Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
Your glue is sloppy.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 10:18 AM   #23
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
I tested everything last night and decided not to make any changes to the cutoff shields. They looked fine to me and I came to the conclusion that I'd probably make things worse if I tried to tweak anything. So I re-assembled everything. I should be able to get these back on the truck and align them later this week.

John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 10:27 AM   #24
Biggins
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 22 Tiguan, 11 328i
Looks shiny! Do you foresee any issues with getting them aligned properly?

Will this blind regular car motorists like many of the bro-truck lights I see all the time?
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 10:37 AM   #25
John V
No more BMWs

They should be significantly better than the stock halogens in terms of oncoming glare. Halogen reflectors don't really have a cutoff, whereas these have a very sharp cutoff. The only downside to these compared to something like a high-end BMW/Porsche factory-installed projector is it doesn't self-level. But most factory installations don't have that feature anyway.

I think they should align with the stock adjusters just fine, but there isn't a ton of clearance from the projector shroud to the plastic headlight housing lens so I may not be able to use the full adjustment range. Worst case I can shim the whole housing up to get them aimed.

The bro truck guys do one or all of of three things:

1) Install (illegal) LED light bars which have no cutoff and are usually mounted to the grille, so they're not aligned anyway
2) Install Xenon bulbs into their stock reflector housings, which again has no cutoff and only serves to blind oncoming drivers
3) Install aftermarket fog lights ("Off road driving lights") which again have no cutoff and only serve to blind oncoming drivers.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:57 AM   #26
Biggins
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 22 Tiguan, 11 328i
Knowing your work, I'm sure it will be way better than stock and work great for what you need it. Headlights on all pre-2010 cars just seem so bad compared to the newer technologies.

Yes to all of the things listed for the bro-trucks. I guess they never get ticketed for that stuff?
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 12:32 PM   #27
John V
No more BMWs

Not that I live in bro-truck central or anything, but I am closer than I used to be, and I hardly ever see trucks with light bars on them anymore. Maybe they were getting pulled over and ticketed.

What I see every single fucking day, though, is multiple people driving in traffic with their high beams on. I have to assume it's ignorance but that doesn't make it more tolerable.
Old 12-14-2016, 08:00 PM   #28
ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
Not that I live in bro-truck central or anything, but I am closer than I used to be, and I hardly ever see trucks with light bars on them anymore. Maybe they were getting pulled over and ticketed.
I wish they'd pull-over-and-ticket for them here. In addition to bro-trucks, I even see them on some motorcycles now.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote