carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 10-07-2018, 11:30 PM   #791
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
That's awesome that you're loving the car.

What are your thoughts on the brakes? And the performance upgrade package?

I'm still a little baffled how I convinced myself to pay $5k for brakes I don't need and wheels I don't want. It must be that Tesla math.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 11:15 AM   #792
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumatt View Post
That's awesome that you're loving the car.

What are your thoughts on the brakes? And the performance upgrade package?

I'm still a little baffled how I convinced myself to pay $5k for brakes I don't need and wheels I don't want. It must be that Tesla math.
I haven't driven one without it, so it's sort of hard to know. As for the brakes, I mean...they're pretty good, but in around the town driving I mostly don't even use them, so I'm not sure I'd notice the difference. They are red, though, which is nice.

$5K is probably silly, but it's a pretty small marginal cost and one I knew I'd regret later, especially since the 18" wheels look so odd. If I could get a Performance with 19s I'd probably have gone that route, but you can't.
JST is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 11:30 AM   #793
rumatt
Mugwump

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
They are red, though, which is nice.

Quote:
$5K is probably silly, but it's a pretty small marginal cost
Tesla math!
Old 10-08-2018, 10:28 PM   #794
robg
Carmudgeon

Tesla Model ≡ Thread

There’s definitely an “it” factor about the model 3 that I haven’t felt with bmw since the e46 days (and probably a similar number of quirks / reliability questions for that matter).

If you compare spec for spec, you’ll find that the model 3 is similar or cheaper to a comparable 3 series. I see a lot of model 3s around now and the panel gaps /paint seem to be in the ballpark of bmw (though maybe not Audi).

From my perspective, The main things you’d lose out on when comparing an m3 would be:
1. Nappa leather (including instrument panel and doors if you desire)
2. HUD, surround camera view
3. Lack of some nice to have switches /dials
4. No carbon ceramic option
5. No adaptive suspension (atkeast yet)
6. Moonroof doesn’t open

Of those, the only one Im bothered by is the lack of a real leather option. No matter how soft or durable, fake leather always makes me sweat. An Alcantara seat option similar to what Audi offers would also be preferable. Lack of hud or surround camera would be a close second.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 10:50 PM   #795
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
There’s definitely an “it” factor about the model 3 that I haven’t felt with bmw since the e46 days (and probably a similar number of quirks / reliability questions for that matter).

If you compare spec for spec, you’ll find that the model 3 is similar or cheaper to a comparable 3 series. I see a lot of model 3s around now and the panel gaps /paint seem to be in the ballpark of bmw (though maybe not Audi).

From my perspective, The main things you’d lose out on when comparing an m3 would be:
1. Nappa leather (including instrument panel and doors if you desire)
2. HUD, surround camera view
3. Lack of some nice to have switches /dials
4. No carbon ceramic option
5. No adaptive suspension (atkeast yet)
6. Moonroof doesn’t open

Of those, the only one Im bothered by is the lack of a real leather option. No matter how soft or durable, fake leather always makes me sweat. An Alcantara seat option similar to what Audi offers would also be preferable. Lack of hud or surround camera would be a close second.
The fake leather doesn't bother me. It's as nice or nice (and breathes as well as) the real leather that was in my '14 Model S (though the later ones were nicer). It's a little weird feeling--not quite like neoprene but not quite like leather, either. But it doesn't feel like the tough-as-nails vinyl that BMW used/uses. The material on the steering wheel is particularly good--I wouldn't know that it's not leather unless you told me.

I'm slightly bugged by the fact that the roof doesn't open. It would be really, really nice if it did.

I don't really need a HUD, though the other thing I miss from my Model S is the secondary nav screen in front of the steering wheel.

Surround cameras are something that may well come in an OTA update. The hardware is there.
JST is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 12:04 AM   #796
rumatt
Mugwump

The fact that the list of things it's missing relative to BMW is all fringe / gimmicky things is telling.

I will enjoy watching Tesla put a nice dent in BMW sales.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:35 PM   #797
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
I heard back from insurance today…

The car is repairable. Initial estimate is just under $13k, which is surprising low to me. Looking through the estimate, I see that they completely missed the damage to the wheel (one of the pics I have shows a 6-8 inch gouge near the tire). I also asked if the battery pack can be inspected -- I don't want any risk of a ruptured cell that causes a future fire...

Body shop hours adds up to about 16 days of work. Plus time to order/receive parts, the car is easily in the shop for at least a month.

I've asked about how to get a diminished value estimate that I can submit against the other insurance. Depending on how that comes out, I'll decide if I just order a replacement and trade this in to Tesla (or Carmax). I really don't want a repaired car with the type of damage it took...
Old 10-09-2018, 04:20 PM   #798
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
I heard back from insurance today…

The car is repairable. Initial estimate is just under $13k, which is surprising low to me. Looking through the estimate, I see that they completely missed the damage to the wheel (one of the pics I have shows a 6-8 inch gouge near the tire). I also asked if the battery pack can be inspected -- I don't want any risk of a ruptured cell that causes a future fire...

Body shop hours adds up to about 16 days of work. Plus time to order/receive parts, the car is easily in the shop for at least a month.

I've asked about how to get a diminished value estimate that I can submit against the other insurance. Depending on how that comes out, I'll decide if I just order a replacement and trade this in to Tesla (or Carmax). I really don't want a repaired car with the type of damage it took...
They always find more damage once the car starts to come apart. I wouldn't be surprised to see the price tag double. It seems to be a repair shop gambit when they have to deal with insurance companies.

Last edited by wdc330i; 10-09-2018 at 05:09 PM.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 05:06 PM   #799
Alan
Carmudgeon

Very surprised to hear the damage is only $13k ... like Wdc said once they take it apart I’m sure they are going to find more damage.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:14 PM   #800
rumatt
Mugwump

Ugh, sorry man. You seem to be handling this reasonably well.

The battery alone is 10K+ right?

That's still a long way from $65k though.