carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 06-07-2017, 09:59 PM   #181
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

Camaro SS, if you must limit yourself to two cars total. But be forewarned that the "back seat" in that car may not even meet the legal definition of "back seat."
blee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 10:14 PM   #182
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee View Post
Camaro SS, if you must limit yourself to two cars total. But be forewarned that the "back seat" in that car may not even meet the legal definition of "back seat."
I have two running cars and two decorative objects. Next spring, we may have three drivers. The plan had been to have my daughter help get the Miata running and that would become her car. The more I've thought about it, the more uncomfortable I am with her driving the Miata.

My wife's twice wrecked nearly five year old Outback is advancing in mileage and is generally crappy teenager-appropriate condition.

I'm going to start talking to my wife about maybe getting a new car for her and giving the Outback to our daughter. She'll still have to help me get the Miata running first, but we'll sell it after it's running.

The Jag will go, too, taking us down to three cars in daily use. A Focus/Z06 combo becomes an option, then.

I really want a ZL1, but that's not going to happen. A 16 or 17 Camaro SS is what I think I want that's doable, but I'd still be happy with a Mustang.

I need to figure out what all the possibilities would cost and get a sense of where my wife's comfort level is.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 10:45 PM   #183
blee
Doctor Mudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
I have two running cars and two decorative objects. Next spring, we may have three drivers. The plan had been to have my daughter help get the Miata running and that would become her car. The more I've thought about it, the more uncomfortable I am with her driving the Miata.

My wife's twice wrecked nearly five year old Outback is advancing in mileage and is generally crappy teenager-appropriate condition.

I'm going to start talking to my wife about maybe getting a new car for her and giving the Outback to our daughter. She'll still have to help me get the Miata running first, but we'll sell it after it's running.

The Jag will go, too, taking us down to three cars in daily use. A Focus/Z06 combo becomes an option, then.

I really want a ZL1, but that's not going to happen. A 16 or 17 Camaro SS is what I think I want that's doable, but I'd still be happy with a Mustang.

I need to figure out what all the possibilities would cost and get a sense of where my wife's comfort level is.
Strongly agree on not giving the Miata to your girl. Not that she wouldn't be a responsible driver, but the world is full of jackasses. (One of my employees ended up at the ER after a hit-and-run; the other driver rear ended him, pulled up next to him, stared, and then drove off. License plate clearly visible.) I think the Outback is a much better idea.

I've said it before -- the nice thing about having an extra car is that you can leave practical considerations mostly out of the purchasing process. Having my Swiss army knife truck allowed me to pick the scalpel or sledgehammer of my choice -- and, really, I'm almost disappointed that I ended up with a car with two rows of seating. (Almost.)
blee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 08:18 PM   #184
clyde
Chief title editor

So, I've decided (at least for now) I am buying a Camaro next.

I don't know how many cylinders it will have.

I want V8 noises, but I may be best off with the turbo four. In a perfect world, a 1SS with 1LE and PDR. The alternative is a no-option base 1LT with the 2.0 turbo and 6MT. In the middle is a 1SS, possibly with the 8-speed slushie (because it's magic), possibly with the magnetic shocks and possibly with Recaros.

1SS 1LE MSRP: $45.7
1SS 8AT MRC: $42.3
1SS MRC only: $40
I4T MSRP: $26.9

Possibly add $400 for one of the fancier colors.

Based on last year, current pricing, etc, my expectation is the 2017 cars will sell for about $8-$10k below MSRP after incentives and haggling.

I've become more serious about autocross again and classing figures into decision making. The turbo four is in one class, the non-1LE/ZL1 car's are in a second class, the V6 1LE is in a third class and the 1LE and ZL1 are in a fourth class.

The non-1LE V8 and turbo four will probably remain competitive in their classes for a couple years. The 1LE cars are probably not competitive where they are, but no one is running them. Until winter, any of them could be moved in any direction without notice. After that, class changes go through a longer process that wouldn't take place at least until the following season. It's possible, but not probable, they could all be classed together next year. Bench racing, extrapolating and such...the turbo four could still be ultra competitive because it's that much lighter. If they all stay where they are, the turbo four and non-1LE V8 are probably classed most competitively. I'm betting the turbo four will be on more stable footing for a couple years, but that could be very wrong. The 1LE cars are probably buried, but since no one is running them,

There is a rule update under consideration concerning dealer installed options that could have an impact on what options and how the cars are classed, but that won't be decided until after I'll have to act.

I don't *want* a turbo four Camaro, but at under $20k... Hard not to think hard about that. And the savings would make me feel considerably less guilty about spending on autocross for a couple years.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 08:38 PM   #185
Biggins
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 22 Tiguan, 11 328i
I don't necessarily like or want a Camaro Turbo, but I think it's a great option for autocross, especially Prosolos... I looked at one earlier this year but it's not for me (to own). If you end up with one and want a tire warmer for Prosolos, let me know!

That said, the V8 exists and makes fun noises.
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:07 PM   #186
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post

I've become more serious about autocross again and classing figures into decision making. The turbo four is in one class, the non-1LE/ZL1 car's are in a second class, the V6 1LE is in a third class and the 1LE and ZL1 are in a fourth class.
That's just dumb.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:10 PM   #187
JST

He doesn't autocross, but for similarly rational reasons my father persuaded himself back in 2011 that he could live with the Mustang V6 6MT.

It was a decision he profoundly regretted, not because it was a bad car (it was fine), but because (as Biggins said) the V8 exists and makes fun noises.

So, now he has a V8.

TL;DR I'd say that I'd slap you if you bought a four cylinder Camaro, but I won't have to because you'll do it yourself.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:40 PM   #188
Biggins
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 22 Tiguan, 11 328i
I don't think he would regret the turbo 4 for autocross at all and think that particular model fits best with the autocross classing as it is today. But, I think the V8 is definitely cooler all around, and... who knows what the autocross classes will look like in a couple years?

I'm also not sure about resale on the turbo vs V8 even with the insanely huge discounts they give.
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 09:47 PM   #189
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggins View Post
I don't think he would regret the turbo 4 for autocross at all and think that particular model fits best with the autocross classing as it is today. But, I think the V8 is definitely cooler all around, and... who knows what the autocross classes will look like in a couple years?

I'm also not sure about resale on the turbo vs V8 even with the insanely huge discounts they give.
Ugh, turbo Camaro. Take the one interesting thing about the Camaro, bin it, and replace it with the extraordinarily boring GM 2.0 liter turbo?

I mean. It might make sense for autocross, but Jesus, the rest of the time it will be like buying a condom with a hole in it.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:39 PM   #190
lip277
The old cranky SOB....

Carmudgeonly Ride: several cars... way too many....
My Mom taught me that if I can't say anything nice about something - to just be quiet. Sometimes I listened to her. I think this time it is appropriate.

<crickets>

1970 2800CS - - 2001 740iL - - 2006 997.1 - - 2012 Escalade
1968 Mustang GT Convertible - - 2003 Ford F250 PSD - - 1985 728i
lip277 is offline   Reply With Quote