carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 03-02-2020, 07:41 PM   #11
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Something missing from the criteria list is use case. Is it a car that only gets a couple thousand miles a year? Or is something that needs to go 20k/year?

From a strictly dollars sensitive position, the 2008 Accord EX-L V6 w/Nav (eighth gen) I just bought for my kids makes a very strong case for itself. I've liked the 9th gen cars I've driven in practical terms. They're bland appliances, but just do their thing very, very well without inspiring rage in car people like the other appliancemobiles.

The new vs very recent used car market is still really weird. Not sure if my current Camaro experience is the best barometer, but I'm not sure the cost difference on a used current or last year's model is worth it for the time and miles you lose from the original warranty. This is a $46k MSRP car that will go new with a substantial discount, but identical used ones with 3-12 months of warranty used and 1-12k miles can only be had for about $1-2k less than a brand new one.

True - let’s say 12k a year. i agree that accords (and civics) get a pass from die hard car people. They have just enough cred.

How long do you see holding onto that accord?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 07:52 PM   #12
FC
Solving problems

Carmudgeonly Ride: M5 / 718 GTS / Cooper S / GTI / LR4
LR4 is 6.5yo and I’d be pissed if we don’t keep it for 10+ years. I hope to keep the M3 that long. I doubt any newer MT sedan will come out to lure me into replacing it.

I wish I could buy a 718 GTS. I mire I could hold it for 10+ years easily. If I had the room and money, I would have held my old 987S as well.
FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 08:05 PM   #13
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
True - let’s say 12k a year. i agree that accords (and civics) get a pass from die hard car people. They have just enough cred.

How long do you see holding onto that accord?

The goal/hope is to make it through summer 2022 and 200k (from 181k) without needing more than $2k in repairs and then see where we are.

My older daughter has her license and is driving it every day now. Expectation is she will leave the car here when leaving for college in the fall. My younger daughter will get her license about that time and then drive it every day. When the older daughter is in town, they will have to figure out who gets to drive it at a given time. Kinda interested in seeing how that turns out.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 08:57 PM   #14
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
GT Silver /Espresso 991.2 C2 Cab with 10,082 miles and a 05/02/2017 in service date
Ha! Great!

I can see keeping my 2 convertible that long, especially if I add a beater/hauler in the mix. It’s 3 years old and has 13k miles at this point. It’s a 2017, so the tech is livable, too,
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 10:12 PM   #15
JST

Quote:
Was thinking more of practical/4 door/daily driver type cars. Curious though- doesn't have to be exact but what would you estimate the average monthly cost to be for your 987 taking into account: maintenance, repairs, depreciation, interest/opportunity cost?
It's hard to say; I'd have to tote up the receipts. Depreciation is probably 10K max. I'd guess I average about $1000/year on maintenance; most years it's less but there have been a couple of bigger bills. So, $167/mo? Plus insurance but that's really too hard to unpack.

Keep in mind I don't drive it much; if I had, the depreciation and maintenance probably would have been a fair amount higher (though I don't know about double).
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 10:17 AM   #16
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
It's hard to say; I'd have to tote up the receipts. Depreciation is probably 10K max. I'd guess I average about $1000/year on maintenance; most years it's less but there have been a couple of bigger bills. So, $167/mo? Plus insurance but that's really too hard to unpack.

Keep in mind I don't drive it much; if I had, the depreciation and maintenance probably would have been a fair amount higher (though I don't know about double).

Wow. Not bad to have a Porsche in the garage even if you don’t get a chance to drive it much. If you only had 1 car would it be any of your current vehicles or something else?

Old 03-03-2020, 10:59 AM   #17
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Not bad to have a Porsche in the garage

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 11:08 AM   #18
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
1. Get a garage
2. Get a Porsche

Oops!

wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 11:49 AM   #19
JST

Quote:
Wow. Not bad to have a Porsche in the garage even if you don’t get a chance to drive it much. If you only had 1 car would it be any of your current vehicles or something else?

Just one car? I'd try and make the Tesla work. It does everything pretty well, and the very few times I'd need to go beyond its range I'd rent something.

The Porsche is clearly the low-cost champ now, though, and honestly if you want a cheap daily and are OK with 2 seats, I think a 987 Cayman would do it.

I like the BMW, and it is close to the last of its kind (stick, high performance, etc), but the Tesla is nicer and more relaxing to drive, is much cheaper to run,* and is faster around town. Oh and it can carry more stuff. The few times I get to drive the BMW like it's meant to be driven wouldn't really make up for that.

*not including depreciation, because I bought the BMW used, so it already was 25K cheaper than it was new. But the BMW just had a $2000 36,000 mile service, which included $1400 to change the spark plugs, and it costs me $50 every week to fill up. The Tesla, at this point, doesn't have any annual or periodic maintenance required and costs probably a tenth of that to run.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 03:59 PM   #20
robg
Carmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
Just one car? I'd try and make the Tesla work. It does everything pretty well, and the very few times I'd need to go beyond its range I'd rent something.

The Porsche is clearly the low-cost champ now, though, and honestly if you want a cheap daily and are OK with 2 seats, I think a 987 Cayman would do it.

I like the BMW, and it is close to the last of its kind (stick, high performance, etc), but the Tesla is nicer and more relaxing to drive, is much cheaper to run,* and is faster around town. Oh and it can carry more stuff. The few times I get to drive the BMW like it's meant to be driven wouldn't really make up for that.

*not including depreciation, because I bought the BMW used, so it already was 25K cheaper than it was new. But the BMW just had a $2000 36,000 mile service, which included $1400 to change the spark plugs, and it costs me $50 every week to fill up. The Tesla, at this point, doesn't have any annual or periodic maintenance required and costs probably a tenth of that to run.
Yeah figured the Tesla would be it. Even bought new, a base Model 3 could probably be owned for the equivalent of my (arbitrary) $300/month figure over 10 years. A bit more of a wildcard than a Camcord to be sure though.

Even if you did use the Porsche as a daily, I'm guessing the monthly cost would still work out to be less than 300 which is pretty incredible.

Seems like you've solved this riddle.