Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 01-19-2005, 10:55 AM   #11
TD
Founder emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonoboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD

And if I did that, say, 5 times a year, it would cost me <$200 for that season. It rarely snows more than that around here. As a typical winter wheel/tire set runs $1500-2000, that's 7-10 years worth of rentals.

Today cost me nothing as it was technically a loaner. And on any other day, I'd probably just take the Saab. But even if I had to rent every time it snowed, I'd still be way ahead over buying a winter wheel/tire set.

Especially since the nearest Enterprise location is a short walk from the house.
but you'd have to do that every year
So a wheel tire set will pay for 7+ years worth of rentals. I'm not keeping the car that long.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 11:32 AM   #12
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonoboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD

And if I did that, say, 5 times a year, it would cost me <$200 for that season. It rarely snows more than that around here. As a typical winter wheel/tire set runs $1500-2000, that's 7-10 years worth of rentals.

Today cost me nothing as it was technically a loaner. And on any other day, I'd probably just take the Saab. But even if I had to rent every time it snowed, I'd still be way ahead over buying a winter wheel/tire set.

Especially since the nearest Enterprise location is a short walk from the house.
but you'd have to do that every year
So a wheel tire set will pay for 7+ years worth of rentals. I'm not keeping the car that long.
Unless you are fortunate enough to have a rental place nearby, getting the car and returning it can be a huge hassle.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 11:57 AM   #13
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

The Mazda 3 is fun car in need of more power. Sort of like my Focus, only not as tightly wound.
blee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 12:59 PM   #14
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbr129
Unless you are fortunate enough to have a rental place nearby, getting the car and returning it can be a huge hassle.
Yes, and I usually score some awful loaner from Enterprise--a pickup truck or minivan with terrible handling and worse brakes.
wdc330i is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 01:19 PM   #15
GregE_325
Confused

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2019 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn / 2011 BMW 328iC
The Mazda 3 isn't a bad car for what it is. I have had mine now for a little over 5 months, and have no major complaints. I got the S model, with the bigger engine and sports suspension. I also have leather, xenons, side and curtain airbags, and the navigation system. All for $20k.

Even though I generally don't like front drivers, this one is okay. And the shifter is pretty decent, even though the clutch really should have a smoother engagement. Or maybe it's just me. :smile:

Now if I could just fine the perfect E30 325is to play with, then I'd be set.....

-- Greg
GregE_325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 01:22 PM   #16
TD
Founder emeritus

Again, FOR ME, I am a short walk from an Enterprise location (although they always volunteer to pick me up - I decline). And I have not had an especially bad rental in many years (I recall one time, years ago, the Enterprise counter at VOB BMW stuck me with a Buick Skylark back when the Skylark had this most ridiculous beak for a front end - Hands down, that was the worst car I've ever driven.)
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 01:24 PM   #17
Roadstergal
Butting in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregE_325
even though the clutch really should have a smoother engagement. Or maybe it's just me.
I think it's BMW. All of the stock BMW clutches I've tried have had a rather long, vague disengagement point. I prefer grabby clutches; when you're trying to go fast, a slow-transition clutch is frustrating.
Old 01-19-2005, 01:34 PM   #18
GregE_325
Confused

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2019 RAM 1500 Laramie Longhorn / 2011 BMW 328iC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadstergal
I think it's BMW. All of the stock BMW clutches I've tried have had a rather long, vague disengagement point. I prefer grabby clutches; when you're trying to go fast, a slow-transition clutch is frustrating.

It's really not that bad, but I guess I'm comparing it to a lot of the Honda manuals that I've owned, and it's just not quite as precise. I've tried to feather it a bit more than I normally would, just to keep the passengers heads from snapping back. I do like to launch it with some enthusiasm. It's just fine for hammering second through fifth, but that initial start in first can be a problem, especially when it's cold. So sometimes, I'll just start in second gear until things warm up.
You are right, it is very different from a BMW clutch. But I can live with it. The worst thing that I can say about the clutch is that in order to start the car, the pedal has to be planted on the floor. Any less, and the nanny switch won't let the car start.
GregE_325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 01:36 PM   #19
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
Quote:
Quote:
even though the clutch really should have a smoother engagement. Or maybe it's just me.
If you think the BMW clutches are bad (some of them are), you should try the clutch in the Volvo. Sure, it's a full size station wagon and won't really go fast no matter what you do, but the clutch is horrible. Better than an automatic, but still horrible.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 01:38 PM   #20
JST

Quote:
Quote:
Grabby clutches are good for going fast, but they are a PITA in stop-and-go driving, especially in a car like the M3 that has a lot of driveline lash.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote