carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 03-24-2017, 09:45 AM   #1
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
M3 vs. GTI

As you may recall, we were close to getting a GTI when my wife became smitten with the eGolf and the great lease deal made us get it. My wife felt the GTI was too sporty/boyish and it would primarily be her car. Fair enough.

It's early given that the eGolf lease ends in Jan 2019, but as I am hoping to get an M3 (after much waffling) and they go out of production in 2018, we are tentatively planning a potential ED trip for one in June 2018.

The waffling resumes now because while I can talk myself into spending M3 money, there is always a GTI on my shoulder saying "You are not really going to spend over twice as much as I cost on an M3, are you?"

I drove the GTI and liked it. It wasn't perfect but it was quick and fun. Reviews (including reports on reliability) are glowing. That translates into the streets, where GTI's seem to be spawning everywhere. 5 people at work have one. I don't care that much about exclusivity.

The question is: Given that I'd drive it 5k miles per year, and not always in traffic-free country roads, why get an M3 when there is a perfectly good GTI, or worst-case, an R (with the benefit of AWD)?

Admittedly they are in totally different categories, but the ~$35k premium weighs on me. My wife is puzzled by why I'd even consider the GTI (she found it unrefined) and looks forward to the trip to Europe. She is not particularly happy with the M3 price tag but is willing to spend the money. The M3 is a very nice car but also not my "I'd kill someone for it" dream car.

Thoughts?
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 09:49 AM   #2
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Drive both. Which do you prefer? Can you afford it? Enjoy!

If you were really into being practical or saving money you'd still have the e46 sedan you had like 10 years ago.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 09:59 AM   #3
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
The M3 may not be your ultimate dream car, but you have been pining for one for a long time. And I don't recall similar pining for the GTI.

So, I would suggest buying the the M3 will ultimately save you money. Because you will not spend the GTI money, plus the correction to get into the M3 you should have bought in the first place.

Plus, your wife has always pined for something a little more upscale/luxurious. She might even prefer the M5.

At least that is an outside observer's take...
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 10:01 AM   #4
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
Drive both. Which do you prefer? Can you afford it? Enjoy!

If you were really into being practical or saving money you'd still have the e46 sedan you had like 10 years ago.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:01 AM   #5
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Plus, your wife has always pined for something a little more upscale/luxurious. She might even prefer the M5.
Or a "regular" 5 series. Or maybe even a Cadillac.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 10:16 AM   #6
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
CTS-V ��
Old 03-24-2017, 10:26 AM   #7
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
The M3 may not be your ultimate dream car, but you have been pining for one for a long time. And I don't recall similar pining for the GTI.

So, I would suggest buying the the M3 will ultimately save you money. Because you will not spend the GTI money, plus the correction to get into the M3 you should have bought in the first place.

At least that is an outside observer's take...
There is something to be said for that. Also, it did happen already. I backed off an E90 M3 at the last minute and got the E91. Then the TT deal came and I could not say no. Had I had the M3, I would have passed on the Turbo. I think my wife learned from that one. And she likes Europe.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:28 AM   #8
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
Or a "regular" 5 series. Or maybe even a Cadillac.
We sat on an ATS-V in the showroom and when all they schintzy blue graphics starting flying around she said, "ugh." Also, she doesn't like angular cars.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:50 AM   #9
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Kids will much prefer the back seat of the M3 over a golf. Less complaining if you want to drive it over the Disco. Why not get a year or two pre-owned M3 comp package for much less than the $35k delta and plan your EU trip outside of having to pick a car up in June?
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 11:05 AM   #10
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
Kids will much prefer the back seat of the M3 over a golf. Less complaining if you want to drive it over the Disco. Why not get a year or two pre-owned M3 comp package for much less than the $35k delta and plan your EU trip outside of having to pick a car up in June?
I'm not sure I agree with this. Our Mk VI Golf has more space in the backseat than our old M3 did. I know the F80 M3 is bigger than the E90, but the Mk VII GTI is bigger than our Mk VI, too. There is a reason that FWD cars are seen as being more efficient, from a packaging standpoint.

I'm kind of done with spending big money on cars like the M3. As FC points out, the extra performance is largely inaccessible in day-to-day driving, and for 5000 miles a year you're paying an awful lot in depreciation for very little driving. The GTI makes a lot more sense. If you want something a little lairier, a Focus RS might be an interesting choice.

I know the solution to everything seems to be "get a Tesla," but why not a Model 3? It splits the cost, and you're already used to owning an EV--the Model 3 will be substantially faster, more fun, and more capable than the eGolf. Plus it's different and interesting, whereas the M3 is just sort of...eh...I don't know. The same thing all over again.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote