carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 01-03-2019, 09:46 PM   #31
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
I am hopeful the new 3er can regain its old mojo. Everything I've read is its really good, but someone here will have to drive it and report.
I can believe that. The 2 series has everything right but the steering, and it’s a generation old. We also all know that there are vanilla versions of BMWs, and there are more hardcore versions. Perhaps they lost their way for awhile, but the 2 is a hopeful sign. If they take to heart the steering quibbles, and you spec the model right, there’s every reason to hope you’ll get a good, fun, practical car—which is all BMW has ever done well.

Last edited by wdc330i; 01-03-2019 at 09:57 PM.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 10:11 PM   #32
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Might not apply anymore, but saw some crazy deals on the Jag wagons a few months ago on Leasehackr, and they were generally all in MA so maybe worth a call:

https://forum.leasehackr.com/t/emplo...msrp-77k/63391
Old 01-03-2019, 10:14 PM   #33
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
I can believe that. The 2 series has everything right but the steering, and it’s a generation old. We also all know that there are vanilla versions of BMWs, and there are more hardcore versions. Perhaps they lost their way for awhile, but the 2 is a hopeful sign. If they take to heart the steering quibbles, and you spec the model right, there’s every reason to hope you’ll get a good, fun, practical car—which is all BMW has ever done well.

General feedback is that the new X3, X5 and 3-series bring back better driving dynamics. New 5 is so-so in standard form but apparently really good as M5.
Old 01-04-2019, 05:11 AM   #34
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
General feedback is that the new X3, X5 and 3-series bring back better driving dynamics. New 5 is so-so in standard form but apparently really good as M5.
I love my new 540 and believe me I went in with very little expectations ... I thought my A6 was sporty (for a mid size sedan) and the 5er blows it away. I am finding myself driving almost too aggressively with the 540.

I have the sporty version with the dynamic dampers so maybe that contributes to it but the big picture is this car is fun to drive though again I will mention for a mid size sedan.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 11:11 AM   #35
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post

Yeah that seems to be the consensus. I remember that many of the press 540s that got tested were equipped with the 4 wheel steering which journalists always seem to dislike.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote