carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 12-11-2013, 01:53 PM   #661
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
I stopped by Tesla's new service center in Scottsdale yesterday. Needed them to check the alignment -- the car is veering slightly right when the steering wheel is held straight. The center manager verified on a quick drive and I scheduled an appointment for early Jan.

Interestingly, while driving the car he mentioned that they'll need to replace the drive unit (i.e. the motor...) since mine is making a whine sound that indicates a defect (and I hadn't really noticed it -- I thought it was a normal sound and its not really that loud). Its not urgent -- and he recommended waiting a couple months to do it during the annual service in another ~4k miles. Apparently Tesla is getting ready to put the 3rd gen version of the unit into production that will correct the defect -- so waiting a couple months will make sure I get the newest.

Additionally, the 2nd AZ Supercharger is confirmed under construction in Flagstaff and someone posted pics. Right at the interchange between I-40 and I-17. Based on the pics, it should be complete in the next 2 weeks. Looks like we'll be taking the Tesla to the Grand Canyon in Feb!
Old 12-11-2013, 03:16 PM   #662
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBB View Post
I stopped by Tesla's new service center in Scottsdale yesterday. Needed them to check the alignment -- the car is veering slightly right when the steering wheel is held straight. The center manager verified on a quick drive and I scheduled an appointment for early Jan.

Interestingly, while driving the car he mentioned that they'll need to replace the drive unit (i.e. the motor...) since mine is making a whine sound that indicates a defect (and I hadn't really noticed it -- I thought it was a normal sound and its not really that loud). Its not urgent -- and he recommended waiting a couple months to do it during the annual service in another ~4k miles. Apparently Tesla is getting ready to put the 3rd gen version of the unit into production that will correct the defect -- so waiting a couple months will make sure I get the newest.

Additionally, the 2nd AZ Supercharger is confirmed under construction in Flagstaff and someone posted pics. Right at the interchange between I-40 and I-17. Based on the pics, it should be complete in the next 2 weeks. Looks like we'll be taking the Tesla to the Grand Canyon in Feb!
Sounds like the edmunds long termer also had an issue with going out of alignment (though it was w/ the rear supsension):
http://www.edmunds.com/tesla/model-s...alignment.html
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:33 PM   #663
ZBB
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Sounds like the edmunds long termer also had an issue with going out of alignment (though it was w/ the rear supsension):
http://www.edmunds.com/tesla/model-s...alignment.html
That particular issue appears to mostly impact the P85s, especially with 21s. Theory is that the huge amount of torque on the P85s is impacting the rear suspension -- published at 443 lb-ft (and 416 hp), but at least one dyno registered over 800 ft/lb

My car is a "lowly" S60 -- which has a torque rating of 317 lb-ft (and 302 hp). When I had it in about 2 months ago, they measured tread depth on all tires and all were even, so I'm pretty sure my car doesn't have the issue Edmunds reported.

This is my 2nd alignment issue -- the first was done a week after delivery...
Old 12-11-2013, 04:37 PM   #664
TD
Founder emeritus

That's what we test drove - the P85+ with 21s and the adjustable suspension.

It's funny how quick you get to the 85 mph speed limiter they have set on the demo cars.
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:45 PM   #665
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD View Post
That's what we test drove - the P85+ with 21s and the adjustable suspension.

It's funny how quick you get to the 85 mph speed limiter they have set on the demo cars.
The S85 doesn't launch as hard, though I didn't really push it given the shit state of the roads today. But it does give you that same shove in the back that almost knocks the wind out of you.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:53 PM   #666
ZBB
Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
The S85 doesn't launch as hard, though I didn't really push it given the shit state of the roads today. But it does give you that same shove in the back that almost knocks the wind out of you.
I've driven P85s a couple of times (test drive, had one for a loaner). They are honestly scary fast. When I had the loaner, I enjoyed the extra acceleration, but it really made the car feel much more squirrely, and I had to be careful applying power on turns. Felt much more comfortable when I got back in my car, and JST's comment about having the same shove is true -- its there...
Old 12-11-2013, 05:04 PM   #667
TD
Founder emeritus

Damn both of you...

In another tab as I type this, I've configured my lowest acceptable level of options on a Model S. And I'm doing the math on if I were to sell both the A4 and the M3 and put that cash down...

The result is actually not that absurd. It's just not prudent.

Like I said, damn you both.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Model S.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	9117  
TD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:05 PM   #668
JST

Quote:
Damn both of you...

In another tab as I type this, I've configured my lowest acceptable level of options on a Model S. And I'm doing the math on if I were to sell both the A4 and the M3 and put that cash down...

I report. You decide.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:30 PM   #669
ZBB
Relic

Quote:
Damn both of you...

That's pretty close to my config...

Would you like me to send over my spreadsheet? It apparently helped JST with his decision
Old 01-05-2014, 10:21 PM   #670
ZBB
Relic

Here's a blog on a Model S coast-to-coast road trip a couple months ago...

http://thefrunkismysuitcase.wordpres...venture-begin/