carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 05-10-2014, 06:22 AM   #31
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
. I have something in the works, a new auto purchase, but it goes against the 'code' of a mudgeon.

Wouldn't going against the 'code' still leave like a choice of 99% of all cars out there
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:50 AM   #32
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff View Post
Not at all? Given that logic, one could just as easily say that they don't understand the point of any vehicle.
What?

Here's what I don't understand about them. For a people hauler or daily driver, why buy an inefficient, heavy, ponderous body-on-frame truck? A lighter unibody style crossover / SUV makes a lot more sense. If you're towing, the 4Runner sucks at that compared to something like a Tahoe or a crew cab pickup truck. A local couple that we race with bought one, towed a 2,000lb miata with it for a year and sold it to get a Ram, because it truly sucked. Soft suspension, no power, etc.

Not to mention... holy mother of god is it ugly.

John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 12:41 PM   #33
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
What?

Here's what I don't understand about them. For a people hauler or daily driver, why buy an inefficient, heavy, ponderous body-on-frame truck? A lighter unibody style crossover / SUV makes a lot more sense. If you're towing, the 4Runner sucks at that compared to something like a Tahoe or a crew cab pickup truck. A local couple that we race with bought one, towed a 2,000lb miata with it for a year and sold it to get a Ram, because it truly sucked. Soft suspension, no power, etc.

The SR5 & Trail front end are horrible. The Limited is livable.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-05-10 at 12.37.21 PM.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	9342  
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 12:42 PM   #34
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ff View Post
Not at all? Given that logic, one could just as easily say that they don't understand the point of any vehicle.
Exactly

Quote:
What?

]
The answer is simple as can be ... Everyone has their own tastes

Why do people buy sports cars, why do people buy sedans, why do people buy suv's, why a 2 door, why a 4 door, why red, why white, etc. Etc. ...
Old 05-10-2014, 02:50 PM   #35
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
What?

A neighbor/friend bought a new 4Runner about two years ago to replace his Murano. He was mad at and hated the Murano. Not for the awful CVT in the Murano. Not the horrible ergonomics that make them painful to spend time in. Not the terrible driving dynamics. Not any of the infinite number of things that were actually bad about the vehicle. He hated it because he got stuck in the snow with it once. In his driveway. At the time, he had not quite bald, but worn snow tires. I think that storm produced about five inches of snow. And he was stuck in his driveway.

The only thing he cared about was feeling like he would be unstoppable in the snow. I suggested snow tires and offered to change them in fall and spring in exchange for a beer each time. "No. I have to get rid of that awful thing." He looked at Scoobies, Audis, BMW Xx, shunned domestics, refused Nissan products because they made the Murano. And he loves his 4Runner now.

I don't really get it either. I just acknowledge it.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 04:26 PM   #36
John V
No more BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
Exactly

The answer is simple as can be ... Everyone has their own tastes

Why do people buy sports cars, why do people buy sedans, why do people buy suv's, why a 2 door, why a 4 door, why red, why white, etc. Etc. ...
Why do some people beat their wives? Because they like to, and everyone has their own taste.
Old 05-11-2014, 05:24 AM   #37
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Why do some people beat their wives? Because they like to, and everyone has their own taste.
Committing a crime and assaulting another individual has nothing to do with having different tastes ... I'm no psychiatrist but I would think 'liking it' has very little to do with why a person would do such a horrible thing either ...
Old 05-11-2014, 09:06 PM   #38
ff

Quote:
Here's what I don't understand about them. For a people hauler or daily driver, why buy an inefficient, heavy, ponderous body-on-frame truck? A lighter unibody style crossover / SUV makes a lot more sense. If you're towing, the 4Runner sucks at that compared to something like a Tahoe or a crew cab pickup truck.
That lighter crossover makes more sense for some people. But good luck towing much of anything with it. Or traveling off the pavement.

The 4Runner has quite a bit more compact dimensions than that Tahoe or crew cab. And better fuel economy. And usually, I'll bet, a lot less expensive to maintain.

There are plenty of reasons to choose the 4Runner over a shitty crossover or clumsy Tahoe/pickup. Depends upon what you need and desire.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 05:55 AM   #39
John V
No more BMWs

So it's for the person who wants a vehicle that can do it all... badly.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:51 AM   #40
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
I don't understand why some people in this thread are being jackasses about "if I don't see the point of this car, I don't know why anyone would buy it?" and the spousal abuse comparison is just disgusting. Come on folks, let's be adults. You don't like a certain vehicle or brand, don't buy it. There are tons of people out there that have no desire to own the cars that you drive also and that doesn't automatically make them "wrong".