carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Technical Superiority > Spit Shined

Old 09-28-2009, 11:20 AM   #1
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
On detailing and car waxes

-I'm never detailing 2 cars back to back. And I mean, wash, dry, clay, wash, dry, apply/remove polish, apply/remove wax. My back was killing me.
-Polishing/waxing a white car BLOWS. It's freaking impossible to see the residue.
-I used an old, leftover bottle of Meguires Golc Class liquid wax on the V70R (from my 190E days). That stuff is a breeze to apply and more importantly, to remove. In contrast, Griot's Best of Show wax sucks pond water. I almost threw it out. But I don't plan on using it again. What a PITA. The Gold Class stuff feels far more slippery too.
-Why can't you just buy clay at stores? They all get bundled with kits of detailing spray and MF towels. Grrr.
-Mothers detailing spray sucks. I like Griots and Meguires better.

I may get around to taking some good photos of the 987S today. Sometime this week for sure.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 02:58 PM   #2
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
I don't mind that the big chains have bundled clay / detailer. The clay usually lasts longer than the detailer does for me.

I absolutely despise detailing cars. I like the result, but the work itself I find miserable. I'd rather be wrenchin'.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 03:57 PM   #3
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
I absolutely despise detailing cars. I like the result, but the work itself I find miserable. I'd rather be wrenchin'.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:51 PM   #4
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
Best of show wax is a pita, no doubt. But you can take most of it off with the orbital and the result is on par with any of the high end finish lines. I can't comment on your slipperiness comparison test, but I would be interested to hear how each held up over time. Godl Classic is a decent product, but I haven't found many liquid wax products (caranuba based, anyway) that hold up as well as Best of Show.

But the key to happiness for me (now that I have kids that actually want attention on the weekends) is the once a year sealer and spray on wax after every (more or less) wash. The sealer is not too bad to apply and the spray on wax takes 10 minutes.

How much time did it take to do two cars back to back? For the regimen you described, i would need a weekend for each I think. Certainly two very, very long days. Maybe you cut corners on the Volvo. Oh, I never bother to dry before a clay, either. The water just helps with teh lubrication and you are goign to wash it again anyway, so water spots don't matter. Saves 10 or 15 minutes.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 04:59 PM   #5
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
Best of show wax is a pita, no doubt. But you can take most of it off with the orbital and the result is on par with any of the high end finish lines. I can't comment on your slipperiness comparison test, but I would be interested to hear how each held up over time. Godl Classic is a decent product, but I haven't found many liquid wax products (caranuba based, anyway) that hold up as well as Best of Show.

But the key to happiness for me (now that I have kids that actually want attention on the weekends) is the once a year sealer and spray on wax after every (more or less) wash. The sealer is not too bad to apply and the spray on wax takes 10 minutes.

How much time did it take to do two cars back to back? For the regimen you described, i would need a weekend for each I think. Certainly two very, very long days. Maybe you cut corners on the Volvo. Oh, I never bother to dry before a clay, either. The water just helps with teh lubrication and you are goign to wash it again anyway, so water spots don't matter. Saves 10 or 15 minutes.
I took last week off. I had to spread the work over 3 days as I was also hosting many canadians for my kids 2nd B-day.

Yeah, I should not have dried in between.

I apply by machine, but remove by hand, which made BoS wax a royal PITA.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:18 PM   #6
Rob
The user formerly known as rwg

Carmudgeonly Ride: Z4
http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...val+bonnets.do

They work . . . ok. Better than not having them to use. But you need a handful. With as much work as you were doing, you never would have had enough.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:31 PM   #7
Terri Kennedy
There and back again

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2003 BMW 325xiT; looking for a new fun car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
How much time did it take to do two cars back to back? For the regimen you described, i would need a weekend for each I think. Certainly two very, very long days.
When I do the E46 wagon, it takes me 3 or 4 long days (exterior and interior). I use Zaino products on it.

The Atom is in some ways easier and in some ways a lot harder - there aren't a lot of body panels, and the place that applied clear film to all of them gave me some spray-on cleaner/polish that's amazing. Smells like suntan lotion (coconut), but gives a great finish.

So the body panels are easy. But since everything is exposed, there are lots of places to be cleaned. I use some stuff called ACF50 on the engine casting - it is designed to prevent oxidation on aluminum aircraft surfaces.
Terri Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 12:07 AM   #8
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
That process usually takes me about 5-6 hours and that's not doing the interior. Do it twice a year and yes it sucks!!

I will say that Indy Mike got me stuck on this marine boat wax that is the best stuff I have used in some time. It really repels and lasts a long time. I'll have to go out to the garage and see what it's called. Very easy to remove as well.

I used to use best in show then a stint with Blitz 1k grand wax. This beats them both.

Griots does make the best detail spray though. So easy to pop off the cover and do a 10 min wipedown before heading out.
Old 09-29-2009, 07:57 AM   #9
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
I use rejex... Easy peasy.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:25 AM   #10
FC
Solving problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
I use rejex... Easy peasy.
I read a while ago that rejex was darn-near everlasting. Does it hold up well. I certainly will go there once I finish my stuff, but maybe sooner.