carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 11-15-2013, 05:09 PM   #601
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
.... but I think I'd use the extra 27 grand to buy a used Cayman S to take to the track.
I would be interested in that
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:02 AM   #602
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
So I received another software update from Tesla this morning -- a mere 11 days after getting the last update.

The new version is 5.8, previous was 5.6. The release notes document only 2 additional features -- a TPMS reset (which previously had to be done by the service center), and a "Wiper Service Mode" (which holds the wipers up, allowing the blades to be changed or snow/ice removed from the windshield).

Interestingly, this seems to be the first very fast rollout of an update from Tesla. First reports of it showing up were on Friday, and many TMC Forums members are reporting they are receiving it. In comparison, 5.6 first started showing up in mid Oct, and I received it about 3 weeks later -- and others still had not received it.

There is speculation (and a bit of an uproar) on TMC that the fast rollout may be due to Tesla's response to the fires -- an undocumented "feature" of 5.8 is that it disables the air suspension from lowering the car at speed. I had speculated someplace here (may not have been this thread) that a contributing factor to the 1st and 3rd fires may have been due to the ride-height being lower at speed -- i.e. the car self lowered, reducing ground clearance, which made it easier for the road hazard objects (a curved piece of metal and a trailer hitch) to penetrate the battery. The uproar at TMC is that this feature is being removed without notice to buyers of the Air Suspension (since many of them purchased the option since it promised better handling and range when the car self-lowered at speed).

My car does not have air suspension (I didn't want the potential for very expensive post-warranty work since air suspension systems can be very costly to replace). So this has no impact on me... But it will be curious to know if that is the reason for the quick rollout...
Old 11-19-2013, 06:48 AM   #603
JST

Interesting new statement from Tesla on the fires. The media blame, snark, and manipulation of statistics are all probably actively unhelpful.

But the actual announcements at worth reading, particularly the fact that Tesla is now going to be covering battery fires under warranty.

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/mission-tesla
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:30 AM   #604
ZBB
Relic

Quote:
Interesting new statement from Tesla on the fires. The media blame, snark, and manipulation of statistics are all probably actively unhelpful.

But the actual announcements at worth reading, particularly the fact that Tesla is now going to be covering battery fires under warranty.

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/mission-tesla
Thanks for posting the link... I suspect Tesla will blast this out to owners by email later today. I'll print this out an put it in my Tesla binder (I keep a binder on all my cars)...

The snarkiness is to be expected -- Elon's done that multiple times since I started paying attention to Tesla...

As for the announcements:
  • The warranty aspect is encouraging -- they are standing behind the product. This should help insurance rates in the long term since it takes the risk of loss of the insurer.
  • The offer to retrofit if any NHTSA findings show a redesign is needed is basically saying that if NHTSA says they need to do a recall, that they will. No news there...
Old 11-19-2013, 12:48 PM   #605
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
So I received another software update from Tesla this morning -- a mere 11 days after getting the last update.

The new version is 5.8, previous was 5.6. The release notes document only 2 additional features -- a TPMS reset (which previously had to be done by the service center), and a "Wiper Service Mode" (which holds the wipers up, allowing the blades to be changed or snow/ice removed from the windshield).

Interestingly, this seems to be the first very fast rollout of an update from Tesla. First reports of it showing up were on Friday, and many TMC Forums members are reporting they are receiving it. In comparison, 5.6 first started showing up in mid Oct, and I received it about 3 weeks later -- and others still had not received it.

There is speculation (and a bit of an uproar) on TMC that the fast rollout may be due to Tesla's response to the fires -- an undocumented "feature" of 5.8 is that it disables the air suspension from lowering the car at speed. I had speculated someplace here (may not have been this thread) that a contributing factor to the 1st and 3rd fires may have been due to the ride-height being lower at speed -- i.e. the car self lowered, reducing ground clearance, which made it easier for the road hazard objects (a curved piece of metal and a trailer hitch) to penetrate the battery. The uproar at TMC is that this feature is being removed without notice to buyers of the Air Suspension (since many of them purchased the option since it promised better handling and range when the car self-lowered at speed).

My car does not have air suspension (I didn't want the potential for very expensive post-warranty work since air suspension systems can be very costly to replace). So this has no impact on me... But it will be curious to know if that is the reason for the quick rollout...
kind of a clever running "fix", isn't it?

it's cool.

the 1st gen model S owners are people who aren't afraid of this kind of stuff, so you expect it. and the company is responsive.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:06 PM   #606
JST

Edmunds has an interesting article speculating about what the driver in TN might have hit.

http://www.edmunds.com/tesla/model-s...ch-he-hit.html

All of this tends to jibe with what I've seen speculated about before, and with the conclusion that hitting something like that is not something you want to do in ANY car.

My only issue with this piece is the bit about asking Tesla to talk to the driver. Come on, man, you're a "journalist." Do some journalism--email the guy (his name and contact info are very easy to find) and ask him the questions. You don't need Tesla's permission.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:49 PM   #607
ZBB
Relic

Quote:
Edmunds has an interesting article speculating about what the driver in TN might have hit.

http://www.edmunds.com/tesla/model-s...ch-he-hit.html

All of this tends to jibe with what I've seen speculated about before, and with the conclusion that hitting something like that is not something you want to do in ANY car.

My only issue with this piece is the bit about asking Tesla to talk to the driver. Come on, man, you're a "journalist." Do some journalism--email the guy (his name and contact info are very easy to find) and ask him the questions. You don't need Tesla's permission.
I read that last night. Excellent post.

As for the journalist comment -- while I agree, it really shows just how much the auto journalists fear getting on the bad side of their PR reps with the auto makers. Since I happen to know an auto journalist, I've leaned a little bit about how the PR guys handle their press fleets, the jockeying the journalists do to get a car scheduled, etc. Tesla has also been very picky on who gets a Tesla loaned to them (which is probably factors into why Edmunds purchased a Model S instead of waiting for a loaner, although it sounds like they always purchase their long-term fleet...).
Old 11-20-2013, 03:52 PM   #608
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
I read that last night. Excellent post.

As for the journalist comment -- while I agree, it really shows just how much the auto journalists fear getting on the bad side of their PR reps with the auto makers. Since I happen to know an auto journalist, I've leaned a little bit about how the PR guys handle their press fleets, the jockeying the journalists do to get a car scheduled, etc. Tesla has also been very picky on who gets a Tesla loaned to them (which is probably factors into why Edmunds purchased a Model S instead of waiting for a loaner, although it sounds like they always purchase their long-term fleet...).
Pretty sure Edmunds buys all of them all of their long term test cars. I know they bought the Focus ST they had and they did so with all the others I've followed as well. At times, some of the comments their people leave make it sound like "they" buy the car on their own, not Edmunds, but the only part that's clear is that the cars are not provided by the manufacturers.

edit-Clarified which cars I think Edmunds buys.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?

Last edited by clyde; 11-20-2013 at 04:13 PM.
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:03 PM   #609
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Pretty sure Edmunds buys all of them. I know they bought the Focus ST they had and they did so with all the others I've followed as well. At times, some of the comments their people leave make it sound like "they" buy the car on their own, not Edmunds, but the only part that's clear is that the cars are not provided by the manufacturers.
which ultimately is more fair, as manufacturers are tempted to and often do tweak their press fleet cars.

Ferrari is so notorious for doing this and are so difficult about providing cars that don't the magazines typically ask owners for their cars to use? (as a "for example")

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 04:14 PM   #610
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Pretty sure Edmunds buys all of them. I know they bought the Focus ST they had and they did so with all the others I've followed as well. At times, some of the comments their people leave make it sound like "they" buy the car on their own, not Edmunds, but the only part that's clear is that the cars are not provided by the manufacturers.
Yes, I think the latter is the way Evo works--the cars in the "Fast Fleet" appear to be personal cars of contributing authors, which makes some sense but also runs the risk of undercutting whatever objectivity there may be in reviews.

I believe that there have been a few occasions where Edmunds has used a press fleet car, but it's rare and they mention that they are doing it. I don't read Edmunds anywhere near as much as I used to since they sucked up their site and got rid of Inside Line.