carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 03-24-2017, 01:33 PM   #21
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo View Post
I still can't get on board. I guess I'm to old school wanting to hear and feel the car. Sound is a huge part of my driving delight and experience.
Yes. See my post above.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 01:45 PM   #22
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
There is a China market only 1 series sedan as well. I wish the 1 hatch was here.
pretty sure that thing is fwd
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 01:46 PM   #23
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Yes. See my post above.
get a E90 6MT and slap on a exhaust , kind of wish I did that since it supposedly sounds bitchin.
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 02:26 PM   #24
zach
swinging for the fences

Carmudgeonly Ride: 987, X7 M60i, e36 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
I keep forgetting about the Tesla, but I am not sure about the timing. When is it due again? Oh wait, there are 247,984 people in line in front of me for one (I made up that number). I also miss shifting.

I do agree the MK7 is plenty roomy. Certainly ~E46 roomy.

Part of me thinks that the next gen M3 may be a nice one to have, but it could have way too many changes (hybrid? AWD? no stick? crazy heavy?). It's also 4-5 years into the future before I'd get one.

I do have about a year to ponder about this stuff.
You can have my early model 3 allocation if you want it.
zach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 02:31 PM   #25
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
get a E90 6MT and slap on a exhaust , kind of wish I did that since it supposedly sounds bitchin.
Coming soon to my driveway. See my marketplace post.

Going to be a long search I think. I want a 13 coupe or a 12 sedan in jeraz or lemans.

My fiend had a coupe with the akrapovic exhaust. The sound at full bore is increadable.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:37 PM   #26
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Coming soon to my driveway. See my marketplace post.

Going to be a long search I think. I want a 13 coupe or a 12 sedan in jeraz or lemans.

My fiend had a coupe with the akrapovic exhaust. The sound at full bore is increadable.
Have you spent much time in one? I'd be curious to hear your thoughts on the torque vs power and overall feel coming from your e39.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 03:11 PM   #27
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

I've purchased four BMWs now, three of them M3s. The newest, the '99, was just off its three-year lease when I bought it in spring 2002, and I thought it was about worth the sale price of $32k. The 'mudgeons here from the JetFest days could probably attest to the condition of that car -- it was just one step down from the showroom floor. I paid less than half that for the other two, and I definitely think I got the best car (for me) for the money. Whether I'm still poor, cheap, or just unwilling to blow cash, I don't know that I'd spend more than twice that amount for a new M3 today.

If you're looking for a new car and you put a premium on value, a new M3 probably isn't the answer. A gently used model, however, is a great deal, and you're not losing much by going back a couple of model years, or even one generation.
blee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 03:30 PM   #28
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by blee View Post
I've purchased four BMWs now, three of them M3s. The newest, the '99, was just off its three-year lease when I bought it in spring 2002, and I thought it was about worth the sale price of $32k. The 'mudgeons here from the JetFest days could probably attest to the condition of that car -- it was just one step down from the showroom floor. I paid less than half that for the other two, and I definitely think I got the best car (for me) for the money. Whether I'm still poor, cheap, or just unwilling to blow cash, I don't know that I'd spend more than twice that amount for a new M3 today.

If you're looking for a new car and you put a premium on value, a new M3 probably isn't the answer. A gently used model, however, is a great deal, and you're not losing much by going back a couple of model years, or even one generation.
This

Out of about the 14 or more cars I have had only 4 have been brand new. I always seen to set a price in my head first then back into it with what's out there to satisfy my itch. One of the reasons I waited this long was for the last years of the E9x M3 sedans and coupes to come near that price point in my head. They are about there now so time to sell.

Back on point I do think FC should get the M3. He's talked about it forever!!
Old 03-24-2017, 03:53 PM   #29
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

Quote:
Back on point I do think FC should get the M3.
Oh, definitely.
blee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 04:26 PM   #30
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
You guys are funny.

But I have mentioned getting a used E90 M3 since I always wanted that one. If the perfect LeMans Blue E90 shows up I may pull the trigger.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote