carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Going Faster

Old 02-19-2019, 09:12 AM   #151
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Last night I finished ohming out all of the connections to the Haltech. I found one error where a bunch of +12V switched signals from one of the main relays were supposed to be ganged together and I had missed one. After connecting that properly I plugged in the ECU and turned on the ignition. To my surprise, the fuel pump ran its 2.5s prime cycle. I didn't expect that because you can't load a tune into the ECU until it's powered up. Regardless, that was encouraging. I connected the laptop to the ECU and the gauge package came up with no issue. It automatically calibrated the DBW throttle, which seems to work very well. All the sensors gave plausible readings for temperature.

I have a few more things to check before I put the intake manifold back on and button it up but it looks promising. I like the Haltech tuning interface so far. Very flexible and intuitive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190218_182409.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	4.82 MB
ID:	12274  
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 10:04 AM   #152
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
That is exciting. Congrats. How long do you think until you get behind the wheel and can take it for a spin?
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 10:40 AM   #153
John V
No more BMWs

I should have the shocks back this week, so... Could be this weekend if things go well
Old 02-19-2019, 10:52 AM   #154
Nick M3
Relic

What terminals are those? I’m constantly working on wiring.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 11:47 AM   #155
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
Old 02-19-2019, 11:51 AM   #156
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
I don't know enough about this to ask intelligent questions, so if it's OK I'd like to ask some dumb ones.

1. Is all of this wiring needed because you put the a different engine in the car? Or is some of it needed because you also decided on some custom engine management for performance? Or because you added a turbo?

2. You said the Haltech harness is clearly labeled. Is it specific to the miata engine, and you need to figure out how to connect all the inputs that it needs? Or are there some standards, so you bought a harness designed to connect a Miata-type engine to an RX-8-type chassis?

3. Insert questions here that I don't enough to ask but will want to know once you answer 1 & 2.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 12:13 PM   #157
John V
No more BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
Non-insulated crimp terminals. Basically a barrel sized for whatever gauge wiring you're working with. Peter suggested to me that he's used these for years and they're very robust. I don't like soldered connections for automotive use because they are brittle. Ballenger sells these. So does Digi-Key.

https://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/pr...3nunug5gc0niq0

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
I don't know enough about this to ask intelligent questions, so if it's OK I'd like to ask some dumb ones.

1. Is all of this wiring needed because you put the a different engine in the car? Or is some of it needed because you also decided on some custom engine management for performance? Or because you added a turbo?
The wiring is needed for the Haltech. Once I had the car running on the stock Mazda ECU I could have just used that as the basis for tuning the engine, but it lacks a few features that I wanted. First being flex fuel capability (E85 or a blend of it). Second being anti-lag for the turbo and third being launch / traction control. I ended up picking the Haltech because it has all of those features natively built-in.

Quote:
2. You said the Haltech harness is clearly labeled. Is it specific to the miata engine, and you need to figure out how to connect all the inputs that it needs? Or are there some standards, so you bought a harness designed to connect a Miata-type engine to an RX-8-type chassis?
It's a universal harness and a universal ECU. Meaning, it has 'X' available analog inputs, 'Y' available digital outputs, and requires certain voltage and trigger inputs to work, like a crank angle sensor, cam angle sensor, water temp, TPS, etc. The end user determines how many widgets they want to control (like wastegate solenoids, the alternator, etc) and how many additional inputs they want (like oil temp and pressure sensors, fuel composition sensors, etc). The end user then wires them up appropriately, configures them in the software, loads that tune to the ECU and goes from there.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:49 PM   #158
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
It's a universal harness and a universal ECU. Meaning, it has 'X' available analog inputs, 'Y' available digital outputs, and requires certain voltage and trigger inputs to work, like a crank angle sensor, cam angle sensor, water temp, TPS, etc. The end user determines how many widgets they want to control (like wastegate solenoids, the alternator, etc) and how many additional inputs they want (like oil temp and pressure sensors, fuel composition sensors, etc). The end user then wires them up appropriately, configures them in the software, loads that tune to the ECU and goes from there.
Holy crap that's awesome. So you are going to make all your own mappings for controlling everything?

Because that's also terrifying. So.. many... knobs to turn. I assume there are some sane starting points, and then you will tweak from there?
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2019, 01:11 PM   #159
John V
No more BMWs

I have a "base map" from a guy that did a Haltech install on his NC Miata, which is basically what my car is at this point. I'm hoping it works, because it will save me a lot of time in getting the basic engine configured. But people have been doing this for years, there is a process for developing a base fuel / spark map.
Old 02-19-2019, 01:43 PM   #160
John V
No more BMWs

A few neat features of the Haltech...

The DBW curve is fully customizable. I could make it super soggy at low throttle openings like a Prius if I wanted, or have 10% pedal travel translate to 50% throttle opening like an E46 M3 in "Sport" mode.

It integrates with the Mazda's CAN bus, meaning it can drive the stock gauges, interface with the ABS (for determining wheel speeds for use with traction control), etc.

It supports boost trimming. I.e. I can have a position switch on the dashboard with "n" states, each translating to a different tune. I could take a run on one setting, then dial back the peak boost level if desired. Or dial it up. Kinda cool.

Flat shift. You can program it to allow shifting without lifting off the throttle. It will periodically cut spark to hold rpm while maintaining boost between shifts while not allowing the engine to over-rev.