carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 08-13-2010, 11:14 AM   #1
JST

Boss 302

http://jalopnik.com/5612179/ford-mus...really-is-back

Another day, another special edition Mustang.

This one seems substantially more, you know, special though. 440 hp, adjustable shocks, stiffer springs, optional Torsen diff, upgraded clutch...

Very, very nice. No word on pricing yet.

More here:

http://www.thefordstory.com/our-plan...s-302-mustang/

JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 03:39 PM   #2
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
just reading about it, specs sound pretty nice, looks are not my cup of tea but I would hope optional

http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...d-is-back.html
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:48 PM   #3
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
am curious why GM doesn't do this, also (as it would be logical since they could not spend any money on market research, just look and see how the Ford specialty models are doing).

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:06 PM   #4
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuka View Post
For all the merican car fans here, a simple question.

Why aren't there more C6 Z06's purchases here? I mean, by all accounts it is still the pinnacle of modern American car.

So, why hasn't anyone here bought one, now that they are cheap enough?

there's a big difference between a sub 40k car and a 75k car for a lot of people --and these pony cars are within 90% of the performance envelope, too.

also: a lot of people just don't like the styling of the C6 and i'm in that camp, too. to me, it's the corvette equivalent of the 996.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 07:10 PM   #5
JST

It's still more than I am willing to spend on a 2 seat, third car.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:12 PM   #6
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Having driven a C6 Z06, it is just not a very pleasant car. The ride sucks, it's geared too tall, the engine sounds junky when you don't rev it out (and you rarely have the opportunity to rev it out), the seats that are marginally acceptable in a $40k car are just abysmal in an $80k car, the feel of the steering sucks, and it kind of scary to drive because the handling is unpredictable. As far as the performance driving experience goes, I much preferred my C5 Z06. And for a daily driver, I much preferred the C6 Z51.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 05:50 AM   #7
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuka View Post
That bad huh?

Wow.

So I am guessing for the same money you would pick 996 GT3 when given the choice between it and the C6 Z06?
No question. I came very close to doing just that.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 08:44 AM   #8
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
No question. I'm coming very close to doing just that.
Fixed that for you.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:03 PM   #9
lupinsea
Jeeped

Carmudgeonly Ride: Modified Jeep Tj and '07 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
also: a lot of people just don't like the styling of the C6 and i'm in that camp, too. to me, it's the corvette equivalent of the 996.
Funny, it's one of the few modern Corvettes that I actually like the styling of.

I think the C5 generation had the worst styling of the bunch. Too . . . . blah or too illdefined with the mooshy curves and no edges. Like a partially used bar of soap. It's styling is not aging well at all.

The C6 is crisper and I actually like it quite a bit. I appreciate that it's also a smaller car (base model is within 1" or so of a 911 in most dimensions). Stylistically I think it'll age well.

The C4 are a great, clean, design. Not a lot of flamboyant styling ques, and probably the most buttoned down of all the generations in terms of the styling design. I used to view them as down right boring compared to the C3's but in the last several years have come to greatly appreciate their design.

I loved my C3 for it's wild styling. Certainly exciting. Sitting in it and looking over the looooooooong hood and between the massive front fenders... fun. And it was a great car to run your hand over. Loved washing that body with the sensual curves and bulges, and sweeps, and folds. Get it all wet and soapy . . .

As for the C2 and C1 eras. . . to me cars of the 50's and earlier are old enough that I don't quite relate to the design in a personal way. So they're just "cool" for being old.

So . . . bottom line for me is that the C5 is the bottom of the barrel in terms of the style of the Corvettes over the years.

Can't say much about performance or driving dynamics as the only Corvette's I've driven or ridden in is my C3 I had. Before I pick up a new car, however, I'd like to include a modern Corvette as part of a range of test drives.

"Jeep is the only true American sports car*" - Enzo Ferrari

* Or something to that effect.
lupinsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 02:19 PM   #10
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
I like the styling of the C6. But I also am purposely trying to stay away from torque monsters because they are so street-unfriendly/cop-friendly.

As I've said before, the 987S is already silly fast 99% of the time. I rather pay for intangibles than brute speed.

As insane as it seems, I like the idea of the M3 because (aside from the fact that I am convinced it is the most fun you can buy today with 4 doors), it is not that fast off the line, yet it has plenty in reserve at the high end if you need it. And I don't mind shifting a lot. And it also covers a lot of the refinement thing that I've come to appreciate.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote