carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 03-13-2024, 09:49 AM   #5871
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Porsche will let you disable ASS in individual (and it’s disabled by default in Sport and Sport plus), but the car always defaults to normal — you have to select a mode other than that every time you drive the car to defeat ASS.
Exactly this…

Edit: While this is a render it is probably fairly accurate as to what the 992.2 will look like come the reveal early Summer ‘24. It comes as no surprise that the turn signals are apparently moving into the headlight assemblies. We saw this via multiple test mules.

Edit 2: Edit: AutoCar re the 992.2 - “A 48V integrated starter motor in the dual-clutch automatic gearbox will provide electric boosting properties and power for ancillary components.”
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7075.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	854.6 KB
ID:	17090  

Last edited by SCA; 03-13-2024 at 10:11 AM.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 12:41 PM   #5872
SCA
Jaded

Text inquiry with friend that is a Porsche technician at the PCNA shop in Atlanta.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7080.jpeg
Views:	37
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	17093  

Last edited by SCA; 03-13-2024 at 12:59 PM.
Old 03-13-2024, 02:48 PM   #5873
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
Exactly this…

Edit: While this is a render it is probably fairly accurate as to what the 992.2 will look like come the reveal early Summer ‘24. It comes as no surprise that the turn signals are apparently moving into the headlight assemblies. We saw this via multiple test mules.

Edit 2: Edit: AutoCar re the 992.2 - “A 48V integrated starter motor in the dual-clutch automatic gearbox will provide electric boosting properties and power for ancillary components.”
The new front slats seem different for the sake of being different. So whatever.

While the 48V is progress, being wedded to PDK is off putting

lemming is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 06:23 PM   #5874
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
The new front slats seem different for the sake of being different. So whatever.

While the 48V is progress, being wedded to PDK is off putting
I'm remainining optimistic (perhaps against all odds) that they'll find a way to continue to offer a manual on atleast some of the non GT3 models. It's not impossible atleast when it comes to mild hybrids. Or, they could just ditch the mild hybrid stuff when you opt for a manual. Of course, I highly doubt we'll see a manual on the "big" hybrid but then again the current Turbo models are PDK only anyway. I think it would be foolish of them to get rid of manuals entirely on their core lineup and I think they know what. That being said, I'm sure they'll come up with new and devious ways to ensure those who want them have to "pay to play"
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 06:42 PM   #5875
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
This might be more of a backroom question....but the people who are spending 100k+ plus on a new Porsche how to you consider your expenditure on it? As in
money is basically gone or you looking at a place that you are parking your money for minimal returns/losses? Hope my question makes sense
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 06:56 PM   #5876
SCA
Jaded

New 992.2 spy pics and with very little camouflage.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7088.jpeg
Views:	34
Size:	1.87 MB
ID:	17094  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7089.jpeg
Views:	35
Size:	1.81 MB
ID:	17095  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7090.jpeg
Views:	37
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	17096  
Old 03-13-2024, 07:01 PM   #5877
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
I'm remainining optimistic (perhaps against all odds) that they'll find a way to continue to offer a manual on atleast some of the non GT3 models. It's not impossible atleast when it comes to mild hybrids. Or, they could just ditch the mild hybrid stuff when you opt for a manual. Of course, I highly doubt we'll see a manual on the "big" hybrid but then again the current Turbo models are PDK only anyway. I think it would be foolish of them to get rid of manuals entirely on their core lineup and I think they know what. That being said, I'm sure they'll come up with new and devious ways to ensure those who want them have to "pay to play"
We have to look at BMW as they have currently ditched the manual from everything that is 48V, non-M. It is currently unknown if the G29 Z4 with a manual is 48v. I do not believe the press embargo for the manual Z4 expires for a few more weeks.

Keep in mind that every 992.2 variant with a different transmission, PDK or manual has to be certified and crash tested. That equals big bucks.

Edit: Just as I was submitting the above I got a notification from Automotive News re Porsche. I screenshotted the bottom portion of the article.

Edit 2:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
This might be more of a backroom question....but the people who are spending 100k+ plus on a new Porsche how to you consider your expenditure on it? As in money is basically gone or you looking at a place that you are parking your money for minimal returns/losses? Hope my question makes sense
Poof… The money is gone.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7091.jpeg
Views:	35
Size:	430.6 KB
ID:	17098  

Last edited by SCA; 03-13-2024 at 07:13 PM.
Old 03-13-2024, 07:18 PM   #5878
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
This might be more of a backroom question....but the people who are spending 100k+ plus on a new Porsche how to you consider your expenditure on it? As in
money is basically gone or you looking at a place that you are parking your money for minimal returns/losses? Hope my question makes sense
Maybe like gold bars.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 07:33 PM   #5879
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post

Edit 2:

Poof… The money is gone.
I’m not sure but I would think you’re kidding, cars have equity. Obviously they are not investments being they lose money but in the end the money is never gone.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 07:46 PM   #5880
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I’m not sure but I would think you’re kidding, cars have equity. Obviously they are not investments being they lose money but in the end the money is never gone.
The money is gone in my mind. A car is a depreciating asset, that is generally unavoidable. In fact, automobiles are the only large ticket items that I purchase that do so.