carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 10-24-2012, 01:41 PM   #1
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
For a change, let's talk cars: 997TT test drive

It wasn't long and it was a week and a half ago, but I did get to drive what will hopefully be my car (trying to arrange a PPI right now).

The car is on winter tires and it was a damp day. For just shy of 85K miles, the car looks great. You'd think it has 30K miles. Obviously it has spent most of its life in the highway.

On the inside, it is very familiar to the 987S in an awesome way. Low, supportive seats, nice leather throughout, firm pedals, same wheel, shifter, etc. The alcantara headliner is very nice.

On start-up, it reminds me of how great a nice-sounding engine is. It sounds even better than the 987S. Clutch is very easy to use properly the first time with a nice, firm feel. It has an SSK, so shifter action is short and precise. The first thing I notice is that it doesn't blow me away in terms of speed. I think maybe the turbos are not working right. I leave the driveway from work and get the sense that the car is quick, but not anywhere near as fast as I expected and only marginally faster than the 987. After a mile, and after I've merged onto the highway, I realize I've been using a fraction of the gas pedal travel. I move over to the left lane, and on 4th gear at 60mph I go most of the the way down on the gas pedal - HOLY SHIT! Rinse and repeat and again on back roads. This thing is stupid-fast. I never went past ~5.5krpm. The owner tells me it gets really fast at 6krpm. That must be absolutely savage. I did not try it that day.

I noticed no lag once moving, and a constant building of thrust, capable of accelerating so fast that as much as I tried, I couldn't help but smile like an idiot. Traction was insane even on winter tires. The brakes felt superb and with better feel than the 987S which always felt a bit weak on initial bite versus my 3er's.

It really is no joke, you can really drive this car all day and have it feel like a 3er or 5er. It's that easy to drive around town, and if you feel like it, there is virtually no limit to its performance on the street. Undoubtedly, it is mostly wasted. It's a sin not to take this car to the track once or twice a year.

However, unlike the E90 M3, this car feels awesome all the time, at any speed - even at idle. I felt this way with my old 987S as well. But unlike those cars, and particularly the M3, this thing hauls ass at any rev. Not quite so brutal at 2krpm, but after 3krpm, it's just nuts. You also don't have to wait for 7krpm to feel how special it is. It also feels far more secure, with seemingly endless grip and awesome brakes.

In short, I loved it. No way in hell I'd buy one new. It's overkill. I feel that the Boxster is a better toy most of the time for half the money. Both cars make you feel you are in something special. But I want the 4 seats and even if it's just a few seconds each drive, this car gives you incredible performance in a civilized, refined, controlled and confidence-inspiring way that I can see why filthy-rich people would buy one.

At the price I may be getting it, it's too difficult to say no. It's an outrageous car that can be surprisingly low-key. I am treating this potential ownership the same way as any adrenaline-rush activity/hobby. As I tell my wife, better this than a speed bike. Plus, it can, if needed, seat the whole family, has AWD, a steel roof, winter tires, and a "trunk." It's not purely a toy.

Last edited by FC; 10-24-2012 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Glaring typos
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 01:58 PM   #2
lip277
The old cranky SOB....

Carmudgeonly Ride: several cars... way too many....

1970 2800CS - - 2001 740iL - - 2006 997.1 - - 2012 Escalade
1968 Mustang GT Convertible - - 2003 Ford F250 PSD - - 1985 728i
lip277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:11 PM   #3
zach
swinging for the fences

Carmudgeonly Ride: 987, X7 M60i, e36 M3
Nice. If you are looking for an independent Porsche ship, I recommend German Performance in Brighton. He just does BMW, Porsche, and Mini. I've been using him for years and years.
zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:17 PM   #4
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach View Post
Nice. If you are looking for an independent Porsche ship, I recommend German Performance in Brighton. He just does BMW, Porsche, and Mini. I've been using him for years and years.
Cool, thanks!
Old 10-24-2012, 02:21 PM   #5
zach
swinging for the fences

Carmudgeonly Ride: 987, X7 M60i, e36 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Cool, thanks!
No prob. Tell Marc I sent you if you end up there. I swear I must be one of his best customers. Ugh.
zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 02:29 PM   #6
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach View Post
No prob. Tell Marc I sent you if you end up there. I swear I must be one of his best customers. Ugh.

Well, I think I might get the PPI done at the dealership where it was serviced and sold since it is less than a mile from work and they know the history, but I will probably not use them for actual work, so it's good to know another name.

Years ago (8?) lemming recommended a P-car indy shop in Framingham when I had a flat on my ZHP. He was on the way home (Natick back then), and had many P-car race cars in the shop. He may just do race prep though. Cool guy. Patched my (then pretty rare, low-profile) rear tire on the spot.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:30 PM   #7
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Nice.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:47 PM   #8
JST

Sounds badass.

Now, just set aside about $5000 per year for track days...
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:07 PM   #9
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Sounds badass.

Now, just set aside about $5000 per year for track days...
Yes, though I might have to wait a year or so first. This car plus the detached garage are stretching my wife's car patience very thin. Hopefully I can sign up for one late Summer/early Fall next year. Sooner than that and I may be sleeping in my new garage.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:33 PM   #10
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
sounds very nice, hopefully PPI works out and you can pull the trigger
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote