carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 05-27-2021, 06:43 PM   #1
Alan
Carmudgeon

Cayman issue

The Cayman is a 2019 with 3,400 miles and it has hit its first problem, I made an appointment for June 8th but thought I would run it by the board to see what you think ... it seems from a total stop when I take off I hear a 'clunk' type sound from the front end it seems to be coming from the left side ... it feels like the caliper is sticking and when it releases it makes this noise.

My best way to describe it is like the experience after I wash the Porsches the brakes get that rusted thing happening and then when I drive it the next day the brakes make a clunking noise as the calipers seem to be glued to the rusty brake rotor.

It is not as bad of a clunking feeling but pretty close .... it seems to happen when I first get in the car and the brakes are cold and it happens a few times then stops.

I don't think it is a suspension thing since I never hear it again once everything is warmed up.

Any thoughts ?
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 10:51 AM   #2
Alan
Carmudgeon

So I was on my way in to the dealer this morning and the clunking noise is now much worse ... I am just about to pull into the dealership and it hit me, check the frunk to see if it is my spare tire ... well it was

Cancelled appointment and went home
Old 06-08-2021, 10:55 AM   #3
Josh (PA)
Hello.

Carmudgeonly Ride: '09 X3, '11 328xiT, '11 135i C, '17 c2, '19 X5
At least the service advisor didn't find it for you and there was nothing really wrong w/ the car. It could have been a lot worse.
'11 135i Convertible
'11 328xiT
'09 X3
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 11:11 AM   #4
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
So I was on my way in to the dealer this morning and the clunking noise is now much worse ... I am just about to pull into the dealership and it hit me, check the frunk to see if it is my spare tire ... well it was

Cancelled appointment and went home
What size spare are you carrying? Inflatable 18" or the older 17"? There are ways of securing them.
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 12:23 PM   #5
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
At least the service advisor didn't find it for you and there was nothing really wrong w/ the car. It could have been a lot worse.
Yes I agree, it would suck to have to have someone driving my car around just to find out I’m a dummy who didn’t check the frunk.

While I was there cancelling the appointment I told them I had an Inspection warning that I thought they forgot to reset at the February service, it ends up the car is almost 2 years old and they said I need another service ... it consists of oil change (just done in February), wiper blades, air cleaners changed and brake fluid change ...

I’ll go back eventually to have them do the brake fluid change though it sucks that a car with 3k miles needs this done but they say it’s a time thing not a mileage think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
What size spare are you carrying? Inflatable 18" or the older 17"? There are ways of securing them.
It is inflatable though I am not sure of the size, I got it at Suncoast (see link below) how do you suggest I secure it ? Usually I just squeeze it in and put towels around it, I was surprised to see it was loose.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/PK981SPARE.html
Old 06-08-2021, 01:01 PM   #6
JST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Yes I agree, it would suck to have to have someone driving my car around just to find out I’m a dummy who didn’t check the frunk.

While I was there cancelling the appointment I told them I had an Inspection warning that I thought they forgot to reset at the February service, it ends up the car is almost 2 years old and they said I need another service ... it consists of oil change (just done in February), wiper blades, air cleaners changed and brake fluid change ...

I’ll go back eventually to have them do the brake fluid change though it sucks that a car with 3k miles needs this done but they say it’s a time thing not a mileage think.

It is inflatable though I am not sure of the size, I got it at Suncoast (see link below) how do you suggest I secure it ? Usually I just squeeze it in and put towels around it, I was surprised to see it was loose.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/PK981SPARE.html
It's up to you, but I don't think you need wiper blades unless the blades seem like they aren't cleaning well, and I wouldn't get the oil changed for at least a year since the last change (less seems wasteful, honestly, given the mileage you drive). I also think replacing the air cleaners on a 3K mile car is a bit nuts.

As for the brake fluid? Yeah, I'd do that once every couple of years.

I haven't seen a 981 frunk, so I don't know if there's anything in there you could run a bungee cord through (are there removable panels like in the 987?). That would be my first choice.

The 986 spare fits pretty snugly in the 987 without moving, so I haven't really had to explore options.

EDIT: This post might help; he's using the 986 spare but the place he hooked the cargo strap would presumably work for yours, too.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...987-981-a.html
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 01:09 PM   #7
Nick M3
Relic

Brake fluid is supposed to be done every two years, although people let it slip.

Letting the brake fluid sit for too long results in gunk and residue and possibly corrosion. The issue is that brake fluid absorbs water. This is good, because you do NOT want pockets of water in your brake system. But it's bad in that it eventually makes the brake fluid shitty.
1995 M3 S50B32
1990 325is
1989 M3 S54B32

Hers:
1989 325iX
1996 911 Turbo

Nick M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 05:28 PM   #8
Alan
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
It's up to you, but I don't think you need wiper blades unless the blades seem like they aren't cleaning well, and I wouldn't get the oil changed for at least a year since the last change (less seems wasteful, honestly, given the mileage you drive). I also think replacing the air cleaners on a 3K mile car is a bit nuts.

As for the brake fluid? Yeah, I'd do that once every couple of years.

I haven't seen a 981 frunk, so I don't know if there's anything in there you could run a bungee cord through (are there removable panels like in the 987?). That would be my first choice.

The 986 spare fits pretty snugly in the 987 without moving, so I haven't really had to explore options.

EDIT: This post might help; he's using the 986 spare but the place he hooked the cargo strap would presumably work for yours, too.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...987-981-a.html

Thanks for the info and the link I am going to check it out !!
Old 06-08-2021, 06:05 PM   #9
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
I used to secure my M3 spare with ratcheting tie downs—but there were lash points in the trunk—or whatever you call those metal thingies.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 07:45 PM   #10
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M3 View Post
Brake fluid is supposed to be done every two years, although people let it slip.

Letting the brake fluid sit for too long results in gunk and residue and possibly corrosion. The issue is that brake fluid absorbs water. This is good, because you do NOT want pockets of water in your brake system. But it's bad in that it eventually makes the brake fluid shitty.
True-- except on a Tesla cause they dont require any service ever. Sorry- couldn't resist.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote