carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 11-13-2017, 01:46 PM   #41
Plaz
•••••••

Carmudgeonly Ride: '11 1M
Yeah, my V1 just sits in my glovebox. I figure I'd break it out if I was in the middle of some unpopulated area and wanted to go fast, but it hasn't happened yet since I started using Waze.

There have been some bugs (landscape orientation startup problem, audio output destination problem) that have cropped up and annoyed me, but they always seem to be fixed in a few days with an update.
Old 11-13-2017, 03:12 PM   #42
bren
lawn boy

Carmudgeonly Ride: e46m3, f25x3,C5 Z06, C4 Vette, 06 CTD Ram, and a trailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V View Post
It tends to be pretty good here, too, but I can't stand that they don't let you turn off warnings about hazards. It's a constant annoyance that makes the police warnings not worth it.
I would just like to disable the car on shoulder warnings. What is it with people reporting that constantly.
bren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 03:18 PM   #43
dan
redefined

What's wrong with that warning? Or any of them really? More information is better than less
Old 11-13-2017, 03:38 PM   #44
John V
No more BMWs

Carmudgeonly Ride: Ram, MS3, CX-5, RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by undefined View Post
What's wrong with that warning? Or any of them really? More information is better than less
It's a "boy who cried wolf" thing. I'm generally listening to music or a podcast when Waze notifies me that there's a hazard ahead (typically a car stopped on the shoulder). I don't really care if there's a car stopped on a shoulder. I don't even really care if there's roadkill ahead, or a pothole. There are also red light cameras all over DC / Maryland / VA. I don't run red lights, so I don't care. Maybe it's just here, but these things happen enough that the interruption is really irritating to me and makes me likely to ignore it whenever it calls out a hazard... so I might very well miss one that is important. Users have asked over and over again to allow us to turn off those notifications but... no dice.

The police don't really speed trap my normal commute to and from work, so I don't use Waze commuting anymore... just on long trips. Mostly in Virginia, because their freeways typically have a cop every ten miles, and in DC, where there is a speed camera roughly every square mile.

edit: Bren, I was told that Waze gives you "points" for reporting stuff and that these points get you some sort of status in the app.
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:42 PM   #45
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
I would just like to disable the car on shoulder warnings. What is it with people reporting that constantly.
I know. I think that every time it bitches at me about a car off on the shoulder. One time it was 20 feet off the road onto a grass field.

I don't see why waze doesn't just let you select the warnings you want. It would be so simple.

Overall though it's still a huge win. Yes it doesn't get all the cops. But 2/3 is still fine by me.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:53 PM   #46
JST

2/3 is nowhere near good enough. The accuracy has to be close to 100 percent or you can’t really rely on it. If your driving in a way that will let you avoid the 1/3 of the cops Waze doesn’t pick up, then you’re likely to have avoided the 2/3 it does pick up even if you weren’t using it.
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:53 PM   #47
JST

*you’re driving
JST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:46 PM   #48
wdc330i
dogged

Carmudgeonly Ride: '22 M440 xDrive GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
*you’re driving
thank you for the edit.
wdc330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:47 PM   #49
kognito
older fart than ZBB

yeah, turning off disabled cars would be nice. But, the other day on I 85 near me someone had tagged a car on the side of the road. . . .turned out to be an unmarked cop car Where is the filter for idiots posting?

and time to split this into a waze thread
Old 11-14-2017, 12:27 AM   #50
rumatt
Mugwump

Carmudgeonly Ride: E46 330i, Chevy Colorado, Tesla Model 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
2/3 is nowhere near good enough.
I disagree.

Between waze and my V1 it's rare that I'm surprised by a cop. Does this mean I can drive 150 mph everywhere without thinking and never get a ticket? Of course not. But I (and I think most people) tend to exceed the speed limit, waze or not. I've gotten more tickets when driving "slowly" than when pushing it. Mostly because I was zoning out and not paying attention. If Waze can get rid of 2/3 of these tickets over my lifetime, I'll take it.

I do find the speed trap situation annoying. The cop is marked where he was sitting, but he's now out giving someone a ticket. And also marked there. This happens a lot for me and is worse than the parked car issue.
rumatt is offline   Reply With Quote