carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 01-19-2010, 10:01 AM   #131
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
The bolster on my cayman is scuffed a bit (and very quickly too, started showing at 6000 miles). I think certain jeans and leather jackets with buttons/zippers take a toll. As clyde said, really who cares?

I thought IMS was a non-issue on all caymans and 07+ boxsters. Not sure about 06 boxsters or 997's, very unlikely, but it seems to have happened. And 05 997's are the worst? I'd be curious in these numbers as well.

BTW, this is the car that I saw:

http://www.paulmillerporsche.com/pre...item/5705#null
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:06 AM   #132
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
The general porsche inventory and the relatively lower prices are quite mouth-watering. Too bad, they're not that nice to deal with:

http://www.paulmillerporsche.com/pre...ehicle/results

If anyone needs me to check out a car in their inventory, let me know. I have a bit of time the next few weeks.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:25 AM   #133
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
I don't know much about the IMS issue other than that was one reason I wanted out of my Boxster. Even though there were very very few reports of it happening to the early 3.2L cars, it kind of worried me.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:44 AM   #134
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
OK, so the latest thing that's giving me pause is the IMS issue, which I hadn't focused closely on until I really started thinking about pulling the trigger on a Boxster.

I know we've discussed it on this board before, but the search function doesn't let me look for three letter words.

The consensus on rennlist seems to be that there are IMS issues with all non-DFI Boxsters, but that there was a running change in '06 that (may have) improved things. Of course, most of the posts on this issue are basically just regurgitations of the foregoing sentence, with little or no elaboration or attribution.

The true risk of an IMS failure seems pretty hard to pin down--there's a couple of people who have very scary stories and some people who are making money selling retrofits, but the whole thing is murky, at best. People who've had their engines replaced under warranty after they get all 'splodey are kind of blase about it, but obviously the idea of a 20K repair bill on an out of warranty car is a bit...disconcerting.

JV or FC or anyone else, can you provide any sort of reality check (or link to resources you might have come across in your own research)?
IN a nutshell, Porsche has been continuously improving it. So the later the better. The 3.4L (especially in a Boxster since it is an '07) is the latest and greatest, and from what I know the least prone to massive failures). I'll dig up a thread I posted here with a scanned-in Excellence article (you can search for it).
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:57 AM   #135
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Here it is...

http://forums.carmudgeons.com/showth...ght=excellence
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 11:29 AM   #136
JST

-muttering- frigging German engineering. frigging bullshit. gonna frigging buy a 5 liter Mustang; at least the engines are built out of something other than diamond-encrusted papier mache and lubricated with something other than baby tears.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:11 PM   #137
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
The general porsche inventory and the relatively lower prices are quite mouth-watering. Too bad, they're not that nice to deal with:

http://www.paulmillerporsche.com/pre...ehicle/results

If anyone needs me to check out a car in their inventory, let me know. I have a bit of time the next few weeks.
Must be nice having more than one Porsche dealer in the area, and having winter to help keep prices low.

Here's the available used Boxsters at my local dealer (one of two in the state) -- 4 base cars and one S between '04 and '07 -- all listed between $35 and $40.... (The '04 S and both '07 base cars are at $40)...

Edit: Just realized I didn't paste the link...
http://www.porsche-scottsdale.com/in..._model=boxster

Last edited by ZBB; 01-19-2010 at 12:28 PM.
ZBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:17 PM   #138
TD
Founder emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
Must be nice having more than one Porsche dealer in the area, and having winter to help keep prices low.

Here's the available used Boxsters at my local dealer (one of two in the state) -- 4 base cars and one S between '04 and '07 -- all listed between $35 and $40.... (The '04 S and both '07 base cars are at $40)...
While we have 6 dealers within a 45 minute drive, all but 2 keep a very minimal used inventory.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:30 PM   #139
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD View Post
While we have 6 dealers within a 45 minute drive, all but 2 keep a very minimal used inventory.
Still more competition than I can find.

I also bet that winter helps. I might have to keep an eye on their prices this summer here...
Old 01-19-2010, 12:49 PM   #140
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
Still more competition than I can find.

I also bet that winter helps. I might have to keep an eye on their prices this summer here...
Winter helps and hurts. The vast majority of the late-model cars are off-lease vehicles; since people tend to lease for 24 and 36 month terms and fewer people lease convertibles in the winter, there is a trough in availability of off-lease cars during the winter, too.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote