carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 01-16-2018, 10:09 PM   #1
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
Make sure you change the serpentine belt. The N5x motors have a charming failure mode where they suck the belt into the engine through the crank seal.
Great.

Edit:
Couldn't figure out how this would even be possible until I found a video explaining that the crank balancer/pulley relationship is basically backwards from every other GD engine ever. WTF
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:43 PM   #2
Alan
Carmudgeon

Congrats I had an X3 loaner and I REALLY liked it !! Great write up but what the heck ... no pics ???

Also your making me feel old with the whole 3 yr old talk my oldest is turning 20 and my youngest is 13 1/2 ... damn I知 getting old
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:58 PM   #3
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF View Post
Congrats I had an X3 loaner and I REALLY liked it !! Great write up but what the heck ... no pics ???

Also your making me feel old with the whole 3 yr old talk my oldest is turning 20 and my youngest is 13 1/2 ... damn I知 getting old
Sorry- haven't had a chance yet (the whole 3 year old thing).

Don't feel too bad. I had a late start w/ kids. While you're enjoying retirement I'll be dealing w/ a teenager.

Did you have a 28 or 35 loaner?
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:00 PM   #4
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
Sorry- haven't had a chance yet (the whole 3 year old thing).

Don't feel too bad. I had a late start w/ kids. While you're enjoying retirement I'll be dealing w/ a teenager.

Did you have a 28 or 35 loaner?
I値l be there for you when you池e going through it (the teenager part and man is that fun )

I had the 2.8 and really thought it was a great car and could totally see living with it as my everyday car (I知 pretty sure I posted a pic of the car here) ... I would love to have driven the 3.5 because that must bring a great car to a whole new level !!

Enjoy and i知 looking forward to seeing some pics ... what color combo did you get ?
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 07:10 PM   #5
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
Ours was fine until the warranty ran out. Heh

The last ~18 months:
Suspension computer
Water pump/thermostat
(3) LED Tailights
(2) window regulators
Water leak from sunroof drains
gas door wouldn't "unlock"
glove compartment trim falling off
oil filter housing gasket leak

This is on a 2012 with under 50k miles.
Ugh- that sounds like "best of" album from BMW. All of the classics are there. Weird about the LED taillights- guessing that must've been a short from a leak. Thought that window regulator issues had been largely put to rest w/ the e46/39.

Mine is only a 2 year lease so I doubt I'll get to that point.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:27 PM   #6
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
With how badly the newer BMWs drive, I don't see a reason to buy them anymore. It used to be the driving experience was so much better than anything else it made up for the maintenance headache. Now that they offer as much engagement as a Lexus, might as well just buy a Lexus and get something that's actually reliable.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 03:45 PM   #7
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
With how badly the newer BMWs drive, I don't see a reason to buy them anymore. It used to be the driving experience was so much better than anything else it made up for the maintenance headache. Now that they offer as much engagement as a Lexus, might as well just buy a Lexus and get something that's actually reliable.
Sadly, they are pretty much the game for suv's with any oomph at their price point. I've been virtual-shopping Macans and the AMG GLC, but haven't figured out how to pay for them yet.

And, yeah, no way:

bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 03:58 PM   #8
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
congrats
Jeff_DML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 04:22 PM   #9
robg
Carmudgeon

Picked up my new X3 - initial impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
Sadly, they are pretty much the game for suv's with any oomph at their price point. I've been virtual-shopping Macans and the AMG GLC, but haven't figured out how to pay for them yet.

And, yeah, no way:

Right - you have to pay a lot more to get a meaningful improvement in performance / driving engagement.

Even in its last year of production, the x3 (in 35i form) makes a compelling case for itself.

And yeah,Lexi are too ugly I consider. Personally I壇 lease any of these cars. If buying, I壇 go for something older with less electronics.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:57 PM   #10
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
I mean, I'd never buy them. Their commercials are sickening enough that I couldn't ever give them money.

But I firmly believe for 99% of people it's the right product.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote