carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk

Old 05-28-2020, 04:11 PM   #41
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Yeah, there seem to be some weird linking dupes. I agree on the Turbos being too expensive, and too close to new X3 territory. And I really don't want 21-inch wheels on anything. Sigh.

The goal right now is to add and keep the 2. But it would be nice if the SUV were decent enough I could convince myself to let the 2 go.

I might well end up back in the DC/Maryland area--but not for four years, minimum. But everyone here keeps forgetting Atlanta is in the piedmont of the Blue Ridge mountains--and there are many hilly areas that get snow/bad weather here. And it rains ALL the time, with lots of street flooding. It's not so fun to plow through that in the 2...

So, a higher, more practical, foul weather vehicle would be very welcome. Extra points if I don't hate to drive it.

This is the other Turbo, if the link works properly. But they are solidly in new X3 4.0 territory: https://www.porscheatlantaperimeter....af2a54hlb62120
what's your budget / target outlay if you keep the 2 vs not keeping the 2?

Have you happened to check insurance costs of 2 cars vs 1? I was very surprised how much adding cars costs even when you have more cars than drivers. Will your son be on your policy or your ex's?
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 04:19 PM   #42
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
Ah, thank you, Alan. I really appreciate that. The car is here now. Bought by my local dealer...
Oh I got it, it was from here, if you see anything near me I have no problem checking it out.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 04:40 PM   #43
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
what's your budget / target outlay if you keep the 2 vs not keeping the 2?

Have you happened to check insurance costs of 2 cars vs 1? I was very surprised how much adding cars costs even when you have more cars than drivers. Will your son be on your policy or your ex's?
All very good questions. Maybe you and I should chat offline about how you handle that. Son, mercifully, is just 14, but I know time will fly.

I have considered insurance. And the 2 is off maintenance this year and off warranty next. So, yes, lots of carrying costs just to add convenience. That's why the 2 is VERY vulnerable to going. But it is a precious source of joy these days, so I'm not ready yet.

Budget is flexible. Whatever I think I can spare in retirement. Wish I had a crystal ball about the economy and job security...But then there's the YOLO philosophy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Oh I got it, it was from here, if you see anything near me I have no problem checking it out.
Thank you Alan, You're a mensch!
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 04:52 PM   #44
SARAFIL
I like BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: X5 M50 / M550
63k for a ~3 year old Macan seems steep. It’s probably worth that amount, I just can’t bring myself to spend that much for that. In that segment, the lease deals are still pretty strong on the X3. Here is a sample X3 M40 deal from one of the leasehakr brokers:

https://leasehackr.com/calculator?ma...Tax_radio=true

Not sure how you’d acquire hypothetical Macan (cash or finance) but the idea of a 500-600 lease payment on new X3 seems more attractive to me vs. finance cost or equivalent cash outlay for Macan.
Old 05-28-2020, 05:42 PM   #45
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAFIL View Post
63k for a ~3 year old Macan seems steep. It’s probably worth that amount, I just can’t bring myself to spend that much for that. In that segment, the lease deals are still pretty strong on the X3. Here is a sample X3 M40 deal from one of the leasehakr brokers:

Not sure how you’d acquire hypothetical Macan (cash or finance) but the idea of a 500-600 lease payment on new X3 seems more attractive to me vs. finance cost or equivalent cash outlay for Macan.
I'm actually not inclined to lease, because I may buy a house next spring--I need debt to be low because my income is not fabulous and I want the option of a mortgage at a good rate. I might finance, because I could easily pay it off if /when I need to. Lenders only care about income and debt, not assets.

...My knucklehead son just took off from my house on my bike and rode the 7 miles to my ex's on very busy/dangerous roads. Very much against the rules. It was fun to go yank him back in the convertible. Had to leave the bike at my ex's. She is not there, but at the office. His excuse? "I wanted a soda and you didn't have any." He is so grounded for life. Good times in COVID lockdown with a rambunctious, bored teen--and all summer activities cancelled.
Old 05-28-2020, 07:48 PM   #46
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
I agree with this. FWIW, my CPO Macan Turbo was low to mid 50's at 3-4 years old.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 09:52 PM   #47
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
I agree with this. FWIW, my CPO Macan Turbo was low to mid 50's at 3-4 years old.
Good to know.
Old 05-29-2020, 12:01 PM   #48
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:

+1

For me, the X3 40i would make it very hard to justify a Macan. You're getting Macan turbo levels of performance, more room/practicality, better gas mileage and you can probably pickup ex dealer demo or lightly used one for the cost of a 3 year old Macan. If you did decide to lease, the lease cost could be vastly cheaper than the Macan (i'm afraid to even look at how expensive those must be to lease). ANd I wouldn't be surpised if even buying and running a used Macan for several years would work out to a higher monthly cost than a good deal on a BMW x3 lease. Macan has an arguably sligtly more upscale interior (though I actualy prefer the X3's design and idrive). I suppose arguable better handling - though it's somewhat hobbled by being based on the front heavy Audi MLB platform. But lets be honest- neither are going to really scratch the sports car itch.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 12:17 PM   #49
wdc330i
dogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
+1

For me, the X3 40i would make it very hard to justify a Macan. You're getting Macan turbo levels of performance, more room/practicality, better gas mileage and you can probably pickup ex dealer demo or lightly used one for the cost of a 3 year old Macan. If you did decide to lease, the lease cost could be vastly cheaper than the Macan (i'm afraid to even look at how expensive those must be to lease). ANd I wouldn't be surpised if even buying and running a used Macan for several years would work out to a higher monthly cost than a good deal on a BMW x3 lease. Macan has an arguably sligtly more upscale interior (though I actualy prefer the X3's design and idrive). I suppose arguable better handling - though it's somewhat hobbled by being based on the front heavy Audi MLB platform. But lets be honest- neither are going to really scratch the sports car itch.
True enough. And apparently there is some scary transfer case issue...
Old 05-29-2020, 12:30 PM   #50
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
If you keep the 2er, what about this:
https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-fo...iclePosition=1
or this one with the 'better' engine:
https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-fo...-mini-clubman/

edit: or once again I'll promote this:
https://www.truecar.com/used-cars-fo...k-regal-tourx/
'11 135i Convertible