carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Technical Superiority

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-14-2017, 09:31 AM   #1
Biggins
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 22 Tiguan, 11 328i
Stripped/Bent Wheel Stud

I'm extremely careful when changing my rims and always break loose by hand with breaker bar, then finish with cordless impact, hand tighten at least 8 turns, hit with impact, then torque wrench to OEM specs.

I just bought my new rims recently and did my 2-3rd wheel change with them after an autox yesterday and stripped/cross-threaded/bent a front wheel stud real bad. I lost a socket in the process, but I got the lug off of the stud, but did I do something wrong here? Could it have been the shop where I did my sway bars using their air gun while I was working on the back?

I have had the fancy ARP wheel studs for almost 4 years and decent quality steel open-ended lugs (2nd set), but did I over-torque or do the wheel studs need replaced every so often too? Could it have something to do with the new rims? I have noticed that the front rims sometimes need more turns of the torque wrench once back on the ground before it clicks...
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote