carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 10-24-2018, 06:48 PM   #891
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Definitely. And I think ZBB did that with his car already. Just seems like an obvious improvement they could make (sounds like a lot of customers end up wrapping it). Hopefully glossy black plastic has run its course.
"Piano Black" was a big deal in the RX-8. In 2003.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 07:33 PM   #892
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
"Piano Black" was a big deal in the RX-8. In 2003.

Ha- yes. My 2001 e46 also had gloss black plastic trim pieces.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 07:48 PM   #893
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Yep - I wrapped the center console, took a whopping 15-20 min. There are a few choices, and I went with the brushed black metal. Looked great once on,

as for the dash, I’m sure some wraps will come out, there’s also at least one company offering the dash refinished in carbon fiber. They put carbon on the OEM dash piece, and do a core swap. If I had the P with white interior, I’d actually consider it since the only thing that stopped me from ordering the white interior was the dash color...
Old 10-24-2018, 08:25 PM   #894
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
as for the dash, I’m sure some wraps will come out, there’s also at least one company offering the dash refinished in carbon fiber. They put carbon on the OEM dash piece, and do a core swap. If I had the P with white interior, I’d actually consider it since the only thing that stopped me from ordering the white interior was the dash color...
Well, maybe you'll get your chance to redo your interior color choice.

Too soon?

Anyway, there are many colors and styles available in vinyl if you buy it in roll form and are willing to cut yourself. 1 foot by 5 feet is way more than enough and generally about $10 on Amazon. 3x5 about $25 in case you think you might need a few tries

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 10-24-2018, 08:32 PM   #895
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Well, maybe you'll get your chance to redo your interior color choice.

Too soon?

Anyway, there are many colors and styles available in vinyl if you buy it in roll form and are willing to cut yourself. 1 foot by 5 feet is way more than enough and generally about $10 on Amazon. 3x5 about $25 in case you think you might need a few tries
No, not too soon. I was hoping I would be ordering a replacement this month... but that ain’t happening now since the car is repairable... I’m still considering replacing it, but only if I can get enough on the diminished value claim...
Old 10-25-2018, 06:58 AM   #896
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
Interesting poll over at TMC

Not a scientific poll I know... But a pretty high level of satisfaction with EV's among owners.

How do you vote? Don't say overly rational stuff like: not enough data, cannot compute, give me time. Based on initial impressions and gut...
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 08:17 AM   #897
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
I vote, "no way, not going back" with one disclaimer.

Only problem is range. It's not what I expected and I have to think and plan around it more than I'm happy about.

So my answer is "not going back but I still need an ice car in the mix... And I hope battery technology keeps improving. "

I find myself doing an annoying level of planning each night:

1. Am I coming home right after work or am I going somewhere else? (city, etc?) if not, keep the charge limit at medium because it's better for battery life
2. If not coming straight home, do I want to have to drive like a grandmother on the trip (driving hard dumps power FAST)? If I do drive like a grandmother, will I make it without having to stop for a charge?
3. if yes to the #2, then I'll set the charge limit higher so I have enough juice to make it
4. If no to #2 I'll keep the charge limit at medium because I need to take an ICE vehicle anyway.

I knew these tradeoffs existed, but they kick in way before I expected them to.
For example, visiting my parents is 180 miles round-trip. I thought that would be easy, but nope.. That's well within the "you gotta plan" zone. I'll need to top it off, drive gently there and back, and not let them do aggressive test drives. Or I can find a destination charger while I'm there (there are no superchargers but one restaurant will let you charge (slowly) if you eat there.)

Last edited by rumatt; 10-25-2018 at 08:31 AM.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 08:48 AM   #898
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
I vote, "no way, not going back" with one disclaimer.

Only problem is range. It's not what I expected and I have to think and plan around it more than I'm happy about.

So my answer is "not going back but I still need an ice car in the mix... And I hope battery technology keeps improving. "

I find myself doing an annoying level of planning each night:

1. Am I coming home right after work or am I going somewhere else? (city, etc?) if not, keep the charge limit at medium because it's better for battery life
2. If not coming straight home, do I want to have to drive like a grandmother on the trip (driving hard dumps power FAST)? If I do drive like a grandmother, will I make it without having to stop for a charge?
3. if yes to the #2, then I'll set the charge limit higher so I have enough juice to make it
4. If no to #2 I'll keep the charge limit at medium because I need to take an ICE vehicle anyway.

I knew these tradeoffs existed, but they kick in way before I expected them to.
For example, visiting my parents is 180 miles round-trip. I thought that would be easy, but nope.. That's well within the "you gotta plan" zone. I'll need to top it off, drive gently there and back, and not let them do aggressive test drives. Or I can find a destination charger while I'm there (there are no superchargers but one restaurant will let you charge (slowly) if you eat there.)
You've had the car three days, right?

My guess is that the "annoying level of planning each night" will drop off pretty quickly. Get a couple extended drives under your belt and you'll find the solutions. Solutions for the daily stuff will become clear soon. Anxiety will ease and annoyance will lessen. Significantly.

Seems more like you're going through an adjustment phase rather than having a problem.

You know I'm not a Tesla fanboi, apologist, or anything of the sort, so...

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 10-25-2018, 09:02 AM   #899
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
A friend started a FB thread today:

"[Is] the Model 3 really in DS? I am watching one right now, and it isn't slow."

That language from that person is something I took notice of.

I guess I missed where the RWD 3 was classed for SCCA Solo in the same class as my Camaro. Does not include AWD or Performance. (Yet, anyway.)

The thread includes some comments from a Tesla development driver who said the only suspension adjustability is toe front and rear, the open dif is a bit of a problem for the RWD, and the traction/stability systems are not defeatable. He keeps asking for them to be made defeatable because he finds more time when he shuts them down. He also says the forthcoming "track mode" in Performance AWD cars lets you be pretty aggressively before intervening.

Dunno how much this is all old news to you guys, but I guess I'm paying a little attention now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I’m curious about where they class the AWD. I fully intend to run at least a couple of events in it next year—maybe by then track mode will be out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Hm, this means as of right now my car is in DS, right? My 450 hp, AWD car that runs 11 second quarters?
The Model 3 line includes RWD and AWD. Was initially listed as "Model 3 (RWD)". The AWD was classed in the August Fasttrack when they dropped the "(RWD)" part.

Expect "Model 3 AWD Performance" (is there a RWD Performance?) to be classed somewhere else before next season begins.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 10-25-2018, 09:13 AM   #900
JST

No, there’s no RWD Performance. Tesla stopped offering high power RWD cars in late 2014, when the first P85D came out and replaced the P85.

There is an AWD and and AWD performance, and then there’s the Performance Upgrade Package, but the hardware differences between the PUP cars (or p3D+ as it’s sometimes called, even though Tesla doesn’t call it that) are probably not relevant to autocrossing. OTOH, if only P3D+ cars get “track mode,” that could be a big deal.

Re: range. Yes, planning gets easier as you get into the rhythm of it.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote