carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 02-16-2024, 12:27 PM   #5741
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
I’d rather have the electronics come from China than Germany or England.

Speaking from the car ownership experience.

Agreed…
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2024, 12:42 PM   #5742
SCA
Jaded

Non-paywalled WSJ article https://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/comp...es/ar-BB1ijOpA
Old 02-17-2024, 11:19 AM   #5743
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
Agreed…
Dude.

Would love to read more driving feedback from you. It might seem stupid (it’s not) but to compare 997 and 992.

There’s so many ways they’re different.

But it might be informative to a potential buyer who has never had either, and you could speak to what 911 someone should consider right now in the preowned market.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 01:47 PM   #5744
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Dude.

Would love to read more driving feedback from you. It might seem stupid (it’s not) but to compare 997 and 992.

There’s so many ways they’re different.

But it might be informative to a potential buyer who has never had either, and you could speak to what 911 someone should consider right now in the preowned market.

I do not have much feedback to give after 170 miles. I reside in a metropolitan area so anytime I drive it is in stop and go traffic. I have driven it on some really good back roads close to our home and on several occasions, but I can only do that for so long as I tend to get bored within 25 to 30 minutes.

I can tell you this much, the 992 is a big car. It feels big. To-date I greatly prefer my base 997.2. It puts a huge grin on my face every time I get behind the wheel of it. It is fully analog and that is what I still greatly prefer. Am I in love with the 992? Surprisingly, not as much as I thought I would be. Do I think I will keep the T long-term? Probably not. Time will time once warmer weather permanently arrives. The break-in is 1,875 miles and even then it is suggested that you gradually work your way up to the 7,500 redline. So, until that is over and done with I will hold off from making any final judgement of the car.

FYI, cold P Zeros absolutely suck and just so you know at nearly 2 PM EST the current feel like temp here is 32°.

Edit: By the way… If I was shopping between a manual 997.2 C2S and a manual 992.1 C2S, I would select the 997.2 all day long. The dot 2 997s will always hold a special place in my heart as there is nothing that I dislike about them.

Last edited by SCA; 02-17-2024 at 02:16 PM.
Old 02-17-2024, 03:02 PM   #5745
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
FYI, cold P Zeros absolutely suck and just so you know at nearly 2 PM EST the current feel like temp here is 32°.
Yes. Utterly horrific. I now have three cars with tires. They blow. Never buying them again. Can't have tires in New England that are THAT allergic to bit of cold.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 03:43 PM   #5746
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
I do not have much feedback to give after 170 miles. I reside in a metropolitan area so anytime I drive it is in stop and go traffic. I have driven it on some really good back roads close to our home and on several occasions, but I can only do that for so long as I tend to get bored within 25 to 30 minutes.

I can tell you this much, the 992 is a big car. It feels big. To-date I greatly prefer my base 997.2. It puts a huge grin on my face every time I get behind the wheel of it. It is fully analog and that is what I still greatly prefer. Am I in love with the 992? Surprisingly, not as much as I thought I would be. Do I think I will keep the T long-term? Probably not. Time will time once warmer weather permanently arrives. The break-in is 1,875 miles and even then it is suggested that you gradually work your way up to the 7,500 redline. So, until that is over and done with I will hold off from making any final judgement of the car.

Edit: By the way… If I was shopping between a manual 997.2 C2S and a manual 992.1 C2S, I would select the 997.2 all day long. The dot 2 997s will always hold a special place in my heart as there is nothing that I dislike about them.
I really appreciate your feedback. I’d hope the car wins you over with some more miles. But it’s a terrific baseline to have the 997.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 04:00 PM   #5747
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Yes. Utterly horrific. I now have three cars with tires. They blow. Never buying them again. Can't have tires in New England that are THAT allergic to bit of cold.
Yep, not a fan at all… I have set the tire pressures to the comfort setting, 29f and 32r. I changed it within PCM as well. My SA stated at delivery, “you know that they will wear out quicker?” I replied, “that is my intent.”

Quote:
I really appreciate your feedback. I’d hope the car wins you over with some more miles. But it’s a terrific baseline to have the 997.
If I did not have the 997 I suspect that I would be head over heels for the 992, after-all it is impressive what it can do for such a large sports car. With that said, I still prefer the size of a 997 and when it is parked alongside the Z3 in the garage it is huge in comparison.
Old 02-17-2024, 05:23 PM   #5748
robg
Carmudgeon

So I’m guessing you won’t be ordering a 992S then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2024, 06:10 PM   #5749
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
So I’m guessing you won’t be ordering a 992S then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To early to tell with only 170 miles underneath my belt. Powerout is currently not an issue with the T, but Porsche recommends keeping it under 4k RPM for the first 1,875 miles. Plus as previously mentioned I cannot even get a 992.1 S allocation and the 992.2 S is looking more and more likely to be a 48v mild hybrid with no manual transmission.

Last edited by SCA; 02-19-2024 at 09:15 AM.
Old 02-18-2024, 11:10 AM   #5750
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Agree, p-zeros absolutely suck in the cold and not exactly wonderful in other Do not miss them one bit. Michelin PSS or PS4 are much more graceful in cold temperatures, though I'd be worried about damaging the rubber with cold/hot cycles.

Sometimes I warm up to cars, and sometimes that initial misgiving stays. It was like that for the GT4, it never made its way into my heart, I always felt like I preferred a more street-friendly S or GTS.

I loved my 997.2 (even non-S was quite torquey with 3.6), should not have swapped to the 987.2 in hindsight back in 2012. Oh well... When I shopped amongst the 997/981/991 in spring 2016, I found the 997 a bit rough/not as smooth, but I only got to drive one and it was not a choice example. I could see going back to one.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote