carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 07-29-2017, 07:29 AM   #231
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
You can check your delivery estimate here:
https://3.tesla.com/model3/delivery-estimate

For me it says:
- First production ($49k -- long range + premium) -- Oct to Dec 2017
- Standard Battery ($35k) -- Dec 2017 to Feb 2018
- Dual Motor (no price, same range choices) Jul to Sep 2018

I'm curious if someone with an East Coast address shows different ranges -- I purposely haven't changed my address on file with Tesla to OH yet...
Old 07-29-2017, 08:01 AM   #232
JST

Ah, cool! Yes, I show the same ranges.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 08:04 AM   #233
ZBB
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Ah, cool! Yes, I show the same ranges.
Cool... perhaps I will change my address to OH.

The big question I have is when will other interior colors become avail. I really don't want a black interior.
Old 07-29-2017, 09:03 AM   #234
JST

The biggest surprise to me from the specs so far is the weight, which is given as 3500-3800 lbs. Even assuming this is for the spec without the glass roof, it's impressive how light the Model 3 is for an EV; there seems to be little or no penalty as compared to something like the BMW 3 series.

Wonder how they did that.

The price of the self-driving software is kind of crazy, but it's an understandable way to get the base price to 35K. For someone like me who actively dislikes the idea of self-driving, it's a great discount.

I'll probably wait until next year for the AWD version, because otherwise I'd have to swap the P85+ less than a year after getting it. But I haven't decided yet.
Old 07-29-2017, 09:29 AM   #235
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
I'm still debating whether I'm going to want an AWD model 3 at some point for use s a winter car. Put as little money into the wagon as possible and upgrade to a Model 3 down the road.

What's the prevailing wisdom on AWD vs RWD on Tesla? From what I've read the AWD is fine, but a bit noisier?
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 01:36 PM   #236
ZBB
Relic

The weight is even more amazing considering that the 3 is mostly a steel body, and the side impact test they showed in the live stream was impressive.

I also need to decide on RWD vs AWD. I had a S90D Loaner about a week ago when my S was in the shop for its 75k mile service. Commute that morning was rainy and it was nice having AP features for lane keeping and stop-and-go traffic. I was also impressed with the AWD capabilities -- really sticky in the wet (and I purposely tested it on a turn after a stop that my RWD S often slips on in the wet -- and the 90D didn't slip at all). I've driven a couple of D's and haven't noticed a noise difference. The motor whine might be slightly more audible on acceleration, but its still much quieter than any ICE...

Hopefully the AWD becomes avail before the tax credits start phasing out...

Last edited by ZBB; 07-29-2017 at 04:05 PM.
ZBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 04:02 PM   #237
ZBB
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
The little styling tweaks they did to it really improve the look. It'll be interesting to see if the reliability has improved since the Model S, which was pretty miserable.
My Model S has been very reliable, although I did have some of the common issues with early production (my VIN is just over 11k, and was a May 2013 production, so is a first year car). I had a handful of minor assembly problems (like a chip in the glass edge of the rear view mirror). I also had the drive unit replaced about 9 months in, and a sunroof rail was replaced about 2 years in. But the last 2 years have been basically trouble free, and the car has never stranded me.
Old 07-30-2017, 03:00 PM   #238
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 02:06 PM   #239
JST

Just got the email to configure my Model 3. Delivery is promised within 4 weeks if I pull the trigger on the "early production" spec (i.e, RWD, long range battery, 'premium' upgrades). Other option is to hold my place in line for the true base model, or for the dual motor AWD car.

I suspect I am going to wait for the dual motor car. Not really ready to take delivery in a month.
Old 01-04-2018, 02:11 PM   #240
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Deliveries for the Model 3 are set to start in 2017, which I take to mean that they will deliver a few hundred cars in late 2017. I'd bet on early 2018 as the timeframe for delivery of a reservation you make on day 1, again assuming your going to buy a fully optioned car.
Quote:
Just got the email to configure my Model 3. Delivery is promised within 4 weeks if I pull the trigger on the "early production" spec (i.e, RWD, long range battery, 'premium' upgrades). Other option is to hold my place in line for the true base model, or for the dual motor AWD car.

I suspect I am going to wait for the dual motor car. Not really ready to take delivery in a month.
Not a bad timeline prediction made 21 months ago...

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote