote:
The 3600lb a4 is rated 22/31, is awd and gets out of its own way with 258lbs of torque. Every passing day I like the a4 more and more (steering fix helps).
Still waiting on my vagcom to be returned so I can do the fix. And I'm still getting 30+ real mpg out of a tank.

25K+ and not even a rattle.

I realize I just cursed myself btw. Wait for it.....

Alex
Old 11-23-2011, 01:00 PM   #20
equ
Alphanumeric

Yup, I'm at 23k miles. Not much commuting so that's been easy on the car. But still, two winters, rough NYC/NNJ roads and not a rattle. I did get the driver's door strike adjusted to fix a slight wind whistle, it's been perfect otherwise. One of the best new cars I've ever bought. I get 30+ on highway tanks, about 24-26 on mixed ones, perhaps worst tank being 23mpg. I change oil every 5k as I may keep this one a while.