carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 01-25-2008, 06:29 PM   #11
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
i think your math is skewed by the fact that you have Discount Tire, which is a national coast to coast chain with a burgeoning internet division, near you.

in the metro Boston area, the chain stores are Direct Tire, NTB and Goodyear and the markup on tires is like jewelry so it is a huge cost savings, even having to pay absurd mounting fees, to order online.
What he said.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 06:35 PM   #12
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
You also ignored tax I think - no tax on the tire rack tires, tax on the discount tires. What's your state tax? 7% on the $850 ZHP tire bill is another $60 (roughly, I did all that in my head).
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 06:48 PM   #13
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Tirerack has decent prices (sometimes the best sometimes not but never a rape) and a huge selection. Further, it has great tests, reviews and excellent wheel fitment info. It gives every impression of a very good company. Try finding a pair of 265/40-18's at discount.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 01:04 PM   #14
lupinsea
Jeeped

Carmudgeonly Ride: Modified Jeep Tj and '07 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwg View Post
You also ignored tax I think - no tax on the tire rack tires, tax on the discount tires. What's your state tax? 7% on the $850 ZHP tire bill is another $60 (roughly, I did all that in my head).
Taxes in WA are weird. There's a move in our state legislature to tax internet transactions based on where the buyer lives (i.e. WA state). It either just be came law, is in the process of becoming law, or is being pushed by a sizable majority of state lawmakers which almost makes it a foregone conclusion. So, that no-sales-tax advantage doesn't, or wont, mean much but the time I go to buy tires.

And our sales tax is 8.9% (no state income tax, though).

"Jeep is the only true American sports car*" - Enzo Ferrari

* Or something to that effect.
lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 02:12 PM   #15
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by lupinsea View Post
Taxes in WA are weird. There's a move in our state legislature to tax internet transactions based on where the buyer lives (i.e. WA state). It either just be came law, is in the process of becoming law, or is being pushed by a sizable majority of state lawmakers which almost makes it a foregone conclusion. So, that no-sales-tax advantage doesn't, or wont, mean much but the time I go to buy tires.

And our sales tax is 8.9% (no state income tax, though).
with all due respect to jeep tires --when i had burned through the rears on the Z06 --the local installer's best quote was $550 per tire mounted and balanced. at the tirerack, i got the same tire at $360 per tire and paid $50 to mount them both.

so, i'd guess that in ultimate high performance tires, where the markup for local vendors is absurdly high, your discounting difference gets larger and larger.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 11:53 PM   #16
lupinsea
Jeeped

Carmudgeonly Ride: Modified Jeep Tj and '07 Miata
That's making more sense.

I know a lot of guys on here use Tire Rack . . . but I couldn't figure out why based on the tires I was looking at.

Even with the ZHP's fancy ZHP tires it's almost a wash.

"Jeep is the only true American sports car*" - Enzo Ferrari

* Or something to that effect.
lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 11:50 AM   #17
lip277
The old cranky SOB....

Carmudgeonly Ride: several cars... way too many....
I've looked at Tire Rack off and on for years and never seen a real substantial savings (on what I was needing) to pull their trigger.

I guess it just happens to be the cars and trucks I drive don't need tires that are too unique......

1970 2800CS - - 2001 740iL - - 2006 997.1 - - 2012 Escalade
1968 Mustang GT Convertible - - 2003 Ford F250 PSD - - 1985 728i
lip277 is offline   Reply With Quote