carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Keepin' it local

Old 10-16-2003, 01:53 AM   #1
mquetel
Realist

Puget Sound chapter members, anyone done the novice school?

The Puget Sound chapter of the BMWCCA is holding a novice school at the Bremerton Raceway next weekend (10/26). I don't think I can work it due to short time frame and no helmet but, I'm curious if anyone has attended this event and what their impressions were. I'm hoping to make it in the spring.
mquetel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 03:08 AM   #2
Roadstergal
Butting in.

I did it. It's quite fun. Good venue to learn basic car control skills. If I could do it every month, I would - it would probably be good for me!

There is a driving event that the BC BMW club holds up at Boundary Bay, and I found that to be a good event - a lot like the Puget Sound event, but a smaller group. Worth checking out, if you want to drive.

You can always borrow a helmet from another member. On the off chance you're a small aranoid:, you can borrow mine.
Old 10-16-2003, 09:50 AM   #3
mquetel
Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadstergal
There is a driving event that the BC BMW club holds up at Boundary Bay, and I found that to be a good event - a lot like the Puget Sound event, but a smaller group. Worth checking out, if you want to drive.

You can always borrow a helmet from another member. On the off chance you're a small aranoid:, you can borrow mine.
Smaller would be better, in my thinking. I'll have to look up some add'l info on that... would love to have an excuse to go to BC. :smile:

As for the helmet, thanks for the offer but I likely need a L or XL. Actually, I do need to locate a helmet and see if I will even fit in the car with it on. I'm 6'2" and don't really have a ton of clearance as it is.
Old 10-16-2003, 06:17 PM   #4
Masskrug
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by mquetel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadstergal

Smaller would be better, in my thinking. I'll have to look up some add'l info on that... would love to have an excuse to go to BC. :smile:

As for the helmet, thanks for the offer but I likely need a L or XL. Actually, I do need to locate a helmet and see if I will even fit in the car with it on. I'm 6'2" and don't really have a ton of clearance as it is.
Vancouver is cool.

Check out:
1. Seafood
2. Clubs
3. Hot Canadian chicks
4. Umm...herbs...
5. eh...what was I talking about again?
Masskrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2003, 10:57 PM   #5
mquetel
Realist

Re: Puget Sound chapter members, anyone done the novice scho

Quote:
Originally Posted by mquetel
The Puget Sound chapter of the BMWCCA is holding a novice school at the Bremerton Raceway next weekend (10/26). I don't think I can work it due to short time frame and no helmet but, I'm curious if anyone has attended this event and what their impressions were. I'm hoping to make it in the spring.
I think I am going to go to this... wife gave me a pass. aranoid:

Also, they have loaner helmets!
Old 10-16-2003, 11:13 PM   #6
Doug

Mquetel,
I'm on the board of directors of the puget sound club and have instructed with them. The Bremerton school is a very good one..especially for $75
Old 10-16-2003, 11:26 PM   #7
mquetel
Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerNut
Mquetel,
I'm on the board of directors of the puget sound club and have instructed with them. The Bremerton school is a very good one..especially for $75
I appreciate the recommendation and I am really looking forward to getting some knowledgable instruction.
Old 10-26-2003, 10:42 PM   #8
mquetel
Realist

Did the novice school today... what an incredible blast!! I had so much fun learning what to do (and not to do aranoid: ) out there on the track (and road). Big kudos to the Puget Sound chapter for putting on a really fun, really informative and well organized event. It was an amazing value and I will definitely be looking towards future events.

I was pleasantly surprised by the student to instructor ratio of what seemed like about 2.5 to 1. Everyone was really enthusiastic and informative... again it was just about the most fun you can have legally!

My car is completely covered in crud from the skid pad, the wheels are filthy with brake dust and I have a silly-ass grin that is reminiscent of the day I took delivery of my car. What an addictive sport.
Old 10-27-2003, 09:04 AM   #9
Doug

We do our utmost to keep the ratio at 2/1 if at all possible. I'll pass on the complement.