carmudgeons.com  

Go Back   carmudgeons.com > Automotive Forums > Car Talk > Perseverators Anonymous

Old 12-26-2017, 02:00 PM   #91
equ
Alphanumeric

Carmudgeonly Ride: 981S, 340i
All current 4runner models have braking simulated diffs.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
equ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 08:10 PM   #92
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI

After just driving in Denver during snow and after I can see why awd would be nice if your get snow.

Edit. Didn’t know SCA had a 4-runner. Good car taste
Jeff_DML is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 08:34 PM   #93
Jeff_DML
Old Fart

Carmudgeonly Ride: T4R,GTI
As for HIDs I installed these and I am pretty impressed with the light output, Very OEM like.

http://www.xenondepot.com/H11-HID-Ki...D-p/xt-h11.htm
Jeff_DML is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 09:18 PM   #94
equ
Alphanumeric

Oh that's right. Between ff, SCA and you there are at least three 4runners on mudgeons.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:01 AM   #95
ff

The small-ish footprint was another thing that I liked about the 4Runner. It was plenty roomy inside (as long as you don't need a 3rd row of seats), without being big on the outside. It fit our family's needs quite well.

I haven't priced 4Runners any time in recent history, but the two examples that you sent over seemed to be priced fairly. 125K is a healthy number of miles on the 2008, but it appears to be in such nice condition. The owners seemed to have cared for it really well. I think it's worth a closer look.

The 2011 does throw up a caution flag for me, though, because trade-in value for that example is higher than what a dealer is asking. Possible that it has some previous body damage.
ff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 10:51 AM   #96
SCA
Jaded

I no longer own a 4R. I did not enjoy my 5th Gen 4Runner (2014 Limited AWD) nearly as much as the previously owned 4th Gen 4Runner (2007 SR5 4WD). Truthfully, I despised the 5th Gen and after nearly three years of ownership and 21,XXX miles I sold the 5th Gen to a local Toyota dealer for $5k less than I purchased it new. Note, I owned the 4th Gen for seven years and put on 57,000 problem-free miles. Depreciation on my 4th Gen was nearly $1300 annually.

Last edited by SCA; 12-31-2017 at 11:42 AM.
SCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 02:45 PM   #97
equ
Alphanumeric

Good input, guys, many thanks.

So I drove the 2011 4runner limited. Compared to a similar year GX460, it didn't feel slower, despite not having the v8. It actually felt lighter, more grippy and less tippy. It also has the much better rear door.

But and it's a big but, somehow I hadn't minded the GX steering, or perhaps I had even liked the hydraulic feel that is disappearing these days. The 4runner seemed to have very loosey goosey disconnected steering. Like sawing at the wheel. Not sure if any tie rods or ball joints was wrong with that particular one. At 20k miles, I doubt it. Tire pressures were a bit too much, 37psi all around. The test drive was late in the day, on a dark, cold night on unfamiliar roads. I thought it was all right but I didn't really fall in love. Controls, while simple, are very different than all the german machinery I've driven straight for 18 years. I found myself having to turn the dome light on to find and operate secondary controls (something I haven't done since the 996).

Maybe I would like the 2014+ facelift better, but mechanically they should be identical.

I'd be happy to try the 4th gen. There are very few below 100k miles though and they still ask for a lot. Around here, they can be rusty too.

Anything against the 4th gen v8? Simply not necessary?
Old 12-31-2017, 02:50 PM   #98
equ
Alphanumeric

So the test drive of the 4runner was mid-week. Yesterday I did venture out to give the Jeep GC another shot, or even look at a Wrangler with a manual. Awful day to ask for a drive as it is the busiest car shopping day of the year in NJ. A ton of customers looking for that deal and every salesmen/women running around inking paperwork.

Only able to sit, the JGC seemed much nicer inside than the 4runner but with less space, especially cargo space. The wrangler is not going to work for us. C. did not get comfortable with 'call of duty' and what not badging and lifts all around. Back seat is not comfortable in the Unlimited and the cargo is even worse than the GC. Coupled with the locked 4wd vs. AWD of the JGC, it felt like a no-brainer for us to skip it, even if it comes with a manual.

So kinda back to square one. Neither is a vehicle I can get excited about, but 4runner and JGC are still sort of in the running. I haven't figured out how much spec I want in the JGC. The trims with the top AWD system are expensive. I don't need a leather dash in my SUV but I would like the best traction there is, so some searching/learning and hopefully driving to do.

A dark horse, third candidate are the Cayenne/Touareg TDI twins. They are being released for sale. There are no Touaregs below 45k miles in my 100 mile radius. Cayennes are expensive.
Old 12-31-2017, 05:48 PM   #99
clyde
Chief title editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by equ View Post
Awful day to ask for a drive as it is the busiest car shopping day of the year in NJ. A ton of customers looking for that deal and every salesmen/women running around inking paperwork.
I almost went out to try doing a thing today, but didn't happen.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 05:58 PM   #100
equ
Alphanumeric

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
I almost went out to try doing a thing today, but didn't happen.
There is a law in NJ that prohibits car sales on Sundays. It's actually good for the family life of sales folk who may end up taking not enough (no) days off. So that day was the 30th.

Bummer for me, as Sunday is my freest day and I shop for cars as if it's my job.