carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Going Faster

Old 04-11-2016, 10:34 PM   #21
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
It's almost as though BMW never envisioned repeated 6,000 RPM clutch drops or sustained cornering at 1.4g. I just don't get it.

Seriously though, I appreciate the sentiment and it does get old fixing stuff all the time. It's like the Ohio Turnpike. It's been under construction since 1955 or something. And it always will be. Because the oldest section will always need fixing right after the finish the newest section
Yeah, and I know you enjoy a lot of it, but watching your trials and tribulations, it's sort of like, when the hell will you get a chance to run the Finale and Nats without being forced to make a major unplanned repair?

Quote:
I remember a DC ProSolo back when we were running the Boxster together, and seeing a certain local WRX owner having a meltdown because she fragged a transmission. And then a few weeks later at the Toledo ProSolo, Greg McCance fragged a transmission, coasted to his paddock spot, put the thing on jackstands and started to get to work. I don't know about you but I know which of those people I would rather be.
I remember those. I don't think it's a totally fair comparison for [reasons], but I know what you're saying and I agree with the truth you're trying to illustrate. OTOH, when we were driving together we each had some episodes that are kind of embarrassing to think about now, Of course, we also each facing crushing blows that we shrugged off and dealt with during that time, to, so...I don't know.

Shit, I look back at my experience changing the rear brakes on the Focus ST a year ago and, fuck, that was bad. I also didn't realize how sick I was and what a bad idea it was for me to do any wrenching that day, but still. It was not my finest moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
JV: I obviously don't know that woman but I'm pretty likely to be her. Not many folks can put their cars up on stands and go to work on swapping driveline items. Some of us think of bulb replacement as challenging (not on bmw's, but try the headlamps of a mk6 golf).

I realized long ago that you need to be one of two to go racing (ideally both):
1. rich
2. highly mechanically inclined, like being your own Edd China
I'm neither. I like to *think* of the machine mechanically, but despite my various efforts (and years spent studying science) my DIY'ing is truly limited.
They help, but aren't necessary. You need to be able to stick to level where you can afford to compete and stick to your budget, but you don't need that much money. Being highly mechanically inclined sure helps a lot, and having that ability makes you able to stretch your dollars further, but sticking to lower prep level classes really limits the requirements, too.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 05:50 AM   #22
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Yeah, and I know you enjoy a lot of it, but watching your trials and tribulations, it's sort of like, when the hell will you get a chance to run the Finale and Nats without being forced to make a major unplanned repair?
2016! What's the definition of insanity?

I don't think I'm mechanically skilled, I actually fumble my way through stuff a lot of the time. I just really like to learn things. I love Wheeler Dealers

There are other classes where the cars rarely break and that's the right place to live for most people in this hobby. I like the challenge of the "builder" classes so that's where I ended up. People who aren't up for that challenge shouldn't be in those classes.

Last edited by John V; 04-12-2016 at 06:57 AM.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:12 AM   #23
JST

Racing is a really interesting sport, because in addition to talent and practice, you also need to rely on an extremely complex machine operating on the edge (or over) its design limits to function flawlessly in order to win. Imagine if a baseball bat had thousands of moving parts.

It's amazing to me that people like JV and others can master not only the driving part (which is really fucking hard), but also the role of suspension engineer, test driver, mechanic, crew chief...

All of my hats are off to that.

I realized a few years ago that autocross competition, for me, was like being a Detroit Lions fan--lots and lots of time and emotional energy invested for the same result, time after time, which was mostly anger and self-loathing.

I don't watch the Lions anymore. Nor do I autocross. I have to find other things to fill me with rage.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 10:22 AM   #24
John V
No more BMWs

What you described is exactly why I gave up golf a few years ago.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:28 AM   #25
JST

Quote:
What you described is exactly why I gave up golf a few years ago.
Ha. Yeah, golf's *only* saving grace is that it's one of the few outdoor sports you can play while drunk, but while that was kind of fun in high school it's lost a bit of its appeal.
Old 04-12-2016, 02:48 PM   #26
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Racing is a really interesting sport, because in addition to talent and practice, you also need to rely on an extremely complex machine operating on the edge (or over) its design limits to function flawlessly in order to win. Imagine if a baseball bat had thousands of moving parts.

It's amazing to me that people like JV and others can master not only the driving part (which is really fucking hard), but also the role of suspension engineer, test driver, mechanic, crew chief...

All of my hats are off to that.

I realized a few years ago that autocross competition, for me, was like being a Detroit Lions fan--lots and lots of time and emotional energy invested for the same result, time after time, which was mostly anger and self-loathing.

I don't watch the Lions anymore. Nor do I autocross. I have to find other things to fill me with rage.
Don't forget you also have to be a logistics master when you need parts and tools that take slow boats from China, Japan, Korea, Germany, England and hen there are the lazy UPS guys in Philly that can only be bothered to put three of your four tires on a truck, leaving the last for the far side of the weekend. And you need to be super fucking adaptable.

Postscript to the stressing/meltdown/wrenching thing. One of the big things that wore on me when running a heavy national schedule was stressing about tires. Would I have time at work to be on hold waiting for Paul? Would I be able to get them in time? Would I be able to drop off at Radial before closing? Would I be able to pick up before closing? Etc. From February to October, my life felt like it revolved around tires. And it was facing stressful.

The 255/40-17 Bridgestone RE-71Rs I was supposed to have mounted today at Radial Tire weren't ordered and didn't come in. Instead, there was a set of 215s waiting for me which, as Paul described, "look a little narrow for an 8" wheel." Because a new order wouldn't be going in until now, it would be quite a while until I could get them. 10 years ago, that would have been the end of the world. Today, when Paul asked what I wanted to do, "I just said, let's get 245s." They'll be here tomorrow and they'll be fine. I think the 255 is the right size tire for the car, but oh well.

The Lions thing...funny you mention that with the Capitals about to start their first round playoffs series this week.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 04-12-2016, 03:00 PM   #27
John V
No more BMWs

There is a reason I bought a tire machine. ☺

Hoosier never has any tire shortages either.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:06 PM   #28
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:

Yeah. I know this. Both thises.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 04-12-2016, 05:13 PM   #29
JST

Quote:

Careful. This is the line of thinking that leads to buying rubber plantations in Brazil.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fordl%C3%A2ndia
Old 04-13-2016, 01:26 AM   #30
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post

Amd I'm with you on this one.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote