carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 02-22-2022, 08:58 PM   #31
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
Interesting, had a 3G sunset warning on a Tesla. My mom is visiting and I moved cars around on Saturday to plug her Model 3 in. She had a software update notification on the screen, and when I cancelled it (I figured I’d ask her before installing…), a warning came up that the update included a cellular connectivity update that needed to be installed before today or the car would have connectivity issues. After I plugged it in, I went ahead and installed it…

I hadn’t seen that in either my wife’s or my cars, so I’m guessing it came up when I canceled it with only 3 days to go…
Old 02-23-2022, 06:09 AM   #32
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
The 3g box in the 991 is "behind the dash". Based on this picture of the service, I think I'll skip the fix when I pull my car out of storage unless pcm is completely non functional.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	911_vts_installation_small_4152e582ec95ca76fbf13f72ba8936cb79ca1c11.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	14327  
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 09:29 AM   #33
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
The 3g box in the 991 is "behind the dash". Based on this picture of the service, I think I'll skip the fix when I pull my car out of storage unless pcm is completely non functional.
LOL that is...not good design.

I mean, the fact that 3G was a temporally limited technology wasn't exactly a secret. It boggles my mind that OEMs didn't have a better upgrade path in mind, ESPECIALLY since we already went through this once before during the analog shutdown (which bricked all of the first gen OnStar systems).

I get that there are complexities and that it might not be possible to upgrade the commbox, just given the technology of the in car systems it's interfacing with. But JFC why would you physically bury the thing that deep? You can put it basically anywhere (BMW puts it in the trunk).
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 07:13 PM   #34
ZBB
Relic

Carmudgeonly Ride: A very fast golf cart
That is just dumb. I get removing something like the glovebox to get to it if it is under the dash and behind the center console. But dropping a couple of panels and/or glovebox should take at most 5 min.

I remember when I put Bluetooth into my 987… I had to pull the head unit out, which required taking a couple trim panels off. I then had to find a place to add some additional electronics boxes behind the unit (it was tight, but there were some pockets that I was able to get things). Then I removed it before selling — probably took 30 min total…
Old 02-23-2022, 07:16 PM   #35
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
I was able to sign up for the base Connected Drive services this afternoon. TBD whether they will properly load when I start up the 2 tomorrow and load them through iDrive.

But, if there is some free upgrade available to existing customers, I want that in place before I take it in next month for its annual service.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 02:32 PM   #36
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
LOL that is...not good design.

I mean, the fact that 3G was a temporally limited technology wasn't exactly a secret. It boggles my mind that OEMs didn't have a better upgrade path in mind, ESPECIALLY since we already went through this once before during the analog shutdown (which bricked all of the first gen OnStar systems).

I get that there are complexities and that it might not be possible to upgrade the commbox, just given the technology of the in car systems it's interfacing with. But JFC why would you physically bury the thing that deep? You can put it basically anywhere (BMW puts it in the trunk).
+1

I appreciate that space is going to be at a premium in a 911 but, yeah, there has to be a better way.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 05:26 PM   #37
SCA
Jaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
+1

I appreciate that space is going to be at a premium in a 911 but, yeah, there has to be a better way.
There has got to be enough room somewhere in the frunk area to place the TCU or whatever Porsche calls it?
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2022, 08:56 PM   #38
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post
There has got to be enough room somewhere in the frunk area to place the TCU or whatever Porsche calls it?
Was trying to give them the benefit of the doubt but...yeah you'd think.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote