carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 01-29-2004, 09:56 PM   #1
Melissa
Carmudgeon

Carmudgeonly Ride: '07 530xiT
Tell me I'm crazy before I convince myself to do it

When we move, I refuse to commute like I have been for nearly three years now. While I've gone from a 130 mile rt commute daily down to a mere 106 miles rt, I'm sick and tired of it.

In this commute, I'm constantly sprayed by not only construction vehicles that are in abundance on my only sensible route, I am sprayed by oncoming traffic and debris, ladders to dodge, etc.

I seem to have more chips in my paint every day and it's quite painful to look at.

I'm starting to dream about having my car painted when we move North since I won't be putting on so many miles.

Can anyone give me a ballpark figure of what this could potentially cost? If it matters, Bernhard is "hellrot"...an 01 325i.

Thank you!
Old 01-29-2004, 10:00 PM   #2
Doug

I don't know about your area but I'd guess $2500 to $3000 here
Old 01-29-2004, 10:33 PM   #3
clyde
Chief title editor

Paint done right isn't cheap.
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 07:54 AM   #4
glaws
Realist

You gonna keep it pretty much the same color?

glaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 08:54 AM   #5
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Painting the entire car could easily run $3,000-$4,000. You could probably just have the hood and front bumper done for around $1,000. Either way it will never be perfect. Red can be incredibly difficult to color match..especially when it's several years old. Plus there is always the possibility of overspray, tape lines, and other assorted issues related to a respray that could crop up.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2004, 09:10 AM   #6
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren
Plus there is always the possibility of overspray, tape lines, and other assorted issues related to a respray that could crop up.
How long do you plan to keep the car? How bad are the chips? I'd strongly advise against any paintwork if you don't plan on driving the car in to the ground, as it will strongly hurt your car's value if it isn't done perfectly. I'd try to examine some other alternatives first.
Old 01-30-2004, 09:17 AM   #7
Melissa
Carmudgeon

Thanks for the responses so far!

glaws, yes, I would (probably) keep it the same color.

And bren, thank you for the alternative idea of just the hood and bumper.

Sarafil, I plan to keep him at least another 4 years, if not longer. The chips are bad!

We did have to have a dent repaired and a door panel repainted due to hurricane Isabel damage. The shop we used did a perfect job of matching the paint, which is partly what got me thinking about a repaint.

My husband just scoffed when I made a comment about repainting it. I've wondered if he was serious or just trying to put me off (he hates the color).

Again thanks for the replies. Gives me something to think about! (Like I need that!)
Old 01-30-2004, 09:33 AM   #8
glaws
Realist

I would think that it would be nearly impossible to get a good color match on just the hood and front of the car to the rest, given the age of the car. Is the move to Cape Cod for sure now? If so, has the CG given you a time frame?

Old 01-30-2004, 09:43 AM   #9
Melissa
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by glaws
Is the move to Cape Cod for sure now? If so, has the CG given you a time frame?

Yes!! Got orders, we're going! We're requesting a report date of June 15, pack us up June 1. I'd go tomorrow if I could! Well, maybe not...it's still awfully cold!!! Oh, and a house to sell.
Old 01-30-2004, 09:54 AM   #10
glaws
Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerMlis
Quote:
Originally Posted by glaws
Is the move to Cape Cod for sure now? If so, has the CG given you a time frame?

Yes!! Got orders, we're going! We're requesting a report date of June 15, pack us up June 1. I'd go tomorrow if I could! Well, maybe not...it's still awfully cold!!! Oh, and a house to sell.
Whoo Hoo! What a great time to be in Cape Cod!! Don't envy the move and selling the house, however. PITA