carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 02-22-2018, 12:06 PM   #41
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
I think that STI engine is as old as my 4runner engine Does not have the reliability of it though as far as I have heard.
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:13 PM   #42
Biggins
Crotchety

Carmudgeonly Ride: 22 Tiguan, 11 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
The 86 (aka BRZ) was interesting. i liked the car quite a bit, but given the short test drive I'm not sure what it would be like to own. I knew it would have no torque but what surprised me was how much noise the engine made while you're still not going anywhere. But I really liked the size and feel of the car, the shifter (better than the STI). Brakes were mediocre, but the BRZ performance package fixes that. I felt right at home in it and could see enjoying beating the crap out of one. I'm not so sure if I'd learn to love that engine though.
Most of what you described is normal including the noisy engine. I put a different exhaust on mine to drown out the noise tube that funnels noise into the cabin. I'm surprised you mention the brakes were mediocre. I do have some fancy Ferodo pads now, but I've never thought that the brakes were bad... actually the opposite.

I still love my FR-S and it can function as an everyday car, but I still feel that it works better as a "2nd" car.
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 02:36 PM   #43
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_DML View Post
I think that STI engine is as old as my 4runner engine Does not have the reliability of it though as far as I have heard.
Yeah it's like a million years old and still isn't known for being solidly reliable. And gets terrible mileage. Bah
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 04:27 PM   #44
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Yeah it's like a million years old and still isn't known for being solidly reliable. And gets terrible mileage. Bah
It's hard to imagine you happy with any of those cars, given your current fleet. If you were looking at trucks, perhaps.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 04:42 PM   #45
rumatt
Mugwump

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
It's hard to imagine you happy with any of those cars, given your current fleet. If you were looking at trucks, perhaps.
Yeah, I agree. I'm mostly just playing around driving a bunch of stuff at this point.

The Cayman has been jailed in the garage because the roads have a persistent layer of salt up here. Every time it warms up and then refreezes they put salt down to prevent sheet ice. I'm just itching to drive something fun on these broken up, salt covered roads.

But part of me does feel like the roads I live on are more rally car than a P-car. I can catch air on at least 2 different spots of my daily commute if I want to. JST, how does the golf do on jumps?

Last edited by rumatt; 02-22-2018 at 05:24 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 05:44 PM   #46
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Yeah, I agree. I'm mostly just playing around driving a bunch of stuff at this point.

The Cayman has been jailed in the garage because the roads have a persistent layer of salt up here. Every time it warms up and then refreezes they put salt down to prevent sheet ice. I'm just itching to drive something fun on these broken up, salt covered roads.

But part of me does feel like the roads I live on are more rally car than a P-car. I can catch air on at least 2 different spots of my daily commute if I want to. JST, how does the golf do on jumps?

M2. Or better yet, M240 with adjustable suspension.
Old 02-22-2018, 05:55 PM   #47
rumatt
Mugwump

If they made the 240xi in a manual I'd probably get one and make it my winter car to replace the wagon.
Old 02-22-2018, 06:10 PM   #48
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
If they made the 240xi in a manual I'd probably get one and make it my winter car to replace the wagon.
Yep. Unfortunately, no dice on that. M240 stick with winter tires and LSD might still not be enough for your purposes.
Old 03-14-2018, 09:24 PM   #49
rumatt
Mugwump

After work I drove a Tacoma, Canyon, and Ridgeline.

Tacoma: Terrible. The seat and seating position are just ridiculously bad. This truck is made for people 5' tall. I can't believe they put such shit-box seats in a 30-40k truck, and I can't believe so many people buy them. The saleswoman tried to get me to drive a 4runner because it has better seats. I sat in them and they were indeed wonderful compared to the tacoma.

Canyon - I really like these to the point I was almost ready to hear what kind of numbers she could do for me. Apparently it's pretty easy to get $4k or more off MSRP. Two things are blocking me. 1) seats are mediocre at best. 2) She took me on a long test drive part of which was on a wet, bumpy, slippery dirt road. While in 2WD driving straight and accelerating gently, the locker would sometimes engage and the rear would immediately kick out sideways. While fun, it also illustrates the gross mismatch between the technology and what 99% of the people use it for. (99.99%?) It feels like 1970's technolgoy. I suppose dropping it into 4wd would fix things (I didn't have time to go back over the road) but still, it seems like the wrong diff unless you're actually off-roading. And even the off-roaders prefer a switch to avoid the jerking when they kick in.

Ridgeline It's really incredible what Honda created here. This thing drives like a car, and has nearly the utility specs of the other compact trucks. It's also huge inside - it's almost as wide as a full-size truck. But somehow it was boring as f*ck. Zero passion or excitement. And it's butt-ugly too. I want to want it, but I just can't get excited about owning one, no matter how illogical that is.

Last edited by rumatt; 03-14-2018 at 09:38 PM.
Old 03-15-2018, 12:14 AM   #50
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
After work I drove a Tacoma, Canyon, and Ridgeline.

Tacoma: Terrible. The seat and seating position are just ridiculously bad. This truck is made for people 5' tall. I can't believe they put such shit-box seats in a 30-40k truck, and I can't believe so many people buy them. The saleswoman tried to get me to drive a 4runner because it has better seats. I sat in them and they were indeed wonderful compared to the tacoma.

Canyon - I really like these to the point I was almost ready to hear what kind of numbers she could do for me. Apparently it's pretty easy to get $4k or more off MSRP. Two things are blocking me. 1) seats are mediocre at best. 2) She took me on a long test drive part of which was on a wet, bumpy, slippery dirt road. While in 2WD driving straight and accelerating gently, the locker would sometimes engage and the rear would immediately kick out sideways. While fun, it also illustrates the gross mismatch between the technology and what 99% of the people use it for. (99.99%?) It feels like 1970's technolgoy. I suppose dropping it into 4wd would fix things (I didn't have time to go back over the road) but still, it seems like the wrong diff unless you're actually off-roading. And even the off-roaders prefer a switch to avoid the jerking when they kick in.

Ridgeline It's really incredible what Honda created here. This thing drives like a car, and has nearly the utility specs of the other compact trucks. It's also huge inside - it's almost as wide as a full-size truck. But somehow it was boring as f*ck. Zero passion or excitement. And it's butt-ugly too. I want to want it, but I just can't get excited about owning one, no matter how illogical that is.
You should buy a Cayman instead.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote