'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 03:46 PM   #1552
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
Totally personal taste, but I think the silvers look way better
I prefer the black wheels I think they really show the red calipers nicely but the silver is a nice change. I am just happy to be able to drive it in the cold weather and not have to worry about losing grip.

You gotta see the size of these wheels .. jeez they are insanely wide and heavy as sh*t ... I think I getting too old for this.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 08:48 PM   #1553
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
Totally personal taste, but I think the silvers look way better
I agree not a fan of the murder look
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 09:02 AM   #1554
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
I like the full blacks for winter and the silvers for summer. If I were you, I'd swap the tires, but either way, what a fun car... Caymans are my favorite.
equ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 02:13 PM   #1555
3LOU5
Slacker Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I prefer the black wheels I think they really show the red calipers nicely but the silver is a nice change. I am just happy to be able to drive it in the cold weather and not have to worry about losing grip.

You gotta see the size of these wheels .. jeez they are insanely wide and heavy as sh*t ... I think I getting too old for this.
I actually thought you let other people do this for you, since you're highly-successful and own many high-end cars.

2009 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Vivid Black) - his
2018 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited - hers
2007 Harley-Davidson Sportster XL883 Low (Pearl White) - hers (SOLD 02/29/20)
2011 Tao Tao 50 - whoevers bike is in the shop
2007 Reinell 186 FNS - the dog's
1995 Fleetwood Flair 27R - EVERYBODY'S !
3LOU5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 07:58 PM   #1556
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3LOU5 View Post
I actually thought you let other people do this for you, since you're highly-successful and own many high-end cars.

If I remember correctly (IIRC), AF doesn't just put wheels & tires on, he has a balance machine.
equ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 09:35 PM   #1557
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3LOU5 View Post

I know you can relate to this, I do not want anyone touching my cars, they aren’t going to care and I am a fanatic like we all are ... when I removed the front wheels I see the dealer chipped away at the red calipers during a service, I am a bit insane and while it bothered me they chipped it away it just reminds me why I don’t like other people touching my cars.

I would do all of the maintenance if I knew how to ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
If I remember correctly (IIRC), AF doesn't just put wheels & tires on, he has a balance machine.
Wow great memory ... I ended up selling the last one (had 2 of these machines but the first one sucked) because I only used it a couple of times ... it ended up the person that bought it owned a auto repair shop and was super happy because it really was a high end machine but it was barely touched ... he got a great deal and I got it out of my garage.

It just seemed kinda dumb I bought it in the first.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 01:39 AM   #1558
3LOU5
Slacker Extraordinaire

Quote:
I know you can relate to this, I do not want anyone touching my cars, they aren’t going to care and I am a fanatic like we all are ... when I removed the front wheels I see the dealer chipped away at the red calipers during a service, I am a bit insane and while it bothered me they chipped it away it just reminds me why I don’t like other people touching my cars.

Wow great memory ... I ended up selling the last one (had 2 of these machines but the first one sucked) because I only used it a couple of times ... it ended up the person that bought it owned a auto repair shop and was super happy because it really was a high end machine but it was barely touched ... he got a great deal and I got it out of my garage.

Yes indeed, I can relate. I don't even like to valet any of my cars.

As far as the balancing machine, I have thought about placing those balancing beads inside my tires. Many swear by those things.
Old 12-16-2019, 08:01 AM   #1559
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:

What's stopping you from learning? Most maintenance on most cars is pretty simple...just intimidating if you haven't done it before. Forums, YouTube, and a few hundred dollars worth of tools (plus a willingness to add more as needed as you go) will get you through almost anything "normal".

It's not always speedy, though. And if you don't have a decently sized, well-lit, well-ventilated, and climate controlled garage, it's easy to procrastinate until the weather is just so, which is inevitably when something else in life comes up that needs immediate attention. Ask me how I know all this.

Doing things yourself is no guarantee you won't do some some cosmetic damage to your car. You can ensure you do everything you can, but shit happens. When putting a wheel onto a hub, you miss by just a bit and contact a brake caliper. You have something in your hand, you turn, and now you have a small scratch in the fender. You have a wrench or ratchet on something, it slips and you get a ding somewhere you didn't think you could reach. It may be easier to accept when you do it yourself, but it still happens.

Quote:

You should have sold it to John V

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 11:00 AM   #1560
3LOU5
Slacker Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
What's stopping you from learning? Most maintenance on most cars is pretty simple...just intimidating if you haven't done it before. Forums, YouTube, and a few hundred dollars worth of tools (plus a willingness to add more as needed as you go) will get you through almost anything "normal".

It's not always speedy, though. And if you don't have a decently sized, well-lit, well-ventilated, and climate controlled garage, it's easy to procrastinate until the weather is just so, which is inevitably when something else in life comes up that needs immediate attention. Ask me how I know all this.

Doing things yourself is no guarantee you won't do some some cosmetic damage to your car. You can ensure you do everything you can, but shit happens. When putting a wheel onto a hub, you miss by just a bit and contact a brake caliper. You have something in your hand, you turn, and now you have a small scratch in the fender. You have a wrench or ratchet on something, it slips and you get a ding somewhere you didn't think you could reach. It may be easier to accept when you do it yourself, but it still happens.

You should have sold it to John V
I have this assumption/conception that AF's time is far more valuable than dinking around with his automobiles.