carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 10-28-2023, 10:33 AM   #111
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
Really?! That I did not know.

They used to make 3 series sedans in South Africa and shifted the production to Mexico, and now use South Africa as overflow for X3 production. All global 2 series come from Mexico and believe most/all North American 3 series now supplied from Mexico, except M3.
Old 10-28-2023, 12:22 PM   #112
dan
redefined

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
Something that everyone should know if they do not already, all G20s for the US market are produced in Mexico.
I don’t understand the relevance to this discussion
Old 10-28-2023, 01:10 PM   #113
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan View Post
I don’t understand the relevance to this discussion
The G20 M340 was brought up by FC, therefore it is relevant. Shouldn’t you apply the same question towards SARAFIL re post #111?

I was clearly stating some factual information which apparently FC was unaware of. There are many individuals that are totally unaware that BMW has had a newish assembly facility open in Mexico since 2019, much less what is currently produced there.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 01:43 PM   #114
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
I just drove an M5, a 540i and an M550i.

First, the M5.

Salesman came along with my wife and I. First impressions are that while the interior feels roomier, it doesn't feel large while driving. The same goes for the exterior. When on the road you are fine, but when parking you realize there is more there to consider. This was the case with all cars.

Anyway, the M5 in comfort mode felt surprisingly comfortable. It was as advertised. Much more comfortable than the F80C aided in part by better overall insulation. It handled its weight very well. Speed was stupid-fast even just mashing it on comfort mode all-round. There is a sense of there being a lot going on. Sort of a restrained intensity. The same goes for the suspension. It's clearly a sports suspension doing its best to be comfortable. That said, my wife did not argue. It was a pleasant car to be in. But there was a mild feeling of intimidation, for a lack of a better word. Maybe it was just driving a 5er for the first time. Maybe it was placebo from being in an "M5." It passed the comfort test, but my wife seems a bit disappointed with the seat comfort.

We decided to drive a couple of miles down to BMW to drive a CPO 2021 540i with 37k miles. It was in excellent condition for its age and had the M Sport package.

My wife immediately felt that the seats were more comfortable. I'd agree that the foam seemed softer (also more broken in) but while good overall, the M5 had far more lateral support.

The ride was surprisingly not better in both our opinions. It was about the same overall but different. The springs seemed softer but overly damped - opposite to the M5 (in comfort) in comparison. The car felt easier and simpler to drive. Less intense, perhaps a smidge lighter, and pleasant. It was quick when pushed. Fast enough that nobody needs more speed. My wife was leaning heavily towards the 540i. The asking price was only $48k or so, so the cost was significantly less (although it was missing options we'd want and it was bit high on mileage).

One thing I did notice, surprisingly, was that the engine under load did not sound refined. It had a bit of an unpleasant rasp. Kudos for the execution of the auto engine shut-off with 48V assist. It was seamless.

She proposed that we drive the closest M550i regardless of options. We did.

This car did not have the DHP. The difference in refinement was evident even for my wife. The engine sound was significantly better and the smoothness of the thrust was leagues better. The ride felt the same although I could swear I could feel the extra weight on this car (we also had the salesman which we did not on the 540i). The M550i felt far floatier and heavier than the M5. On an exit ramp the 550i felt heavier and the seats did not hug as much as the M5.

My wife loved the M550i and clearly preferred it to the 540i to the point that she effectively ruled the 540i out to the extent that affordability is not an issue.

My wife wanted to go back to the M5 to try the seats again. We did. After playing around with the settings she got it to a point where they felt better, but she still gave the seat comfort nod to the non-M's. Unquestionably, the rear seats of the M5 were far more comfortable. My wife preferred the back seat to the front seat. I told her I'd be happy to chauffeur her around. The geometry of the rear seats were a huge factor. The non M's looked like a park bench in comparison to the more buckety M5 seats.

My early thoughts:

The 540i is an excellent car and the sensible choice. Anything beyond this is an indulgence. No one should look any further if money is a consideration at all.

The M550i improves on the 540i with a heavy dose of powertrain refinement. The sound and the thrust are worth the premium. It was clearly noticeable even to my wife and worthwhile to her. It is the better car putting cost aside, but I did feel that it didn't handle its added mass an power appropriately. The 540i is more balanced. I would say that the M550i is a car for someone who wants the luxury of the smoothness and power of a V8 but is not necessarily interested/worried about the best handling. Looked at it differently, one could say BMW put too much power into the M550i. The car is amazing driven up to 6/10ths. Beyond that, the handling starts falling short. If you are not really a car guy, but want a nice BMW that can consume miles very fast and in comfort, or if you want the most 5er without forking out stupid M5 money, this is a great car.

A potentially huge issue is that the DHP could address some of the above.

The M5 brings back the balance to the car despite the extra power. It feels lighter and FAR more eager and ready to be pushed - even just a little. It's the driver's car of the bunch. It's also good for driving smoothly and in comfort around town. It also has lots of little goodies (lot's of "///M-ness", CF roof, nicer body kit, better exhaust, etc.). The issue with the M5 is that the cost premium is massive when new.

My wife says she liked them all and to get what I want. I know if it were her choice, she would pick the M550i.

Assuming similarly equipped 2021 cars I'm probably looking at:

540i = ~$50k
M550i = ~$60k
M5 = ~$80k

I'm still thinking, but to the extent that M550i's are hard to find and I liked M5, I am leaning that way.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 02:39 PM   #115
SCA
Jaded

I told you that I thought you would like the M5, especially over the M550. The M5 truly is a hell of a car! It is crazy what they are capable of on a track too.
Old 10-28-2023, 02:52 PM   #116
zach
swinging for the fences

Carmudgeonly Ride: 987, X7 M60i, e36 M3
I knew it! Great write-up and best of luck finding the right M5.
zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 03:57 PM   #117
robg
Carmudgeon

Great write-up! Seems like the M5 is the one and you’ll regret it if you don’t go for that choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 04:57 PM   #118
JST

Nice write up. M5 seems like the choice here, and though 80K is a lot of scratch, that’s still a pretty steep discount off new.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 05:29 PM   #119
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Nice write up. M5 seems like the choice here, and though 80K is a lot of scratch, that’s still a pretty steep discount off new.
Thanks everyone for your patience with my waffling.

Yeah, $80k is a lot, but like a said, that is close to a new i4 M40i. From that POV, the acquisition cost is not too terrible. I realize that the M5 comes with significantly higher operating costs vs. a new $80k car, but I’m ok with that.

BTW, Mrs FC asked again, why not an EV? They had an i4 in the showroom and I asked her to have a seat in the back row. It took 10 seconds for her to say “nope.”
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 05:35 PM   #120
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
BTW, Mrs FC asked again, why not an EV? They had an i4 in the showroom and I asked her to have a seat in the back row. It took 10 seconds for her to say “nope.”