carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 11-06-2014, 03:09 PM   #921
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Given that they build these cars based on actual customer orders, and they already did the development work, I'm not sure I understand the point of discontinuing those models. If only 1 person orders it, it still shouldn't really matter to them...
My guess is that it's a combination of things. First, if you don't have the 60D or the P85, chances are that at least some of the intenders will buy either an 85D or a P85D, on which you make more money. How many buy up v. buy down or don't buy at all is a question for the market researchers, but if Zach is correct about the product mix than "buy up" is a pretty good bet. Second, as they continue to ramp up production, reducing combinations makes assembly faster and easier. There is a marginal cost in terms of manufacturing complexity for offering these products.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 03:26 PM   #922
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
My guess is that it's a combination of things. First, if you don't have the 60D or the P85, chances are that at least some of the intenders will buy either an 85D or a P85D, on which you make more money. How many buy up v. buy down or don't buy at all is a question for the market researchers, but if Zach is correct about the product mix than "buy up" is a pretty good bet. Second, as they continue to ramp up production, reducing combinations makes assembly faster and easier. There is a marginal cost in terms of manufacturing complexity for offering these products.

Yeah it's probably more of a marketing decision ; though you'd think they would've made that determination before launching it. Same thing with the marginal cost (if any). Even that reason is odd because regardless they need:
-manufacture "d" body shells
-manufacture rwd body shells
-manufacture 60 drivetrains
-manufacture 85 drivetrains
-manufacture 85+ drivetrains

Putting those various combos together shouldn't cost any more or less.

I know with traditional automakers, low demand can be a factor nevayse they don't want models clogging up dealer lots but teaks doesn't have that issue.

Perhaps there are safety regs that come into play (not sure if every combo of body style and drivetrain has to be tested separately).
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 03:57 PM   #923
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Yeah it's probably more of a marketing decision ; though you'd think they would've made that determination before launching it. Same thing with the marginal cost (if any). Even that reason is odd because regardless they need:
-manufacture "d" body shells
-manufacture rwd body shells
-manufacture 60 drivetrains
-manufacture 85 drivetrains
-manufacture 85+ drivetrains

Putting those various combos together shouldn't cost any more or less.

I know with traditional automakers, low demand can be a factor nevayse they don't want models clogging up dealer lots but teaks doesn't have that issue.

Perhaps there are safety regs that come into play (not sure if every combo of body style and drivetrain has to be tested separately).

Tesla's version of market research appears to be "Announce product. See if anyone buys it. If not, cancel product before delivery."
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 07:15 PM   #924
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach View Post
I've heard most of the Model S's sold are P85+.

Edit: maybe it was that most were P85 (+ and non+). I can't remember.

Edit #2: looking back, it appears that average selling price per Model S was ~$109K not too long ago.

P85+ are pretty rare. The mix of P85 and S85s are about even, 60s are fairly rare also.

We did a Tesla club drive a couple weeks ago. Out of the group of 19 cars, there were only 2 60s... There were a couple P85+ and a couple P85s. The rest were s85s
Old 11-06-2014, 09:48 PM   #925
zach
swinging for the fences

Carmudgeonly Ride: 987, X7 M60i, e36 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
P85+ are pretty rare. The mix of P85 and S85s are about even, 60s are fairly rare also.

We did a Tesla club drive a couple weeks ago. Out of the group of 19 cars, there were only 2 60s... There were a couple P85+ and a couple P85s. The rest were s85s
That may be true in your area, but Tesla has sold more P85s than anything else. I was just in SF where 9/10 Teslas I saw (and I saw dozens) were P85+
zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 09:10 AM   #926
Theo
Crazy Old Man

Carmudgeonly Ride: M2C Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach View Post
I was just in SF where 9/10 Teslas I saw (and I saw dozens) were P85+
Yes they are the new BMW's of this area. All over the place.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:24 AM   #927
robg
Carmudgeon

Tesla Model S waffling

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post

Makes sense. I think once you get to a certain price level (90k?) you start having customers who can afford almost any car(s) they want. So it's really no big deal for them to pay 120k for a loaded top of the line version vs a regular s85. They want to know that they have "the best". Porsche is very adept at appealing to that segment
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 12:03 PM   #928
GimpyMcFarlan
Confused

Carmudgeonly Ride: 2013 X3 Gray/Mojave
Excited to see this being built just 5 miles from home...
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416243817.968870.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	286.8 KB
ID:	9769
Old 11-17-2014, 12:04 PM   #929
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
That's a lot of snow!
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 10:39 PM   #930
kognito
older fart than ZBB

OK, I'm impressed.

There is a grey S 85 that I see often around my area. Today I found him parked at a red light. He was in the front of the left lane, I pulled up to him in the empty right lane. (I was in the S4) When the light turned green, it was on. I was sure he would out accelerate me, but the S4 did an admiral job. We both left all the other cars way behind us.

But, the S4 does sound much better!