carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 06-25-2019, 04:47 PM   #1251
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
The other thing you can do to avoid specific highways is just map out the route on a computer beforehand and send it to your phone. Google always tries to find the fastest route so it will steer you back to the interstate in most cases.

I literally did not know Apple maps was still a thing. Is it still the worst thing ever?
I find it to be quite good, but still prefer Google if I had to choose.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 05:15 PM   #1252
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Apropos, I just did a mine hour roundtrip drive to pick my kid up from camp. I used Google Maps and intentionally selected the optional route that was just a bit longer but avoiding horrible interstates with trucks. But, without asking and confirming, Google Maps defaulted to the interstates as I was driving. Maddening. Any way to stop that from happening?
Why didn’t you use Waze ? While I am not crazy about how the map graphics I want to know where the cops are ... does google maps see other drivers using it and can tell you the fastest way ?
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 05:29 PM   #1253
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
Why didn’t you use Waze ? While I am not crazy about how the map graphics I want to know where the cops are ... does google maps see other drivers using it and can tell you the fastest way ?
i just noticed google maps on android auto started having the cop markers
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 06:01 PM   #1254
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
i just noticed google maps on android auto started having the cop markers
We here do know that Google bought/owns Waze, right?
Old 06-25-2019, 06:07 PM   #1255
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
I literally did not know Apple maps was still a thing. Is it still the worst thing ever?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
I find it to be quite good, but still prefer Google if I had to choose.
iOS 13 gets a new version of Apple Maps. Public beta opened yesterday and early reports about it are encouraging.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 06:17 PM   #1256
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
The other thing you can do to avoid specific highways is just map out the route on a computer beforehand and send it to your phone. Google always tries to find the fastest route so it will steer you back to the interstate in most cases.

I've done that a bunch of times, and as you say, Google Maps still pushes its own speedy agenda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
iOS 13 gets a new version of Apple Maps. Public beta opened yesterday and early reports about it are encouraging.
'
It is better. And I can't wait for it to get better still.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 07:05 PM   #1257
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
I hope it’s the light at the end of the tunnel for you.
Thanks. But the trunk is still leaking. Not as much, but all along the top row now. Drove home in a heavy downpour yesterday, and there were drops of water all along the trunk mat, right below the top seal.

They will take a look at it again when the T badge comes in. Supposed to be dry for a few days, plus its garaged at home and work...
Old 06-25-2019, 07:09 PM   #1258
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:

I use Apple Maps when I need walking directions (like when in Europe...). The Watch integration is nice -- no need to carry the phone around, just glance at the watch to see the next street name.

I used it in Porto and Lisbon last week and it worked well enough. Took me to the back door of one restaurant though (the building fronted one street and backed another. Google had the front door correct...

Google dropped their Watch app. Perhaps they will bring it back for WatchOS 6
Old 06-25-2019, 09:14 PM   #1259
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
Thanks. But the trunk is still leaking. Not as much, but all along the top row now. Drove home in a heavy downpour yesterday, and there were drops of water all along the trunk mat, right below the top seal.

They will take a look at it again when the T badge comes in. Supposed to be dry for a few days, plus its garaged at home and work...
Well, crap.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 09:23 PM   #1260
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post

Arghh ... this sucks ... Are you sure it’s not from the accident .. I don’t recall your accident but was the rear of the car damaged, we have 2 other guys here with model 3’s and their cars aren’t leaking.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote