carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 07-14-2020, 09:38 PM   #111
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
The removable roof if the only reason I want a wrangler or Bronco. Otherwise my LR4 is already better in nearly every way.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 10:13 PM   #112
lemming
Western Anomaly

Carmudgeonly Ride: White Orca
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
The critique that the Bronco is a flash in the pan retro product is valid...but then again the Bronco is a far more serious effort to directly target the Wrangler than the FJ Cruiser was. The top issue is really critical; I think a lot of ppl buy wranglers not to go off road but because they are convertibles.

I like the Bronco. I like the way it looks and I appreciate the idea that I could take the roof off. I’d like a 2 door, so the fact that that doesn’t come in a soft top isn’t appealing, but I’m curious about how the “modular” top works.

Modular tops are not terrible. It just looks stupid when you pop out the front two sections above the two front seats and the rest of the hard top is still on.

You’d be surprised how hard it is to buy a soft top only Jeep. Dealers really don’t stock them. They try to sell hardtops only.

“Security”.

LOL.

lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 07:23 AM   #113
ff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
The top issue is really critical; I think a lot of ppl buy wranglers not to go off road but because they are convertibles.
I'm not convinced. I can't recall the last time I've seen someone driving around in one with the top off. If they are buying them primarily for that reason, then the process of removing/storing/reinstalling the top must be painful enough that they're not willing to bother with it.

Just like the new Bronco, most people almost certainly buy these as trendy fashion accessories.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 07:58 AM   #114
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff View Post
I'm not convinced. I can't recall the last time I've seen someone driving around in one with the top off. If they are buying them primarily for that reason, then the process of removing/storing/reinstalling the top must be painful enough that they're not willing to bother with it.

Just like the new Bronco, most people almost certainly buy these as trendy fashion accessories.
I see them off frequently here in ATL.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 08:03 AM   #115
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdc330i View Post
I see them often enough April-October that it's not unusal.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 08:21 AM   #116
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
Quote:
They were clearly the unofficial car of Martha's Vineyard, that's for sure. On the island most of them had the roof off.

Saw LOTS of Land Rovers too. Predictably plenty fancy new/late model ones, but a surprisingly crazy number of older Defenders, early Disco's, etc. Between Wranglers, LR's, and Hybrid/EV's you probably had >80% of non-commercial vehicles covered.

Last edited by FC; 07-15-2020 at 08:46 AM.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 08:42 AM   #117
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
With the exception of ones used as for mail delivery, almost all I see around upper South Carolina are stripped down. Especially of the weekends.
Old 07-15-2020, 09:40 AM   #118
jpgurl
Carmudgeon

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 MACH-E; '74 Austin Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
For sure. Just saying that the reality is most people who buy this will do so for the style and not for the capability. Same thing goes for the wrangler though.
The ability to remove at least some of the top was definitely part of the appeal for me; getting back into a "convertible".

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemming View Post
Modular tops are not terrible. It just looks stupid when you pop out the front two sections above the two front seats and the rest of the hard top is still on.
If you are a single person, without a hoist, getting the main top off would be practically impossible. And if you don't have a garage and it rains, you can't run outside to get the hardtop back on. I like the ability to remove the front section, it's manageable for one person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
I'm also left wondering what percentage of people buying them will ever use them in the manner the lifestyle marketing is selling? More than once or twice a year?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ff View Post
Just like the new Bronco, most people almost certainly buy [Wranglers] as trendy fashion accessories.
True. But fun fashion accessories. The same could be said for any supposedly track-capable car that's also used as a DD. 99% of people will never drive their sports cars at the limits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
I see them often enough April-October that it's not unusal.
With the last Wrangler I owned, the top was down or off more in the winter here in TX than the summer. Because otherwise I would burst into flames. I imagine with my new Rubicon, it will be similar this coming winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC View Post
If I lived near wilderness and off-roading trails I'd certainly use them, but I don't.
There's a place called Hidden Falls Adventure Park about an hour outside of Austin, and once it's not 100° outside I am excited to take Jeep.
jpgurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 10:13 AM   #119
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgurl View Post

With the last Wrangler I owned, the top was down or off more in the winter here in TX than the summer. Because otherwise I would burst into flames.

wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 10:31 AM   #120
kognito
older fart than ZBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgurl View Post

There's a place called Hidden Falls Adventure Park about an hour outside of Austin, and once it's not 100° outside I am excited to take Jeep.
I remember seeing signs for that place. We sometimes used to go down 281 to Canyon Lakes instead of I35. with all the traveling we did by RV, most times it was much less stressful to stay off the interstates and really SEE America